Likes Likes:  81
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bobs 33 build

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work

2. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interior work started

I added 1/4" aluminum to the floor to stiffen it up and not have it feel like I'm going to go through the floor when I get in, which you all know is a chore on its own.

IMG_5912.jpgIMG_5913.jpgIMG_5916.jpg
    Last edited by Bgardner; 05-03-2020 at 04:49 PM.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cut into the transmission tunnel to allow for more pedal room.

I did drape some carpet over this area and feel the indent look will not even be noticed once carpet complete.

IMG_5914.jpgIMG_5915.JPGIMG_6147.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bgardner; 05-03-2020 at 08:18 PM.

6. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    made some seat riser/mounting brackets out of 3" aluminum L-shape

I did offset bolt holes to hold the 2 pieces together so I could swap them side to side and raise the seat if desired . Like the rest not a lot of head clearance and if you sit too high no way to see a stop light with the small front windshield. A fine balance to get the correct seating position, I do have front to back adjustable seat tracks and set everything with these in the middle position. The true test will be when I can put some miles on.

IMG_5935.jpgIMG_5934.jpgIMG_5933.jpg
    Last edited by Bgardner; 05-03-2020 at 01:23 PM.

8. Likes JOP33, FF33rod, Mrallsport32 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    center console done now

Started with cardboard mock up

IMG_5885.jpgIMG_5886.jpgIMG_5886.jpgIMG_5888.jpg

Then made pieces from MDF (fiberboard)

IMG_5966.jpgIMG_5969.jpg

10. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Added some foam for center arm rest and then covered with faux leather.

IMG_6114.jpgIMG_6042.jpg

12. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I installed and Alpine receiver with and external amp. happy with all the options as it has blue tooth, apple car play, front and rear camera inputs. using 4 - 4" speakers all installed in console. planning on installing back up camera in licence plate once I get car registered, not sure if this is allowed although I don't think it will cause much of a problem.

IMG_6151.jpgIMG_6149.jpgIMG_6152.jpg

Needed somewhere for the headlight switch as I did not want it in dash. I installed it just under dash along with highbeam switch and light to prove electric power steering.

IMG_6146.jpg

14. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes FF33rod, Mrallsport32, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For registration I need to have a front licence plate, has anyone done this.

looking for ideas, I am wanting to make something that is easily removable so I can take it off for shows.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bgardner;409997]
    Like the rest not a lot of head clearance and if you sit too high no way to see a stop light with the small front windshield.[QUOTE]

If you cut 1/2 the lip off that the windshield gets glued to, that will give you a better all around viewing angle.
    I did it to the front and rear.
    The front opening is now 9 1/4".
    The rear is 4 1/8" in the middle.
    It's not an earth shattering improvement but it helps.
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-03-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added info
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

19. Thanks Bgardner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic Bob. Great job on the console
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dash and console look great!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice build. Great use of woods.

Did you end up using the vents on the side panels? What was their source?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't installed the vents yet as I have a few other ideas cooking.

the vents from post 73 are a knock off for a ford mustang, I sourced them from Amazon

here is a link to Amazon.com, I did order on Amazon.ca as I am up in Canada

https://www.amazon.com/Intake-Louver...1667196&sr=8-5

24. Thanks Indigo808 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did no quit

A few of life interruptions slowed down my progress.Bobs Phone April 2021 3747.jpg

Recovered from a dirt bike mishap but months of being down has everything else pilling up along with the added need for physio time. Note that I do catch glimpse of a lot of dirt bikes in garages behind the scenes, a lot of similar interest out there.

Car is coming along, I will post a few of the things I did although hard time to member them all if you don't post as you go.

Bobs Phone April 2021 4276.jpg

26. Likes RoadRacer, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hood pin receivers.

I did change thees out for the billet ones from Tim Whittaker at Kootenai Valley Customs

Bobs Phone April 2021 3975.jpg

28. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did my vents on engine side covers, this about the only part of fiberglass work I did as rough fitting all the panels and getting things to line up almost put me over the edge.

Bobs Phone April 2021 3967.jpg

30. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone needs to self engineer on these cars.

This does take time as I find usually the first idea gets tested and needs to be reworked at least once if not twice, also tough with some of the limitations of not having specialty equipment.

In doors , power windows, inside and outside handles, suicide door pins. Looks a mess but all fits and works.

Bobs Phone April 2021 3684.jpg

Used threaded rod to make adjustment on back of trunk lid.

Bobs Phone April 2021 4089.jpg

Had problem with throttle cable smoothness so I rigged this up on inside of firewall.

Bobs Phone April 2021 4170.jpg

Not sure if I will keep this one or change after paint but with hardtop off I printed some flexible filament for the transition from trim to back waterfall.

Bobs Phone April 2021 3997.jpg

32. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgardner View Post
    Did my vents on engine side covers, this about the only part of fiberglass work I did as rough fitting all the panels and getting things to line up almost put me over the edge.

Bobs Phone April 2021 3967.jpg

Found this pic also as most of you probably know how this works but for my limited fiberglass experience I seen on forum to take some away when you are making a transition and it worked great.

Bobs Phone April 2021 3954.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Front plate. can't find a pic of the actual brace I welded up but happy with it and the location. Like I said previous this was attempt 3, Need to make sure I cleared front fender on full turn and also have it stable enough.

Bobs Phone April 2021 4221.jpg

So me and Steve (FF33rod) are In B.C. Canada and I will send out a big THANKS to him for his help and advice on getting car registered and insured as even though I started this project prior to him starting his, he has passed me on the build and I am receiving all the benefits of seeing his progress and steps that need to be taken. End of the day it wasn't that bad just a lot of unknowns, with all the steps I found that if you just walk in there with confidence the staff you are dealing with will listen to you as this is a rare thing for most of them also.

I did decide to go with wipers even though it will be rare for my 33 to see rain.

Note from that pic, I did need to take the car in for the 4 wheel alignment so I held the front windshield in with clamps, worked OK and I did put about 75 miles on the car although I came out to garage one morning to see a crack in the windshield. Nice added expense to build.

Happy to have put the miles on the car as a few bugs are getting worked out prior to body and paint. With my rims the valve stem just hit the brake calipers just minimal but after some miles I did get a flat. fixed with low to no profile stems.

Bobs Phone April 2021 4085.JPG

I have a leak coming from transmission (TKO 600), its coming from the speedo sensor plug. I have changed the O ring 3 times and still have some leakage. Has anyone else had this problem.

35. Thanks FF33rod thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off to body and paint

off to paint.jpg

Like most of you I am having car painted by a body shop (did see a few blogs with guys doing their own body and paint, hats off to them). Big decision to find the correct shop, some of these guys think that getting to talk to them is a privilege. Found a shop with a great guy who is as excited as me about getting the car done. I did need to transport the car 150 miles and this will make it tough to get by offten to see progresss but he will keep me posted as he goes.

37. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off to body and paint

off to paint.jpg

Like most of you I am having car painted by a body shop (did see a few blogs with guys doing their own body and paint, hats off to them). Big decision to find the correct shop, some of these guys think that getting to talk to them is a privilege. Found a shop with a great guy who is as excited as me about getting the car done. I did need to transport the car 150 miles and this will make it tough to get by offten to see progresss but he will keep me posted as he goes.
    Bobs Phone April 2021 4314.jpg

Bobs Phone April 2021 4011.jpg

A few last pics before I took it away. This has been 3 years for me, life did carry and needed to balance things out during that time. 2 grandkids added, all I can say is I will need to do another car as I will be happy to pass this one down one day and will need to be fair to have one for each of them (by the way I do have 3 grandkids and 2 cars currently)

39. Likes FF33rod, peterh226, ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big update Bob! Looking good, I like the side cover vents.
    The help was 2 ways my friend, the info and ideas you helped with were much appreciated. Looking forward to see the progress Ray makes on the body and paint. Hopefully he sends you regular update pics.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Body shop moving along

Shop I am using is a 1 man show and he is into the car as much as I am, full of excitement every time I talk to him. He is also point blank and voices his thoughts re the fiberglass starting point along with the design of the hood latching system (Gen 1), we are working on making some changes to improve this or at least be able to open and close hood without damaging paint.

bead put on fenders and primed.

Fender bead 2.jpg

fender bead.jpg

42. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    all gaping done and car primed. looks great already.

primer body.jpg

color applied to interior doors , trunk and hood.

paint door.jpg

paint trunk.jpg

front grill, open top windshield frame and power window trim pieces sent out for chroming, will be a bit of waiting around for this will slow down progress. Was planning on sending down to California as Ray had connections there he has used in the past but laws are changing and apparently tough to get pieces back across the border. Not many options around here for that.

44. Likes narly1, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Body shop moving along

Shop I am using is a 1 man show and he is into the car as much as I am, full of excitement every time I talk to him. He is also point blank and voices his thoughts re the fiberglass starting point along with the design of the hood latching system (Gen 1), we are working on making some changes to improve this or at least be able to open and close hood without damaging paint.

bead put on fenders and primed.

Fender bead 2.jpg

fender bead.jpg
    That looks great!! how did you do it?

thnx
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll second the question on how you put beading on the fenders. Looks really good.

Thanks,

Andy
    33 Hot Rod with Deluxe Grill (32) Hood & sides, Bike Fenders, Hard Top, AC, Power Windows, Electric Power Steering, 306 Ford Small Block - roller cam, aluminum heads, Eldenbrock intake & carb, T5, Moser 3 link, Arrived 5/6/20.

47. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As below I am having a body shop do all body work, he has a lot of experience with fiberglass

He told me he made a profiling tool and then made the bead with Kevlar reinforced duraglass. I have seen pics of some done and showed him, he quoted 8 hours per fender.

49. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is pic of a nice finished 33 by 65 Cobra Dude with beaded fenders under Completed 33 Rods post #22

Post Thanks / Like
    I think those fenders are from McQueen Prototype Design,...

https://www.mpdfiberbodywerx.com/store.html

RJ
    Last edited by j33ptj; 06-18-2021 at 12:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some pics of fenders with paint on them now.
    Fender paint 2.jpg
    Fender paint 3.jpg
    Fender paint.jpg

53. Likes Straversi, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Bob. She's going to really pop in that colour!

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Back from body and Paint

Received car back from Ray late August. Couldn't be happier with choice of painter. As I probably mentioned in an earlier post I went with a small shop that is located a couple hundred miles from me so I have only seen pics of the progress. Ray kept me informed all the way through the project and did have many complaints re the fiberglass although great enthusiasm for the build as he loves the 33 with the concept of the frame and up to date drive train.

Ray delivering the 33

IMG_7505.jpg

IMG_7507.jpgIMG_7511.jpgIMG_7512.jpgIMG_7515.jpg

57. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN, ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough hours in a day as per my usual. Lots going on and I probably wont get any significant time to reassemble for another month or so.

couldn't wait to at least put hard top on.
    IMG_7517.jpgIMG_7527.jpg

IMG_7527.jpg

I will need to wait until later October to have front and rear glass installed as the glass guy will only give me a large window of time for him to stop by at his convenience.

59. Likes JimLev, FF33rod, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't show to well in pics but I have ghosted flames all down the side. Out in the sun they just pop out if you are at the correct angle.

IMG_7528.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

61. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy with my choice to do the fenders with bead.

IMG_7533.jpg

IMG_7535.jpg

63. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN, ken33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its been 3 years for me to get to this point, amazing all the things in life that come up and put brakes on the project. For me I did not want to be pushing to get the car done as I enjoy getting out there and working on it and know that I have the time available. Its fall now and here in B.C. its time for these cars to be off the road and tucked away until spring. I will get it all wrapped up in my leisure and be ready to be out there come spring.

In the pics some might notice the front grill needs to be lined up, Ray left this for me as he ran over estimated hours and I was fully on board with doing this.

IMG_7529.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

IMG_7532.jpg

65. Likes JimLev, FF33rod, 33fromSD, HVACMAN, ken33 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice - beautiful color!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, great job.

What year is the cuda on the lift in the garage?

Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast