BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS Engine with Standard Hood owners please help - other LS questions too

Post Thanks / Like

LS Engine with Standard Hood owners please help - other LS questions too

Hi everyone,

I have multiple questions regarding LS engine in a 33 hot rod. I have been working on putting this build together for a while now. I am a research and then implement type of person. I have a few questions left then I am ready to throw down on a kit. I already did the build school.

1) Hood /Engine Clearance:

I had the opportunity to build an engine before ordering a kit. I was told from the factory, that a Vortec engine would pop right in and fit under the standard hood. So I made sure that no matter what I did, the new intake was equal or lower than the Vortec intake. I ended up getting a Holly Midrise intake which matches the Vortec height. But then I was in Scottsdale for B&J auction, and saw an LS car. I am not so sure it will fit anymore. I was hoping someone else has an LS under a standard hood and can measure from the engine block "Plane" to the bottom of the hood around the area of the Throttle body since that will be the highest point of the engine. I am assuming a L Square off the block (not valley cover) with tape measure will work for this. Any help would be much appreciated. I am sure the extra clearance hood will work, but I like the look of the standard version. I am on the fence of changing the intake or getting the extra clearance hood.

2) Affordable Silicone Air Intake Tube 92mm
    I have been told multiple times to make sure I do not put the filter right off the TB and make sure I have at least 10 inches of tubing. However I see others that have done this and are racing that way. Is there anything with simple Black Silicone under $100 that will work? Everything I see is gaudy and $400. What degree of bend do I need to clear the radiator and engine? 75 degrees? 80? This will just be a street car and black fits the color scheme. Honestly I do not like the look of the big tube and rather put the filter off the TB. Yes, I know it hurts horse power and such, but does it matter for a street car running 400-500 HP in a 2000lbs car? Or is there all sorts of idle issues etc?

3)Coil relocation
    Due to my valve cover setup (vintage hot rod look), I would like to relocate the coils. Has anybody done this? Off the firewall seems to be the only place. Out of everything I have researched this is what I came up with. Proform 69520 Coil re-locators/ TSP 81020BK (60) 81015-8 (192) 81024 (60) 81021 (24)/ MSD Wire Comments or suggestions?

4)Tuning
    I have a 370CI LS 2004 Blue/green computer, 6.0 30 over (370cc), Holly Midrise, 36lb injectors & hot cam. Locally they want $600+ to get a tune. I am not racing and just using for street use and on a budget. This engine is so overkill for this car it seems I could possibly get an unlock and generic tune that will be good enough for $100-150 by sending it somewhere. It is not about maximizing every drop of HP out of this thing. Of course I want it to idle correct etc.. I was going to use PSI wiring and the stock computer. Any comments? Suggestion on where to get a decent setup and unlocked over the internet? I know PSI will unlock, but they said do not bother if you are going to get it tuned. (It seems like it is more of an unlock then any suggested parameters being entered.)

5) 4l65e - Stall and Lokar shifter
    Suggested Stall = 3200-3500. Any comments from anyone that has done this? Is 3200 barely enough or 3500 too much? I see a Lokar shifter available, but I do not know if it needs to be Trans mount, Floor mount or floor mount with cable. Also I would like my arm to be relaxed like most cars at a 90-110 degree angle at the elbow. I am assuming the shortest one they make which I believe is 8 inches for automatic? Any guidance or part numbers?

6) Transmission Installation Kit: 19259117
    On the Connect and Cruise GM page I see there is this installation kit. Is this something I need to mount this trans? So far I am thinking no.

Thanks for all your help!
    Allusion

Post Thanks / Like
    With regards to item 2, I've found here in Australia that truck part suppliers have the cheapest silicone bends. I've done some engine conversions previously and always found that they had a multitude of bends & sizes available for a fraction of the cost of brand name or performance suppliers. Then just use polished stainless for the straight sections with a series of welded 'dots' around the leading edge of the pipe to prevent the hose from working loose or blowing off (in a forced induction application).

I've just pulled the trigger on a 33 with plans for an LS3 so can't offer anything specific to the 33 at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the middle of building a '33 with an LS3 and 4L65e using the Lokar shifter. That tranny doesn't have holes to mount the Lokar shifter directly to it. I haven't got that far yet. The standard shifter lever is only 4" tall.
    I have the intake boot, tubing, and filter. The MAF should be in a straight section of tubing 6" before any bends.
    You should be OK with that torque converter, I think mine is the same as you mentioned.
    I'm traveling and don't have any p/n info with me. If nobody post more info before I get back on Monday I'll answer back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Allusion, I bought the following from Amazon.
    K&N filter RU2590
    Spectre 4" coupler 9771
    Spectre 18" Al tube with MAF fitting 9718
    Spectre 6" Al tube
    All of the above were about $140.
    I'm still looking for the 90deg coupler, will update this post when I find it.

