Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: WIRING HELP: Ron Francis & Holley Sniper EFI Harnesses Marriage

Post Thanks / Like

WIRING HELP: Ron Francis & Holley Sniper EFI Harnesses Marriage

As per suggestions from many members I'm starting a new thread that will include as much foundation information about my build as possible so this thread may help other future builders. Also, as one member suggested, I'm including my building location: Bethpage, Long Island. From reading this it is apparent I'm NOT a wiring expert, and can get confused at what is most likely very basic wiring logic.

I have the standard Ron Francis (RF) wiring harness that can with the kit.
    I'm installing the standard AutoMeter gauges supplied with the kit (except using a mechanical speedometer).
    The engine (383 stroker Chevy) came complete with a Holley Sniper EFI (#550-510) already physically installed w/sensors and wiring done on the engine side.
    DON'T have a external coil - looks like I have two spade connectors available on the cap (facing down).
    IdidIt steering column (FFR option).

According to Holley, all I need to do is hook up the EFI harness YELLOW wire to the "-" side on the coil (or in my case, the "-" terminal on the distributor?), PINK wire to the ignition switch (even though the instructional diagram for Holley show the wire (I think) going also to the distributor), BLUE wire (power) to the fuel pump, BROWN wire to the tach, RED wire directly to battery "+" and BLK wire directly to battery "-."

I'll try to continue to add question/answers to this main body so it can serve as a better guide to someone like me (wiring challenged) down the road. Possible create a WORD document.

Starting with the RF harness:

A) The front harness with the front lights, horn and radiator fan seems self explanatory (good FFR manual instructions - including by-passing the horn button for the horn button on the IdidIt steering column).

B) Rear harness for the rear lights and license plate light self explanatory - Except the TAN fuel pump power and BLK ground wire.
    QUESTION: Since the Holley Sniper EFI wire harness includes its own (BLUE) power wire, would I just use the Holley BLUE wire, and just tape off the TAN fuel pump power line and the BLK ground line? I'm going to ground the electric fuel pump directly to the chassis.
    ANSWER:

C) RF light switch harness just plugs in - no issues

D) RF Alternator harness:
    QUESTION: Since I have a ONE-WIRE alternator, I just use the larger RED wire, and not attach the smaller brown wire? This brown wire would also be left unconnected to the ignition switch? Just verifying instructions.
    ANSWER:

E) Ignition harness: Harness wires attached to the ignition switch as per FFR instructions - no issues. As mentioned in (D), I'm leaving the second brown wire off the ignition switch since I have a ONE-WIRE alternator.

F) For now the solenoid harness is simply hooked up based on the FFR instructions.
    QUESTION: While the Holley EFI instruction say to connect the PINK wire to the ignition switch, what terminal on the ignition switch would/can I connect too?
    ANSWER:

QUESTION: Or can I simply connect it to the solenoid block and if so what terminal on it?
    ANSWER:

G) Holley Sniper EFI BROWN harness wire goes to tach. GO TO (I)

H) Holley Sniper EFI YELLOW harness wire goes to the coil (in my case distributor) "-" side. GO TO (I)

I) QUESTION: Assuming answers to (G) & (H) are correct in some form, do I NOT use the RF's ORANGE wire (named "coil or EFI") and RF's PURPLE wire (named "Coil tach")?
    ANSWER:

QUESTION: Also, there's a RF BLUE wire with the above grouping (named "EFI crank"), is this also NOT used, or would this be possibly connected the to Holley Sniper EFI PINK wire (see (F)?
    ANSWER:

J) Sending unit harness.
    QUESTION: With my EFI setup, assume I don't use the TAN electric choke wire?
    ANSWER:

QUESTION: While the Holley Sniper EFI setup has a water temp sensor sending computer data, I would think I would still hook up the GREEN fan thermostat wire? Just verifying.
    ANSWER:

K) QUESTION: Since I have the IdidIt steering column, I'm assuming except for the LOW/HIGH beam toggle switch, I DO NOT have to use/connect all the wires that would normally go to the HAZARD toggle switch?, and the TURN SIGNAL toggle switch?
    ANSWER:

L) While I assume the answer to (K) is that there is no need to connect the two toggle switches, I do need to connect the indicator lights.
    QUESTION: Can I use the non-LED indicator lights in place of the LED lights supplied with the kit?

ANSWER:

Enough for now - I hope anyone who has my setup or close to it can help fill in the blanks for me and future builders.
    Walter

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty difficult and dangerous to try and decipher wiring without wiring diagrams of what you are installing, so that might be why your not getting much input. I'll try to fill in some of the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by racephotoman View Post

A) The front harness with the front lights, horn and radiator fan seems self explanatory (good FFR manual instructions - including by-passing the horn button for the horn button on the IdidIt steering column).

B) Rear harness for the rear lights and license plate light self explanatory - Except the TAN fuel pump power and BLK ground wire.
    QUESTION: Since the Holley Sniper EFI wire harness includes its own (BLUE) power wire, would I just use the Holley BLUE wire, and just tape off the TAN fuel pump power line and the BLK ground line? I'm going to ground the electric fuel pump directly to the chassis.
    ANSWER: You can do that, but it's best to also pull the fuse on the fuel pump circuit if your not using it. I really don't like to have extra wires just taped up so I would take the circuit out, but that's just me.

C) RF light switch harness just plugs in - no issues

D) RF Alternator harness:
    QUESTION: Since I have a ONE-WIRE alternator, I just use the larger RED wire, and not attach the smaller brown wire? This brown wire would also be left unconnected to the ignition switch? Just verifying instructions.
    ANSWER: Correct, you don't need the brown wire. It's the exciter wire that sends juice to the alternator so it will charge. A one wire does this internally so you don;t need the extra wire.

E) Ignition harness: Harness wires attached to the ignition switch as per FFR instructions - no issues. As mentioned in (D), I'm leaving the second brown wire off the ignition switch since I have a ONE-WIRE alternator.

F) For now the solenoid harness is simply hooked up based on the FFR instructions.
    QUESTION: While the Holley EFI instruction say to connect the PINK wire to the ignition switch, what terminal on the ignition switch would/can I connect too?
    ANSWER: You will connect it to the "Run" terminal (not sure how it's labeled on your switch)

QUESTION: Or can I simply connect it to the solenoid block and if so what terminal on it?
    ANSWER:The solenoid is really just for the starter to function, no other circuits need to connect to it.

H) Holley Sniper EFI YELLOW harness wire goes to the coil (in my case distributor) "-" side. GO TO (I)

I) QUESTION: Assuming answers to (G) & (H) are correct in some form, do I NOT use the RF's ORANGE wire (named "coil or EFI") and RF's PURPLE wire (named "Coil tach")?
    ANSWER: I'd need some diagrams to give a good answer to this.

QUESTION: Also, there's a RF BLUE wire with the above grouping (named "EFI crank"), is this also NOT used, or would this be possibly connected the to Holley Sniper EFI PINK wire (see (F)?
    ANSWER:I'd need some diagrams to give a good answer to this.

J) Sending unit harness.
    ANSWER:No you don't need it for the EFI, but you could use it for anything that needs a constant 12v in the "run" position of the key

QUESTION: While the Holley Sniper EFI setup has a water temp sensor sending computer data, I would think I would still hook up the GREEN fan thermostat wire? Just verifying.

K) QUESTION: Since I have the IdidIt steering column, I'm assuming except for the LOW/HIGH beam toggle switch, I DO NOT have to use/connect all the wires that would normally go to the HAZARD toggle switch?, and the TURN SIGNAL toggle switch?

L) While I assume the answer to (K) is that there is no need to connect the two toggle switches, I do need to connect the indicator lights.
    QUESTION: Can I use the non-LED indicator lights in place of the LED lights supplied with the kit?

ANSWER:Yes

Enough for now - I hope anyone who has my setup or close to it can help fill in the blanks for me and future builders.
    Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    OK A) The front harness with the front lights, horn and radiator fan seems self explanatory (good FFR manual instructions - including by-passing the horn button for the horn button on the IdidIt steering column).

ANSWER: You can do that, but it's best to also pull the fuse on the fuel pump circuit if your not using it. I really don't like to have extra wires just taped up so I would take the circuit out, but that's just me.
    QUESTION: Am I correct that I could use this TAN fuel pump wire for my auto trans that requires a Key-On source of 12V? Or use the TAN Electric Choke wire not being use (see J)

OK OK C) RF light switch harness just plugs in - no issues

OK D) RF Alternator harness:
    ANSWER: Correct, you don't need the brown wire. It's the exciter wire that sends juice to the alternator so it will charge. A one wire does this internally so you don;t need the extra wire.

OK E) Ignition harness: Harness wires attached to the ignition switch as per FFR instructions - no issues. As mentioned in (D), I'm leaving the second brown wire off the ignition switch since I have a ONE-WIRE alternator.

ANSWER: You will connect it to the "Run" terminal (not sure how it's labeled on your switch)

ANSWER:The solenoid is really just for the starter to function, no other circuits need to connect to it.
    QUESTION: I can connect the Holley PINK wire (F on the list-see image) to the terminal marked IGNITION (see image)
    IMG_1886.jpgIMG_1887.jpg

ANSWER: I'd need some diagrams to give a good answer to this.
    IMG_1885.JPG

OK J) Sending unit harness.
    ANSWER:No you don't need it for the EFI, but you could use it for anything that needs a constant 12v in the "run" position of the key

Checked the wiring diagram and see where this wire goes - a radiator fan switch on the dash to override the thermostat if needed.

OK K) QUESTION: Since I have the IdidIt steering column, I'm assuming except for the LOW/HIGH beam toggle switch, I DO NOT have to use/connect all the wires that would normally go to the HAZARD toggle switch?, and the TURN SIGNAL toggle switch?
    FFR answered that yes the use of the steering bypasses the need to hook up any of these wires. Just the indicator lights need to be hooked up.

OK L) While I assume the answer to (K) is that there is no need to connect the two toggle switches, I do need to connect the indicator lights.

ANSWER:Yes