Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bend on sides of dash

Post Thanks / Like

Bend on sides of dash

I am wanting to mount some of my switches and brake bias adjuster on the area of the dash to the right of steering wheel. Specifically where it is curved to go back to the door hinge. I am considering making this a straight line instead of a curve to make mountings easier and be different. Has anyone tried or seen this? Other than aesthetics, does anyone see an issue with this?
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    It cant be done with the body mounted. Unless you really modify the dash or the body or both.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check clearance to the body. The dash curve kind of matches with the underside of the body in that area. It shouldn't get close, and if it does can make fitting the doors more difficult. I'd also suggest checking with the doors at least mocked in place. They cover part of the top of that area. You may not have as much available space as you think once you get a little ways toward the end.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tell my customer to not put anything on the dash left of the steering wheel . It messes with the curve and it's a real bear to reach anything with the wheel in the way. Without a body on you have all the room you could ever want. Once the body is on and the door is closed it's a whole new ball game...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the toggle for my turn signals just to the left of the speedo. Down for left turn and up for right. Right at my finger tips, but not in the way. I find it easy to turn them on and off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. I was trying to keep the visible buttons and knobs to a minimum. I will move to the middle and stop trying to overthink what has been proven to work.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TPM3 View Post
    I put the toggle for my turn signals just to the left of the speedo. Down for left turn and up for right. Right at my finger tips, but not in the way. I find it easy to turn them on and off.
    why wouldn't you turn that toggle 90 degrees and make left left and right right. I have 2 toggles one up and down for hi beam low beam and the other left right for the directionals20171105_133134.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a little room on that bend for things, but you do have to watch out for how thick the door is and any other obstructions. I have my ignition switch, charge light, and fresh air "pull" on that side of the dash, but note how low the pull knob is so that it clears the drain tube that I installed through bottom of the door as part of the side curtain ferrules - mimics an original car.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074