BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Opinions needed please

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions needed please

Hello all, I built and played with a FFR Roadster, I sold it about 2 years ago. It was a BLAST for sure, the most fun I've ever had with a car. I bought a 1939 chevy truck and have been playing with that for about a year or so. I'm looking to sell the truck and buy a 33 hot rod kit. I have a friend who's been building a 33 hot rod kit for someone, it's a Gen 1 kit. He's had several issues with fitment, especially where the door meets the striker, they are WAY OFF, my buddy is a very experienced FFR builder. My question is, are the GEN 2 hot rod kits more refined when it comes to fitment, is the GEN 2 kit a better kit? I've also been looking at a couple of different hot rod manufactures as well, the two other companies cars sit on a conventional frame. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 2 has a few overall improvements - a bit more interior room (width, depth of passenger comparment), angled door jamb at the front allowing easier access, better floor structure giving better heat (and possibly sound) insulation, dual mounting holes for shocks giving a better ride height for full fender/running boards, and I think that's about it - I'm sure others will add if I missed something. In the delete, department: they've deleted the inner liner on the hardtop roof - a very strange change IMO.

There have been some changes on the fiberglass parts particularly forward of the firewall. This seems to have traded some previous challenges for new ones. Overall, the quality and fitment seems to have remained about the same. There are still voids, warped parts, etc - doors, hood, and trunk all remain fun. The quality is variable, some parts being better than others.

Although the quality and fitment of the fiberglass is frustrating, it isn't insurmountable. The kit, I believe, is the most complete on the market with handling and overall performance second to none. It is also rather easy to customize and add your own touches in so many different areas. It's generally agreed that it's a fiberglass shell over a race car chassis.

Cheers
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

3. Likes Just 1 More liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Gen2 has improvements, but none that made me regret my Gen1, honestly. The body is the big majority of the pain.

I doubt that you'll find any chassis as capable elsewhere though - I can't imagine any traditional frame chassis (even the high-end ones) can compete with FFR's space frame for stiffness/capability.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the term "Kit Car" automatically paints the picture in people's heads that part-A goes into Slot-A, etc. and these things just all fit together nice and neat like without issue and that is far from the case with these cars and the it's the biggest reason a lot of guys end up selling their's or have them collecting dust once they get past the mechanical stuff.

These FFR cars can be challenging I agree, but to me it's no different than welding in an aftermarket body part. There is always shaping, cutting, grinding, filling, sanding, etc., they never fit, fiberglass is no different.

For me personally, I had a blast building my 33, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Was the kit perfect and were there no issues? No, but it also taught me how to do fiberglass (and do it quite well) so for me, it added yet another added experience in my tool chest.

I think most people forget the worst thing that can happen in any material (fiberglass or metal) is you screw up and you have to fix it. Its not the end of the world and if you approach these kits with that understanding, I feel folks who are less sure of themselves will be better off.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

7. Likes sread, FF33rod, RoadRacer, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These responses align with what I've noticed as well. Body alignment is a combination of expectations and effort. The body is gonna flex and the steel is not, so get the steel to hold the panels where you want them. The chassis is great but I had a lot learning about how best to put the right things into the right holes! Also remember that this is a high performance car with a cool body. If you want a show car, then be prepared to work on the body a lot. If you want to have a blast, make it minimal. I have a Gen 2 and have learned a lot and had things fit together in surprising ways. Not sure if it is me, the parts, but at the end I dont really care as a I have had a blast. Probably will build a truck in a couple of years just because I'd like to do it again! I think the Gen 2 would be a lot preferred especially because of the floor. I've not driven mine that much yet (~100 miles) but I'm not seeing the heat to the same degree some of the Gen 1 folks have talked about.
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

9. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterh226 View Post
    These responses align with what I've noticed as well. Body alignment is a combination of expectations and effort. The body is gonna flex and the steel is not, so get the steel to hold the panels where you want them. The chassis is great but I had a lot learning about how best to put the right things into the right holes! Also remember that this is a high performance car with a cool body. If you want a show car, then be prepared to work on the body a lot. If you want to have a blast, make it minimal. I have a Gen 2 and have learned a lot and had things fit together in surprising ways. Not sure if it is me, the parts, but at the end I dont really care as a I have had a blast. Probably will build a truck in a couple of years just because I'd like to do it again! I think the Gen 2 would be a lot preferred especially because of the floor. I've not driven mine that much yet (~100 miles) but I'm not seeing the heat to the same degree some of the Gen 1 folks have talked about.

Thanks for the input! I had a blast with my roadster and sometimes wish I'd never sold it. The big reason I sold it was it's so DAMN hot in Houston that i could only drive it a few months out of the year. I'm really thinking of building a 33 due to the fact i can put A/C in it and hopefully cruz during the summer here.

If by chance I find a GEN 2 kit somewhere that's unfinished I will buy ASAP. If I do find one may I contact you for a bit of Q & A?

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vancouver is the flip side of that coin, it's so damn wet here you can only use them a few months a year!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

13. Likes narly1 liked this post