BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Registration Success! (so far)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    How did you get around CHP wanting to have engine Cal. smog compliant?? Ford A50-ex
    It is not their responsibility nor jurisdiction. Their job is to determine where the parts (mainly body, frame, engine, transmission) came from, are they legitimate, are they stolen, have they been bought or salvaged, and have the taxes been paid for them. Once that has been determined they then issue a VIN number for the entire collection of parts which makes it a legitimate vehicle. If an officer is trying to enforce some kind of emissions law at this point, they are way out of line. So, to answer your question, I did not need to get around anything, the officer was only interested in the above referenced items. (Although he did comment that it was kind of loud, but I won't have to deal with that issue until he pulls me over on the road.)

The BAR referee will designate the vehicles smog status after his inspection of the vehicle and it's paperwork, but that's a whole 'nother subject.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you get around CHP wanting to have engine Cal. smog compliant?? Ford A50-ex
    From the California Health and Safety Code:

HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE - HSC
    DIVISION 26. AIR RESOURCES [39000 - 44474] ( Division 26 repealed and added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    PART 5. VEHICULAR AIR POLLUTION CONTROL [43000 - 44299.91] ( Part 5 added by Stats. 1975, Ch. 957. )
    CHAPTER 5. Motor Vehicle Inspection Program [44000 - 44126] ( Chapter 5 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

ARTICLE 2. Program Requirements [44010 - 44025] ( Article 2 added by Stats. 1982, Ch. 892, Sec. 2. )

(a) Upon registration with the Department of Motor Vehicles, a passenger vehicle or pickup truck that is a specially constructed vehicle, as defined in Section 580 of the Vehicle Code, shall be inspected by stations authorized to perform referee functions. This inspection shall be for the purposes of determining the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application. The owner shall have the option to choose whether the inspection is based on the engine model-year used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year.

(1) In determining the engine model-year, the referee shall compare the engine to engines of the era that the engine most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to the engine in any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured engine. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established engine model-year and that the engine reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(2) In determining the vehicle model-year, the referee shall compare the vehicle to vehicles of the era that the vehicle most closely resembles. The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle. The referee shall require only those emission control systems that are applicable to the established model-year and that the vehicle reasonably accommodates in its present form.

(b) Upon the completion of the inspection, the referee shall affix a tamper-resistant label to the vehicle and issue a certificate that establishes the engine model-year or the vehicle model-year, and the emission control system application.

(c) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall annually provide a registration to no more than the first 500 vehicles that meet the criteria described in subdivision (a) that are presented to that department for registration pursuant to this section. The 500-vehicle annual limitation does not apply to the renewal of registration of a vehicle registered pursuant to this section.

(Amended by Stats. 2002, Ch. 693, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2003.)
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i have read all the info, but i cannot get away from the yuba city office. The other offices all send me back to officer Nokes!

Post Thanks / Like
    There you go, Ray just did all the legwork for you. What he posted is what makes up SB100.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i have read all the info, but i cannot get away from the yuba city office. The other offices all send me back to officer Nokes!
    Well that is frustrating! Can't you just take your paperwork that you have from the DMV and make an appointment at another CHP office? I don't think anyone has the authority to tell you where you can and can't go do they?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done all the work to, i know how it is set up. But officer NOKES will not verify the Vin #. He is out of line, and i can't go to a different office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have done all the work to, i know how it is set up. But officer NOKES will not verify the Vin #. He is out of line, and i can't go to a different office.
    CHP stations that do this work are assigned by area so if you are walking into local DMV offices around where you live they will all tell you to go to officer Nokes.

Find out where the regional CHP office is outside of your immediate area and walk in there. POLITELY ask to see the officer and bring a print out of Ray's post above FOR BACKUP. Assume he knows the law. Explain the situation regarding emissions requirements at the other CHP office, without disparaging officer Nokes AT ALL. Then ask if you can make an appointment for him to handle the VIN assignment. If he gives you any pushback explain that you understand the law differently and that you brought a copy of the statute for him, IF he'd like to see it.

If that doesn't work, find ANOTHER CHP office.

my .02

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have called Three different CHP offices and they look up your address and send you to your office, even if i got to another office my address is all over the paper work. Maybe go to regional head office??
    The officer wants to know that engine is cal legal not just smog exempt (race engine or street legal) Dam it is just parts!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Were all 3 VIN assignment offices?

A lot of us in So-Cal have gone through officer White at the Santa Ana Office:
    (675) Santa Ana
    2031 E. Santa Clara Ave.
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    (714) 567-6000

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I had no problem with the Torrance, CA CHP office. (I would have to see if I have the officers name in my paperwork.). Here is my process of last year. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-Registration
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Were all 3 VIN assignment offices?

A lot of us in So-Cal have gone through officer White at the Santa Ana Office:
    (675) Santa Ana
    2031 E. Santa Clara Ave.
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    (714) 567-6000

David,

Each CHP office has a "VIN Officer." He may well have several other duties along with VIN's, but each Area has one. There is also a VIN Officer at Division (Valley Division in Sacramento.) Here is a link to all the Office's in Valley Division: https://www.chp.ca.gov/Find-an-Office/Valley-Division.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 08-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Then i was told i had to go to the office that is in my address area. They checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!! I just got my registration today! Mine was a bit different because I bought a car that was originally built in California with SB100 then moved to Arizona. When I brought it back to California, it took over 5 months and more than $3k in fee's to get DMV to clear me. If they understood their own rules it would have taken an hour. Thanks to the BAR/DMV liaison for straightening everything out.

Are you going to Snakes to the Lake next month?

Post Thanks / Like
    Then i was told i had to go to the office that is in my address area. They checked.
    So who is telling you this? When DMV issued my paperwork they told me nothing but to come back with the rest of the forms complete and that is it, no other instruction whatsoever. Here is the direct email address of the officer in Placerville; [email protected] (Officer David Frizzell). Try sending him an email directly simply asking for a VIN inspection appointment. Do not mention any of your problems unless he asks, or asks why you are going out of area. Tell him that another Factory Five builder recommended him because he was familiar with them (FFR kit cars), (I don't care if you use my name or not but he probably will not remember it anyway). Can't hurt to try and it's not that far for you. I drove to Yuba City multiple times for my paint job, about a 90 minute drive, and a pleasant one at that if it is not during rush hour in Sacramento.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got my registration done. Modesto DMV didn’t seem to care about who did my vin inspection, but it may have been because I was the registered owner of the donor vehicle that my engine and transmission came out of. I did have to turn in the title and pay to have the donor junked by the DMV. The BAR inspection was very straightforward. It sure can be frustrating dealing with the DMV when you have a different person staring at your paperwork each time and trying to figure out what they need to do. Each time I delt with the DMV I came away shaking my head wondering if I would have what I needed for the next visit. It was such a relief to walk out with the liscence plates at the end of 7 1/2 weeks. Now I need to get the insurance taken care of before I’m going to start driving the car and before DMV sends a notice of failure to have coverage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Officer nokes talk to officer Garcia and DMV & BAR then went to DMV and got my SB100 number. YES!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Officer nokes talk to officer Garcia and DMV & BAR then went to DMV and got my SB100 number. YES!!
    Great! Happy for you. What a relief!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my certificate of sequence in mail, will go to BAR with TIN not VIN because chp would not do VIN until bar is ok with engine.
    Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever works to get you through the process!
    Something that may or may not make any difference to you. SB100 allows the owner to chose if it is registered as the year of the body or the engine. In my excitement to just get it over with I did not notice what the examiner was using for the year and he did not ask. He used the engine year (1965), I would have prefered the body in case I ever want to change out the engine. I could reapply if I really want it changed but will not bother now. Just a heads up for those if you heading to the BAR referee, state yor preference when you show up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called for an appointment, same story must have VIN. Told lady my story and she took info to referee, they will get back to me??

Post Thanks / Like
    Walked into DMV this morning at 8:30 with all of my inspection paperwork, without an appointment. Walked out 15 minutes later with my plates and registration. Not sure what was going on, but there was no line. Miracles do happen!

After completing the car, I spent an entire day at the DMV (7/31/18). I paid my taxes and registration fees and I had my SB-100 number assignment. I booked the first CHP inspection available (9/18/18). Shocked that it took that long to get an appointment but nothing you can do. I tried to book my BAR Inspection at the same time but they would not allow me to make an appointment until I had the official SB-100 document in hand from Sacramento. DMV copy did not count.

CHP inspection took all of 20 minutes. Half of that was talking to the CHP Captain who wanted to impound my car for a couple of months. Great guy, just loved Cobras.

I drove to a brake and light inspector on the way home from CHP. They charge $90 if you pass. $30 more if you fail and have to come back.

I got a cup of coffee and when I came back he said I failed because I needed reflectors on the sides, needed to have my back-up light permanently mounted (I had mine zip tied to my over rider) and I needed to know what the nominal thickness of my brake rotors was for his form.

I had the Wilwood documents with me but the thickness was not indicated. I said just measure since they only has 50 miles on them. Nope. I called Wilwood and one of their engineers talked to him and he was satisfied. I drove home and made a bracket for the back up light and drove to O' Riley and picked up some reflectors. I stuck these on my fresh paint as lightly as possible with double sided tape and pulled them off as soon and he had his photographs for the file. I was back within an hour, so he didn't charge me the extra $30.

My SB-100 doc arrived from Sacramento a few days later and scheduled the first available BAR inspection - 10/18/18. They just love to make you wait.

I dove into the BAR inspector and opened the hood. He confirmed that I had a closed loop PCV system and went to the back room. 30 minutes later he came out with my sticker.

I thought today would be an ordeal but as mentioned earlier, I hit the DMV lottery and was done in a flash. Whew!

The process was easy but you can't be in a big hurry, especially in Los Angeles.

-Steve
    Last edited by Straversi; 10-25-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading these dmv stories and going through the process this week I now realize DMV doesn't have a set process for the sb100. I went to DMV on Monday and was told I need a brake and light inspection before anything can happen. Of course they took my money, lots of it, before sending me on my way with a 1 day temporary operating permit. The brake and light inspection was done yesterday and took about 5 minutes and cost $187.50, ouch. So back to DMV and a 30 day temporary permit in hand and they are not sure about my sb100 number. So I am trying to set up a vin check with the chp and continue moving forward and hope this process works as I don't think DMV has a clue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve you are a winner, it can work that way if the stars line up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12