update
    Spectre Performance 9781 Black 4" 90 Degree Boot, $21.00

The tranny install kit includes the flex plate for the auto tranny, bolts, and 2 small plastic pieces to block off the lower sides where the tranny bolts to the engine.
    I have a new flex plate and bolts for the LS3 that I won't be using if your interested.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-18-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like
    In response to item #2 below this is what I ended up with, I bought mine from Western Motorsports "https://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/wms-high-velocity-intake-coyote-swap-kit-details.html", mine went from 3.5" to 4" right in the silicone boot on the 90, then i did not use the 9" aluminum tubing and conected direct to the filter. Just fits inside the side panel as well.
    20180421_211906.jpg 20180426_185648.jpg 20180416_194228.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I am super web savvy, but totally blog ignorant as a poster. I am also assuming some of my features are turned off until I hit a bunch of post. Maybe at some point, I can get a Team Viewer session with someone to show me the ropes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday I was looking at ways to mount the Lokar shifter to the top of the 4L65e.
    With a plate bolted to the top of the tranny and a bracket or 2 to hold it in place it looks like it will fit in the opening of the cranny cover.
    There are two side holes that can be tapped to attach brackets from the side of the tranny to a mounting plate plus a big hole in the top of the tranny.
    Lokar.JPG

DSCN2158.JPG
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-21-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Yesterday I was looking at ways to mount the Lokar shifter to the top of the 4L65e.
    With a plate bolted to the top of the tranny and a bracket or 2 to hold it in place it looks like it will fit in the opening of the cranny cover.
    There are two side holes that can be tapped to attach brackets from the side of the tranny to a mounting plate plus a big hole in the top of the tranny.
    Lokar.JPG

DSCN2158.JPG
    Hmm...... Very interesting. Will it fit inside the tunnel? I had planned to mount it to the tunnel with a console over it. I may rethink that. First I have to get Stage 2.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy, yes it fits. I may move it back some more in an attempt to get as much of it as possible below the tranny cover.
    I'll be working on it next week, pics will be posted in my build thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy, yes it fits. I may move it back some more in an attempt to get as much of it as possible below the tranny cover.
    I'll be working on it next week, pics will be posted in my build thread.
    I'll be looking forward to it Jim. What gauges do you plan to use? I am thinking of using the CAN-BUS gauges from Speedhut. The install is super simple and it reduces the dash wiring by 50%.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    I'll be looking forward to it Jim. What gauges do you plan to use? I am thinking of using the CAN-BUS gauges from Speedhut. The install is super simple and it reduces the dash wiring by 50%.
    I bought the FFR Autometer gauges and will be using them. Haven't looked into the CAN-BUS.
    Look at my ebrake post, you may need to do the same thing.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...otrod-question
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-22-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Added link

12. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the FFR Autometer gauges and will be using them. Haven't looked into the CAN-BUS.
    Look at my ebrake post, you may need to do the same thing.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...otrod-question
    I have mocked up the e-brake but since I don't have stage 2 yet I haven't run into the issue with the tunnel and seat. Did you have a problem with the floor pan hitting the transmission? I haven't decided whether to make a raised area in the floor or cut it to fit around the transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andy,
    I trimmed a little of the floor pan so it doesn't touch the side of the tranny.
    Spent some time on the ebrake today. Moving it forward isn't going to work for me. The more forward it moves the more it moves to the right cutting down the space where the passengers legs will be.
    Plan B tomorrow.

15. Thanks HVACMAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JimLev;329593]Yesterday I was looking at ways to mount the Lokar shifter to the top of the 4L65e.

FFR_1572.jpg
    On the SMG car, he has the same Lokar system but with 8" I think and looks low and flush....

Post Thanks / Like
    Allusion, I bought the following from Amazon.
    K&N filter RU2590
    Spectre 4" coupler 9771
    Spectre 18" Al tube with MAF fitting 9718
    Spectre 6" Al tube
    All of the above were about $140.
    I'm still looking for the 90deg coupler, will update this post when I find it.

update
    Spectre Performance 9781 Black 4" 90 Degree Boot, $21.00
    This K&N Looks really good (without the divider) but is over $300.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=63-3074

Post Thanks / Like
    That tranny doesn't have holes to mount the Lokar shifter directly to it. I haven't got that far yet. The standard shifter lever is only 4" tall.
    Jim, What model of Lokar shifter is it? Trans mount, Floor mount or floor mount with cable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Allusion, just saw your questions.
    It's an ESS64L60EHM cable shifter. The cable will only allow the tranny to be shifter from P, R, N, and D.
    Once your in D you can move the shifter to the right (+/-), then bump the shifter forward or backwards to manually shift it out of OD and to 3, 2, 1, or 1, 2, 3.
    By rotating the mounting tabs it can be mounted 6 different ways.
    The Lokar comes with a 4" tall shift lever, 8" can be ordered.
    If you haven't already seen pics of how I mounted the shifter see post 148.
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-s-Build/page4

Here's the 4" elbow I'm using.
    https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Perfo.../dp/B001OMM6WS
    Last edited by JimLev; 07-15-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added links