E brake handle installed
    IMG_4545.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    tranny fill, Oil fill, coolant and rear end

IMG_4581.jpgIMG_4611.JPGIMG_4612.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring start
    IMG_4590.jpgIMG_4591.JPG

For the 302 block the oil pressure sending unit needs an extension so it clears filter

IMG_4597.jpgIMG_4585.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Learning to shift
    IMG_4602.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Missed the exhaust install

IMG_4309.JPGIMG_4342.jpgIMG_4352.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok ready to roll

I have posted most of my steps for the last couple of months and probably missed some. Just happy to be making the progress I have and need to add that i am totaly enjoying this adventure.
    So go carting time has come, i hit a lot of hurdles on this day but did end up getting them resolved.
    started with electric fuel pump, i have never worked with one and assumed it should get to pressure and then shut of but the one I have for a carburetor engine does not shut off, apparently Ok but I will put a regulator with shut off down the road, any comments or ideas welcome.
    Next was my incorrect wiring of the starter, I have changed a few in the past but always just removed and wired up as I took off. So from wiring diagram i assume i needed to ground this and was wrong, a bit of research cleared this up.
    I had taken the distributor out to hook up coolant line fitting and now had this in wrong and had to redo, did have this figured but took time for a greenhorn like me.

All stressed i did get it fired up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a few small runs down the street.

Ended up setting timing and adjusting electric choke and idle screw.

Have an exhaust leak but left on vacation so can deal with that once back but should not be a big deal

8. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My son went down the road and actually came back

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin and soundin great Bob!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgardner View Post
    My son went down the road and actually came back
    Looks like your youtube account was disabled, may want to check it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure whats up, I can see video from this site

Is there any way to post video without youtube

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever was wrong it seems to have corrected itself, I see the videos again....

15. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looking good

Post Thanks / Like
    Body work started

set body in place and measured every way possible. ended up with different size spacers in wheel well to frame area, without this body was hitting door mount.

started with the trunk, curve of body and trunk don't match up so like others I put in some bracing. Pic showing original fit

IMG_5008.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Body work started

set body in place and measured every way possible. ended up with different size spacers in wheel well to frame area, without this body was hitting door mount.

started with the trunk, curve of body and trunk don't match up so like others I put in some bracing. Pic showing original fit

IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5129.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I made a template and then cut plywood to fit shape
    IMG_5131.jpg

I used plywood for stability and then made hardwood inserts where I will be bolting plywood to body
    IMG_5132.jpg

I used rivnuts to bolt plywood to frame
    IMG_5134.jpgIMG_5135.jpgIMG_5136.jpg

You can see the gap in pic below, I pulled the trunk into shape with ratchet straps
    IMG_5137.jpgIMG_5141.jpg

used a caulking adhesive and bolted plywood to trunk
    IMG_5267.jpg

happy with final fit and shape, trunk also lifts up a lot nicer with a more stable feel.
    IMG_5149.jpg

20. Likes FF33rod, JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next up I will fiberglass these pieces

IMG_5269.jpg

22. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    No pics
    ??? Can't see Bob's pics? I do...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    All good

Post Thanks / Like
    So I did fiberglass and onto mounting trunk, unmounted sits perfect where I want it. very tough to line up with hinges and latch.

Ran into trouble with drivers side hinge arm hitting gas tank, I have the FFR stock tank. NO room to move arm location (set mounting points welded) and tank only has 1 place to sit. I grinded the arm and I feel it will have sufficient strength, I will go back later and do the other side to match. For sure need a break from removing trunk lid again. Other unknown problem when trying to get to fit was when coming down trunk lid was hitting flange for weather striping, just grinded some away and was all good will do the entire opening for an even spacing.

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

For the latch I needed to get FFR to send me a longer pin (same size as used for front hood). according to parts list and packaging the short one I received is for the trunk and the hood has a longer one so I used it and things worked. Latch is tough to line up and couldn't find anyone small enough to climb in to see what was happening when closing trunk LOL. not sure what others have done but after the fact was thinking maybe setting a live camera up to see would have worked better than the multiple open/close test

IMG_5504.jpg

27. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I did fiberglass and onto mounting trunk, unmounted sits perfect where I want it. very tough to line up with hinges and latch.

Ran into trouble with drivers side hinge arm hitting gas tank, I have the FFR stock tank. NO room to move arm location (set mounting points welded) and tank only has 1 place to sit. I grinded the arm and I feel it will have sufficient strength, I will go back later and do the other side to match. For sure need a break from removing trunk lid again. Other unknown problem when trying to get to fit was when coming down trunk lid was hitting flange for weather striping, just grinded some away and was all good will do the entire opening for an even spacing.

