Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Registration Success! (so far)

Post Thanks / Like

California Registration Success! (so far)

The car will be out of the paint shop on July 9th so I went to the California DMV today, June 18, 2018, to get the registration process started. To my great delight, it went better than expected! #9160 will be on the road in the not too distant future!

Had all the paperwork in hand and filled out as far as possible;

FFR Body and Chassis receipt
    BluePrint engine and transmission receipt
    FFR certificate of origin (not actually needed for this part)
    California insurance card
    REG 343 form
    REG 5036 form

Paid lot’s of money to the fine (*******) politicians of the peoples republic of kalifornia.

But get this! I received an SB 100 number! What a score, I was sweating that one!
    Plus, a 60 day operating permit, I can legally drive it on the road!
    Plus all necessary paperwork to schedule appointments for CHP, BAR, and CARB inspections!

I am posting this because I have not seen a recent update on the registration process in California. I was sweating this part partly because of some of the stories I’ve heard and partly because there is no recent info posted. I’ll try and keep this thread updated as I progress in hopes of helping those who are coming after me.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

2. Thanks wineguy thanked for this post
    Likes SLOKarl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great I’m sure you can’t wait to get the car back from paint and go cruising

The registration process in CA sounds like a pain here in WV it was a 30 minute process complete a couple of forms and give them your money

Congratulations

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest that you contact your local CHP and find out which office does the inspection. Not all do. Then call them and check what the lead time is for your appointment. I had to wait 5 weeks for mine. Slowed the whole process down. Also I could not make a appointment with the smog check referee until I had the CHP certificate. The inspections were easy but I didn’t know to plan my appointments way ahead. Good luck and congratulations on your SB100. BTW what SB number did you get?
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    SB was only 122, in June! Plenty left this year.

Already have a CHP appointment here in Placerville, officer has done FFR Roadsters previously and has a good reputation.

CARB says they are about two weeks out for appointments.

Glad to hear you say the rest are easy, hope it plays out that way.

Thanks Rick, can't wait to join the rest of you out there!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Brien, thats great news considering some of the DMV horror stories we heard in the past. You gotta take a shake down road trip down to my house and show off your car.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vspeeds View Post
    Brien, thats great news considering some of the DMV horror stories we heard in the past. You gotta take a shake down road trip down to my house and show off your car.
    You'll be one of the first destinations! I'll need a lot of "excuses" to take the car out, "helping" you will be a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brien, congrats on getting your SB number, the DMV Oceanside opened a file and took
    some registration money, but would not give me the SB number until I had a completed REG124
    from the CHP. I got that done today and they told me I was the only one they have done in
    June and they would not do any more until Sept.

This is the 3rd FFR car I have built and the whole procedure is different than the previous
    two times I did the SB100 process.

Seems all the DMV offices are a little different .......

Post Thanks / Like
    SUBSCRIBED! I'll be doing this early (I hope) next year! AWESOME OT HEAR!!! I got my trike legal pretty easily, so it can't be too much harder. Let us know how you made it through each step so we can take similar stances and vernacular. Congrats! so far!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I think you're right. it seems like each office does it their own way and Sacramento seems to go along with this. Just got word the paint shop is two weeks behind. This may screw up my whole schedule, the CHP inspector is booked about 5 weeks out! Oh well, like I have been telling myself throughout the whole build, it will be great whenever it gets on the road. And there is that 60 day permit...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Please continue to post updates as you progress through the registration process I'm nowhere near the registration process, but would appreciate any tips in getting the car on the road. I'm a couple weeks away from installing the engine/transmission.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    Please continue to post updates as you progress through the registration process I'm nowhere near the registration process, but would appreciate any tips in getting the car on the road. I'm a couple weeks away from installing the engine/transmission.
    Will do.
    With the delay I mentioned the car will be back in my shop on Monday night the 23rd of July. The CHP VIN inspection is scheduled for the next morning, leaving me no time to reinstall the seats and lights, not to mention the mirrors and remaining aluminum. I emailed the inspecting officer and he replied “no worries”. I am assuming that means he is good with it like that. I’ll try my best to get what I can together before the inspection anyway and let you guys know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Working on my California registration also

I am in the same boat as you. Went to DMV for the second time on Monday. No CHP inspection, they will accept the FFR Serial # and verify this at DMV office. Waiting on seq # from Sacramento then make Bar appt.

