FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tilted intercooler

Post Thanks / Like

Tilted intercooler

I bought Wayne madison’s Kit as a roller last month. He just could not find the time to finish it. The intercooler is tilted with the passenger side 1 1/2 inch higher than the driver side. I don’t see how to attach it to make it level. the bypass valve on the turbo prevents the passenger side from going down.
    Last edited by Hojo; 06-15-2018 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hojo, congrats on buying the roller and joining a fun family of FFR builders. The intercooler is normally mounted on two arms, as shown as #2 and #3 in this copy from the factory service manual. If your intercooler is not stock, of other mods have been made, then please post a photo so we can be more help. Again, welcome and have fun completing this 818.

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    My donor was a light roll over and the right arm was bent down about 3/4 and the left side was bent up 1/2”. It took a little time to bend and tweak back into shape to fit the hoses and engine cover to fit to my liking

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that on my donor, the turbo cover and the bracket had been removed, so only the driver side bracket and the various hose connections were holding it in place. That is currently how I have it mounted, which is not the best, but it works and is pretty flat.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    most likely the bracket is just bent, as stated before.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    After some research my intercooler looks like the bigger STI one. The passenger side bracket is there and the drivers side bracket is missing. The bracket is not long enough by 2 inches and even if it was long enough it doesn’t rise high enough to hold the intercooler above the waste gate because the aluminum intake duct touches the waste gate 377FF91F-E667-445A-A8FD-F66E6ABBD560.jpg377FF91F-E667-445A-A8FD-F66E6ABBD560.jpg. If I add a spacer and an extension to the bracket I can’t get the drivers side bracket high enough to level the intercooler.
    Last edited by Hojo; 06-27-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wing mount 2.JPG wing mount rear.JPG here is a couple of shots of my STi TMIC mounted to the WRX mounts. My car is an R and have ducted air from the R/S hump, I did tweak the brackets to tilt the back of the IC and installed a seal so the engine cover seals to the top of the IC. What I have done isn't as efficient on an S as plumbing air from the side scoops because of the windshield.
    TMIC Duct 1.jpgTMIC Duct 2.jpg TMIC underside 4.jpg
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 06-28-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I continue to learn more about my 818, I thought the problem was only that the STI Ic was so wide that it extended over the waste gate solonoid and that was why the IC didn’t clear the double bubble fiberglass piece. I invested in a WRX IC at the local yard and installed it. The 2 pipes under the IC touch the crossbar and the top of the IC holds the fiberglass up about 1/2 inch above alignment. I am now officially stumped. I could modify the crossbar or cut a hole in the fiberglass or blame the dog