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5500.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

For the latch I needed to get FFR to send me a longer pin (same size as used for front hood). according to parts list and packaging the short one I received is for the trunk and the hood has a longer one so I used it and things worked. Latch is tough to line up and couldn't find anyone small enough to climb in to see what was happening when closing trunk LOL. not sure what others have done but after the fact was thinking maybe setting a live camera up to see would have worked better than the multiple open/close test

IMG_5504.jpg
    Don't put the trunk floor in until you finish the trunk lid and latch.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice

I think it was the back panel that I struggled to get inside the trunk with body on so I put all the aluminum in with body off. Thinking the access holes would work but struggled with access through them.

Post Thanks / Like
    My grandson checking out how his ride is coming along. Told his mother he can take the 33 when he goes and gets his licence.
    Attachment 101224
    What's on the garage wall? Are those 1x4s grooved with some type of hook system? What is that, please? And yea, sweet ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Slatwall

It comes in 4 * 8 sheets and and just screws to the wall, lots of different hooks available.

There are different brands around, in my trade we did use this product for retail stores to display their products.

Here is a link to a supplier in Canada, some lumber yards cab also get this product.

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Post Thanks / Like
    installed windshield with some support to keep body shape and then later fit hardtop to body

I notched a piece of L-shape aluminum and bent it to fit shape of underside of windshield, epoxied this in place under the windshield using the windshield studs. Then i epoxied a piece of flat stock to the L-shape to hold the piece to fit the curve. Now when I remove the windshield the body remains in the same shape without flexing.
    IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg
    Last edited by Bgardner; 01-06-2020 at 07:16 PM.

33. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doors done, faced similar problems as everyone else. Will be interesting when doing the power windows.

Fit hood and engine side panels, For this I kept the grill as far forward as brackets would allow to start and was OK to keep it there.
    I did shave off all fiberglass as close as I could to the half round reveal on the engine side panels and was lucky enough not to need to cut these like others have.

Trouble with the striker pin clearing the rad aluminum so needed to file some and make things fit.
    IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    Last edited by Bgardner; 01-06-2020 at 07:18 PM.

35. Likes FF33rod, shmelty, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why some of my pics are showing and some are showing as attachments.

Will try and work on it in next day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why some of my pics are showing and some are showing as attachments.

Will try and work on it in next day or so.
    Got it figured

Post Thanks / Like
    To fasten the engine side covers to the body I glued and fiber glassed some blocks inside and then bolted these to the firewall. now I will not need to have an exposed fastner when hood open.
    IMG_5801.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5456.jpgIMG_5457.jpg

39. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I made the engine side covers removable, so i cut panel and fiber glassed blocks on each piece to bolt together when covers in place.
    IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

To keep the front part of the engine side cover in place I fit some notched aluminum blocks to slide onto lip of front grill, Once i slide it in place it gets mounted to the nose cone and also held in place with headlights. As per side engine panel to firewall I will also not have any exposed fasteners here.

IMG_5758.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5761.jpg

41. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pics of the engine side covers on and off
    IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5548.jpg

IMG_5532.jpg

Pic of possible vent to go on engine side covers, I have done short little runs up the street and find there is a lot of heat building up in engine compartment real quick. any feedback regarding must have ventilation or not.

IMG_5514.jpg

43. Likes FF33rod, AJT '33, Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like your rear fender cuts!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, not sure how many rocks/pebbles will be thrown but happy with the look of the shape.

it was fun to copy shape to other side, when done I found out everything is not perfectly balanced but without taking measurements no one will know

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

46. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As per previous pics I do have my hardtop on and bolted in place. I will be having a body shop do all my final fit and finish, for the hardtop I will get them to set the curve to fit the body. some of you guys have done a great job with this on your builds.

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5382.jpg

I did cut back the window openings, scribed and trimmed. was surprised and happy to see this little clean up made the car look even better.

IMG_5413.jpg

With the hard top I did spin 1 of the rivnuts, very frustrating getting bolt removed. Got lucky but potential problems could cause a lot of damage. Figured out using a clamp to compress the rivnut tool works well and gives a good feel of control.

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

48. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made a walnut wood dash for gauges. started with a flat 5/16 thick piece of walnut and cut it shape of dash with 1/2 inch inset. scribed dash to get shape for form to shape walnut too. the dash curves in and out along with different shape on top and bottom.

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

Made a steamer that would allow dash to fit then steamed walnut and clamped in form

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5482.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

IMG_5571.jpg

50. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made some aluminum fasteners to mount dash. works well with no bolting from back and stays tight, easy to remove and replace.

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

I mounted the dash out from fiberglass 1/4 inch and put LED lights on the back to reflect off the fiberglass dash (will be painted same colour as body). needed to source a LED strip light that was able to go around the curved shape.

IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5888.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

52. Likes JOP33, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Bob, looks fantastic!! You're making full use of your wood working skills.

I gave up using that lame tool for the rivnuts and bought an Astro Pneumatic 1450 - makes the job so much easier...
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

54. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Likes HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the backlighting!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

56. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast