Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Cruella de Vil #346 Build Finish Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Cruella de Vil #346 Build Finish Thread

This past weekend I picked up a fairly complete car but will be very much like a new build due to its condition. This car was started in 2011 as a Stage 1 Kit by Paul Pisani of Harrison, NY. Paul added a Ebay sourced rebuilt 347 stroker, rebuilt T5 and 8.8 rear. It was sold in 2012 to Don Harris of Boerne, TX who ordered the Stage 2 kit and got it to a running driving car. My understanding is at that point Don decided he wanted to turn it into a show car and turned it over to Texas Hot Rods in San Antonio, TX for customization. Not sure completely what Don's vision was as unfortunately he passed away 2 years ago.

The car is currently a non running roller as the wiring harness was completely removed from the car along with the brake lines, pedals, glass, seats. Its a well optioned car with A/C, Electric PS, Electric PB, Bauer Big Brakes. What I do know is that Don intended the car to be a full time coupe as he deleted the Roadster windshield from the Stage 2 Kit and the hard top is currently screwed onto the body. I do know that some of the custom work completed by Texas Hot Rods for Don included cutting the window frames from the hard top and attaching them to the doors, cutting the hood for the bug scoop and adding matching insets to the hood and engine side panels that matched the bug scoop. They also added an electric actuator to open and close the hood and crafted the fenders from steel. I'm sure there are many other custom features I will find over time as this is the first 33 Kit I have seen in person.

Now for the name Cruella de Vil, my wife names all our cars so that is all I can say about that. Attached are some photos including my wife doing her best Cruella impression. Also here is a photo of Don when he first got the car to go kart. Fortunately for me at some point he got rid of the pastel wagon wheels I did get the air cleaner but that accidentally fell into the trash.

213179971_4122200981205096_6275701538720168035_n.jpg
    208260830_4122200881205106_4192651051968058574_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by svassh; 07-05-2022 at 12:48 PM.
    MK2 Roadster - 347 - Boss 302 Crate 4x2 Weber 44 IDFs

2. Likes j33ptj, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pickup of the car had a little excitement, made the trip with a Uhaul Auto Transport from Dallas to San Antonio in a record 4.5 hours. Loaded up pretty easily with the help from Don's family and got turned around in an hour. Unfortunately 1.5 hours into the return trip the trailer blew a tire. This resulted in a 4 hour wait for UHaul Roadside Assistance to get to me but fortunately no damage to anything but the tire.

Spent the first day doing inventory and cleaning up all the boxed parts. Looks like a few years in the body shop uncovered as everything had a thick coating of dust on it. Good news is mostly complete just missing seats which son in law accidentally threw out and rollbar. Next on the list is cleanup of the car itself top to bottom as it suffers from the same thick coating of dust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by svassh; 07-05-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, congrats on the 33.

Judging by how bald the rear tires are on the 33, it looks like someone had some fun with it at one point unless they are race slicks or possibly donors off another car.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d love to see more photos of the door frame and roof modifications. That’s a fantastic job. Someone did some nice work on the fenders also.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    I’d love to see more photos of the door frame and roof modifications. That’s a fantastic job. Someone did some nice work on the fenders also.
    -Steve
    Sure I'll get some closer photos it is very well done. Also forgot to mention the fenders are steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and Welcome!! love the hood detail blending in with the scoop...

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

8. Thanks svassh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes 33fromSD, sread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those doors are impressive. That is a lot of work. At least a lot of the bodywork looks to be in pretty good shape. Enjoy!
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    First order of business was a complete cleaning and assessment top to bottom. 6 dirty water buckets later it's clean and ready to begin. Installed the clutch and brake pedal again last nite. Not an easy task with the body on. Still have the old offset clutch quadrant. Bought the new style from a member and will convert to the top of clutch pedal style at some point. Plan is to install enough of the mechanical and wiring including new brake lines to get it neighborhood running and driving again to assess the mechanicals.

20220711_185752.jpg
    Last edited by svassh; 07-12-2022 at 08:21 AM.

13. Likes 33fromSD, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing too exciting but making progress slowly towards my goal of running driving in the neighborhood by end of summer.

1. Got the clutch and brake pedals mounted, clutch cable adjusted
    2. Shifter handle installed
    3. Engine filled with oil and remote oil filter installed with new hoses
    4. Rear end was bone dry, first attempt at adding gear oil showed why it was bone dry. Replaced gasket, gear oil and friction modifier. No more leaks
    5. Gas pedal and throttle cable installed and working good
    6. Traced all the fuel lines and reattached the fuel line to EFI unit
    7. Tightened all the radiator hoses, I think I have found all the hoses to the firewall for heater and A/C lines

The brake lines are all steel braided so debating on whether to replace those with steel lines or go with them temporarily. Same with the fuel lines all rubber hoses will probably go with those temporarily but replace with steel lines also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't posted for a while but have been working on the car a couple hours here and there when I can. Big milestone today.

1. Got fuse box and wiring harness back into the car, only wiring motor and gauges at this time
    2. My no more leaks comment on the rear diff was premature the rear cover no longer leaked but the pinion seal did. Replaced it and waiting on a new pinion flange to reassemble.
    3. Pulled distributor and ran the drill on the oil pump to verify oil pressure. Removed valve cover to verify the rockers were getting oil.
    4. Rigged up a battery and have enough wiring in place to do diagnostics on the MSD Atomic EFI and crank the motor over.
    5. No fuel and I assume the tank is dry. Did not hear the fuel pump running so need to check that out next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by svassh View Post
    The brake lines are all steel braided so debating on whether to replace those with steel lines or go with them temporarily. Same with the fuel lines all rubber hoses will probably go with those temporarily but replace with steel lines also.
    I was considering using braided steel brake lines. Do you have a reason for not wanting to use them?
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I was considering using braided steel brake lines. Do you have a reason for not wanting to use them?
    Hey Mike

They would probably be fine but I am missing some lines in the rear of the car and I already have the tools needed to bend and form steel lines. So if nothing else I'm already comfortable with the steel lines and its likely cheaper for me personally given I have the tools needed.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Some progress this weekend.
    1. New fuel pump installed. It officially runs but have not run it for more than 30 seconds till I get the radiator plumbed.
    2. Need to take the AC Compressor off to remove the fancy AN fittings for the heater and plug them for now.
    3. Remote oil filter leaking so I had to remove the electric power steering to get the adapter off the block. Had to cut off the fittings as I didn't have enough room to spin the adapter off and couldn't get a wrench on one of them.
    4. Ordered a new set of tires for the front wheels. Both existing ones look brand new but are 10 years old and leaking around the seal probably from sitting flat for several years.

Next up:
    1. Exhaust clamps for the tailpipes
    2. Reassemble the remote filter adapter and try it with new hose clamps.
    3. Reinstall the electric power steering
    4. Get the cooling system completed
    5. Reinstall drive shaft
    6. Get the brakes plumbed and bled
    7. Either run manual cables for parking brake or install the electric unit
    8. Drive it off the lift!
    Last edited by svassh; 08-29-2022 at 12:09 PM.

19. Likes FF33rod, 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got the new front tires mounted so no need for airing them up every 3 days. And I got numbers 1-4 in the Next Up accomplished this weekend although #4 turned out to be a pain. The PO had AN fittings and Hoses installed on all coolant lines. However the shop that installed them either neglected or forgot one, the lower water pump. Had to take most of the serpentine belt system apart to get to it. Anyway my 30 minutes of install thermostat and fill with coolant turned into a 4 hour adventure. Still have an oil leak from the front seal so not looking forward to fixing that.

20220905_103028.jpg20220905_114547.jpg
    Last edited by svassh; 09-05-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the new front tires mounted so no need for airing them up every 3 days. And I got numbers 1-4 in the Next Up accomplished this weekend although #4 turned out to be a pain. The PO had AN fittings and Hoses installed on all coolant lines. However the shop that installed them either neglected or forgot one, the lower water pump. Had to take most of the serpentine belt system apart to get to it. Anyway my 30 minutes of install thermostat and fill with coolant turned into a 4 hour adventure. Still have an oil leak from the front seal so not looking forward to fixing that.

20220905_103028.jpg20220905_114547.jpg
    What is the liner actuator controlling?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    What is the liner actuator controlling?

Jim
    Hey Jim, that lifts and lowers the hood. I took it off finally was tired of hitting my head on it while working on the motor and wiring.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim, that lifts and lowers the hood. I took it off finally was tired of hitting my head on it while working on the motor and wiring.

Scott
    Very cool, can't wait to see that when the car is done.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of the custom hood hinge and actuator.

20220906_194527.jpg20220906_194536.jpg

25. Likes 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of the custom hood hinge and actuator.

20220906_194527.jpg20220906_194536.jpg
    That is very cool. There was a little time/money spent on that. Once you have this thing all reassembled you'll have to take a video of the hood actually going up and down.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    3 months from the day I towed it home and winched it onto the lift its a runner. Lots to do still but running and driving makes everything else so much easier IMO. Not sure how many years its been since moving under its own power but like 3+ years ago.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgHazkWpX4iXg4oG...z1ELw?e=vOKBOq