Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Pin Drive knock off wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Pin Drive knock off wheels?

Looking to go pin drive for my wheels. Rumor has it that some states are outlawing the pin drive/knock off design. I'm in Mass. and was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about this.
    Thanks,
    RC

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't help you with the legal side. But just in case you don't know, choosing to go pin drive affects more than just the wheels themselves. Because of the required adapters, the suspension width is different. For the front, requires pin drive specific suspension parts and assembly. For the rear, if you're looking at the newer style IRS, it's not even an option. Factory Five doesn't offer the current IRS in a pin drive width. Solid axle is still an option.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Can't help you with the legal side. But just in case you don't know, choosing to go pin drive affects more than just the wheels themselves. Because of the required adapters, the suspension width is different. For the front, requires pin drive specific suspension parts and assembly. For the rear, if you're looking at the newer style IRS, it's not even an option. Factory Five doesn't offer the current IRS in a pin drive width. Solid axle is still an option.
    Just to add to Paul's statement, you CAN order a MKIV with the older style IRS.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be using a shortened solid axle rear end.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

If you were going to order a new car (not to be raced-street cruising only), would you get a solid axle, or the older style IRS? Any opinions on how hard it would be to source a old Tbird diff, etc?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post

Did not know that! Given the improvements provided by the newer IRS, plus the parts availability, not sure there's a good reason to though. Unless you're dead set on pin drive.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

7. Thanks Bigred67 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Did not know that! Given the improvements provided by the newer IRS, plus the parts availability, not sure there's a good reason to though. Unless you're dead set on pin drive.
    I talked to "my guy" at FFR and I'm told it's a special order item, but doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyr View Post
    David,

If you were going to order a new car (not to be raced-street cruising only), would you get a solid axle, or the older style IRS? Any opinions on how hard it would be to source a old Tbird diff, etc?

Ken
    Hi Ken,

PERSONALLY, I'd go with the older style T-Bird diff all day long if my goal is pin-drive width and 15" rims. I run that on my MKIII with absolutely no regrets.

I looked on ebay and it seems they are getting harder to source, but you only need one and I'd have it built with new gears and a Torsen LS anyway.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    "Any opinions on how hard it would be to source a old Tbird diff, etc?"

In addition to David's comments, you should be able to find one with enough calls to a junkyard. Just be careful as some of the Thunderbirds came with a smaller (7.5"?) differential. And for what it's worth, I recently saw an aluminum-case differential of the right type for sale in the "For Sale - Parts" section for a very reasonable price, with a rebuilt factory limited slip. I also have an iron case unit for sale there, for not much more than my parts costs, rebuilt with a new Detroit true-trak limited slip, and there are two "open" aluminum units in my shop that I could also live without. Good luck!

10. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response David. Since 15"s and pin drive wheels are about the only thing that I have decided on, I guess I have some thinking to do. I'm going to stop by the Factory 5 booth at Barrett Jackson tomorrow & talk to the guys....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyr View Post
    Thanks for your response David. Since 15"s and pin drive wheels are about the only thing that I have decided on, I guess I have some thinking to do. I'm going to stop by the Factory 5 booth at Barrett Jackson tomorrow & talk to the guys....
    Tell my son Grant I said hello!

13. Likes Kennyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    oh, and yes, I DO love that pin drive 15" look!:

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 06-22-2018 at 05:41 PM.

15. Likes ChopperJustin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a black plate too-very cool...

17. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to be late for this.

Really? You can get the old-style IRS which can be pin-drive? When did this begin?

I was told the old style, T-Bird, IRS was not an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will call and double-check tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I will call and double-check tomorrow.
    I made a call to FFR and got updated information from Dan:

There was some overlap while FFR still had half-shafts but the decision has been made to NOT produce any more chassis with the Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe IRS option. Upper and lower control arms are still available as a service item but the cage is discontinued.

FFR is also getting scattered reports of folks in certain instances being told that pin drive wheels are no longer acceptable. They do not have a list of where this push-back is happening from, but they told me that in a few instances folks are moving from pin drive to bolt-on wheels.

Well, shoot.
    Last edited by David Hodgkins; 11-30-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling

21. Thanks ChopperJustin thanked for this post
    Likes ChopperJustin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On the flip side - at least in my mind - my pin-drive IRS MKIII just went up in value...

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a call to FFR and got updated information from Dan:

There was some overlap while FFR still had half-shafts but the decision has been made to NOT produce any more chassis with the Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe IRS option. Upper and lower control arms are still available as a service item but the cage is discontinued.

FFR is also getting scattered reports of folks in certain instances being told that in drive wheels are no longer acceptable. They do not have a list of where this push-back is happening from, but they told me that in a few instances folks are moving from pin drive to bolt-on wheels.

Well, shoot.
    Too bad.

They are missing a market.

The Pin-drive/IRS combo is the #1 reason FFR does not have my cheese. And I'll bet I am not the only one.

Too bad an enterprising engineer doesn't offer a kit for the FFR chassis for that set-up. I'd pay decent $$$ for it.

There is so much I really like about FFR. It's so disappointing there is no pin-drive/IRS option. Every other Cobra replica manufacturer has one.
    Last edited by CobraboyDR; 11-30-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you could use parts from other cobra / replica to fit FFR?