14. Likes SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcshannon5448 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you. Went to DMV for the second time on Monday. No CHP inspection, they will accept the FFR Serial # and verify this at DMV office. Waiting on seq # from Sacramento then make Bar appt.
    Can I ask which DMV office you went to? I was told the CHP would issue a "VIN plate" that must be installed on the vehicle where they designate. Will you get this from the DMV office? My DMV office received the sequence number over the phone from Sacramento. As Jim said, they are all really different in their methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the DMV in Modesto. The information I received was also after a very long call to Sacramento. The last info I got was that I will not get a separate VIN sticker, but they will use the FFR serial # plate and FFR number on the frame. Now this could all change when I go for my next visit. My seq # is 121. My car is running and driving on a 30 day operating permit. I am in Groveland, just a few hours south of you.
    Last edited by bcshannon5448; 06-26-2018 at 10:16 AM.

17. Likes Sigurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Can I ask which DMV office you went to? I was told the CHP would issue a "VIN plate" that must be installed on the vehicle where they designate. Will you get this from the DMV office? My DMV office received the sequence number over the phone from Sacramento. As Jim said, they are all really different in their methods.
    CHP office I went to just verified the FFR serial number on the frame and the number on the FFR plate I installed in the engine compartment. My registration and pink just has the FFR serial number as the VIN.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    slpro, that's what I expect to happen here in the end.

bcshannon, cool, you just beat me out, I am #122. Keep us posted here how the next appointment goes, I'll do the same. My CHP appointment is the 23rd (of July).

20. Likes lewma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, despite the return from paint being two weeks late, things are moving along well. Got the car back yesterday evening. Got a seat back in it so I could drive it but did not have time to install lights, mirrors, under body metal, etc. CHP was fine with that, he said he just wanted to see chassis number, engine number, paperwork and receipts. After about 30 minutes inspecting the engine and chassis, and 30 minutes more doing paperwork, received a blessing using the FFR serial number stamped on the frame as the VIN number. Gave me a few options on where to place the VIN number tag supplied by FFR after I have it engraved with the number. He did say the pipes were to loud when I drove it out of the trailer but didn't mention it again. I'll update again after the brake and lamp inspection and the CARB ref inspection, both this Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still waiting for my DMV letter so that I can make my BAR appt. Called DMV and after a long time on hold was told it should be in the mail soon. I have all ready done the Brake and Light inspections. I am very interested to hear about your BAR inspection. That is my next hurdle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I too am still waiting for my DMV letter to be able to make a BAR appt. (almost 3 weeks now) Called
    Sacramento DMV and they were no help and said to keep waiting as they were very busy and behind
    schedule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow, this is great news too me. I am in Yucaipa, CA and Kalifornia registration was one of my biggest fears to order kit or not. Saw Dave Smith at Huntington Beach event, he was very nice too me, and told him this event would get me off the fence,, YES or no. He said.... Yes, He was Right. Ordered 33' Rod Rod in early July, said to be ready mid Aug. Then shipping. Sent a couple emails to Stewart about cost,,, no response. Not a huge issue yet but will ditch emails and go to the old phone call method. I read this forum everyday to fill my little brain with as much cool stuff as I can. I know I will need it when I start. Let the Games Begin.

Post Thanks / Like
    My gosh, what a process you prisoners of the People Republic of California have to go through just to register a car! The whole process for me took less than two hours! It would have taken less, but I did it in two trips to the DMV, only about five miles away! Good luck. I sure hope you get it done soon.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I am total getting the runaround from DMV. I was able to get a hold of a live person to talk to, she took my information and said if I did not get my papers in the mail by the end of the week to call again. Then I get a call and another person tells me they will overnight it right away. Next day and no overnight in the mail. I just don't get why they can't do what they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received special delivery of SPCNS. Called for BAR appt. and they informed me I had to have CHP VIN verification prior to BAR inspection and DMV office couldn't do verification. I told them that DMV office told me they could do it. They did make the BAR appt. Just to be sure I made CHP appt for verification. Now I have CHP on 7/30/18, Bar on 8/6/18 and DMV on 8/10/18. Good thing I am retired or I don't know how I would be able to make all of this happen. Hopefully all of this will work out and I can get my registration finally.

Post Thanks / Like
    CHP on 7-31 then BAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to Beta Smog and Tune in Sacramento this morning for brake and light. Very quick and easy, I would highly recommend them for your inspection. Went to the referee this afternoon, didn't go so good. Since I applied in early June I had totally forgotten about my SB100 certificate. I had not received it but had it in my mind that I had. Referee did his inspection and said it passed (looked at the PCV valve and oil fill cap breather tube plus VIN number) but would not give me paperwork without the missing certificate. Called SB100 phone number, they said the certificate was mailed "three weeks ago". Guess what was in the mail box when I got home? It's funny how these things work. Anyway, I'll contact the referee again and see what he wants to do now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What is the SB100 phone number ? ,Maybe I can get some help calling them.........

Post Thanks / Like
    The number I called was 916-617-7690 but I could only leave a message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haar View Post
    What is the SB100 phone number ? ,Maybe I can get some help calling them.........
    Direct line to the SB100 person, 916-657-8525.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, Iv'e called and left messages at both numbers !! We'll see what happens.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Certificate came in mail today and BAR appt. is Aug 7......

Post Thanks / Like
    33 - but went to CHP and was told to go to BAR and then come back to CHP.
    Haft to get alternator charging first, ford control pack, new regulator, must be in wiring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haar View Post
    Certificate came in mail today and BAR appt. is Aug 7......
    Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my SB100 number at the DMV today. Callling for my inspection appointments tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if I get the same instructions as you all.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    On Tuesday I had my appointment with CHP to verify the VIN. It was the easiest part of this process so far. The officer looked at the FFR serial number on the frame and agreed when I told him the DMV had suggested that as the VIN number. He completed the paperwork quickly and gave it back, the only other question was the current number of miles on the car. Next is the BAR on Monday Morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went back to BAR referee this morning, with the certificate in hand this time, fortunately same guy as last time. Did not even do another inspection, just updated the mileage (have over 300 miles on it now!), did another 15 minutes worth of paperwork, had me place the sticker on the car pretty much wherever I wanted, and now it's officially a 1965 model as far as the smog man is concerned.

Then returned to DMV (no appointment, 4 hour wait!) and got the plates! I am officially DONE with CA DMV and registration! I'll post pictures when the plates are on to finish up with this thread. Hope this has helped those in the process or planning it.

Summary;

1. Go to DMV with application for title or registration (form 343), Statement of construction (form 5036), Certificate of origin (from FFR), receipts for kit, engine and transmission, and lots of cash for the man. Receive a temporary operating slip, receipt, and a list of things to get (below).
    2. Go to CHP (appointment) for VIN number assignment, they will provide the application for assigned vehicle identification number plate (form 124). Go to any shop designated as a California brake and lamp inspection station (usually a smog station), get these inspections done and receive compliance slips from the shop. Hint, I found there is a LARGE variance in prices charged and what they were going to require to pass the tests. Some of the shops had a ridiculously large list to comply with, such as adding reflectors all over the car and allowing THEM to drive the car! I think not. Ask questions and shop around.
    3. After you have received your certified copy of the SB100 form in the mail, go to a California ARB referee station (appointment, locations found on line), get sticker and receipt from them.
    4. Return to DMV with all the paperwork you have collected and receive your plates.

This took me about 7 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a specific form the brake and light inspectors need to fill out?
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Is there a specific form the brake and light inspectors need to fill out?
    -Steve
    Yes, but they are just little slips of paper, looks like a receipt from a 10 cent store, one for each (brakes and lights). I thought sure they could not be official forms, but the lady at DMV liked them and that's all that counts.

42. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome. It sounds like the process was fairly straight forward. Congratulations!
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Went back to BAR referee this morning, with the certificate in hand this time, fortunately same guy as last time. Did not even do another inspection, just updated the mileage (have over 300 miles on it now!), did another 15 minutes worth of paperwork, had me place the sticker on the car pretty much wherever I wanted, and now it's officially a 1965 model as far as the smog man is concerned.

Then returned to DMV (no appointment, 4 hour wait!) and got the plates! I am officially DONE with CA DMV and registration! I'll post pictures when the plates are on to finish up with this thread. Hope this has helped those in the process or planning it.

Summary;

1. Go to DMV with application for title or registration (form 343), Statement of construction (form 5036), Certificate of origin (from FFR), receipts for kit, engine and transmission, and lots of cash for the man. Receive a temporary operating slip, receipt, and a list of things to get (below).
    2. Go to CHP (appointment) for VIN number assignment, they will provide the application for assigned vehicle identification number plate (form 124). Go to any shop designated as a California brake and lamp inspection station (usually a smog station), get these inspections done and receive compliance slips from the shop. Hint, I found there is a LARGE variance in prices charged and what they were going to require to pass the tests. Some of the shops had a ridiculously large list to comply with, such as adding reflectors all over the car and allowing THEM to drive the car! I think not. Ask questions and shop around.
    3. After you have received your certified copy of the SB100 form in the mail, go to a California ARB referee station (appointment, locations found on line), get sticker and receipt from them.
    4. Return to DMV with all the paperwork you have collected and receive your plates.

This took me about 7 weeks.
    Congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    How did you get around CHP wanting to have engine Cal. smog compliant?? Ford A50-ex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast