Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe Windsheild and Glass Prep

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Windsheild and Glass Prep

I am getting ready to have the Windshield installed and am thinking of having the window guy do the hatch and the side windows too. Does the surface of the body need to be prepped in any way before I have them come out? Any tips and/or techniques?

Is weatherstrip used around the inside of the side windows and the glass side of the hatch edging?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the windshield installer also install the hatch and quarter windows at the same time. For prep, carefully check for any voids on the border of each window opening and fix. Check the edge at the bottom of the hatch glass so it will fit evenly, mine required some filling. Mount the hatch on its hinges but not the gas cartridges yet. The top edge of the hatch glass is critical since it can scrape the roof when opening so make sure to have only a small gap at the bottom edge. No weatherstrip is used because the glass is laid on a bead of black adhesive. My installer spent a lot of time cleaning and prepping the surfaces before he carefully laid down the bead, then applied the glass being careful to align it and keep the height correct.

I suggest that you talk to the head of the glass company so he will realize this is a special job and send his best installer. You'll probably have to assure him that the glass is all DOT approved, which it is. In my area, there are quite a few sleazy auto glass companies that offer restaurant coupons, $100 bills, and other hooks to get business. For my roadster, daily drivers and especially my 818, I've had Safelite do the installation since I know they are reputable, though maybe more expensive. I think the installation of the 818 windshield, hatch and two quarter windows cost me $400, plus $50 tip, but I've tried to forget most expenses.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    , but I've tried to forget most expenses.
    so true. This is not a budget build, LOL