Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone using a F150 Coyote?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using a F150 Coyote?

Hey Guys,

I’m interested to hear about people’s experiences of using a salvaged F150 Coyote in their roadsters. Did you decide to use it close to stock (without cam swap etc.) or did you make the compression ratio changes to make it more like the GT.

Dan
    Last edited by DanM; 06-20-2018 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering the same a while back when I was deciding on my plan. I ended up going with a mustang engine but many guys have done it with just a stock F150 coyote and are happy with it. Henry's car in the article below is an F150 engine. However, you can find stock intake cams out of a mustang for a fair price (~$250) from a car that upgraded. Also a used mustang intake manifold is super cheap. Cant really change the compression ratio difference easily. 100% best way to find a deal on one (or parts) is joining facebook groups and seeing what people have posted for sale.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...cobra.1115011/

3. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine has one. Been on the road for 500 miles. Love it. Actually able to handle the power so may be little bit tamer (read safer). Only tried 1 launch with gps 0-60 time. 4.1 sec and pretty calm launch so should be 4 or just under.

Requires the f150 alternator. Also forces either remote oil filter using block adapter from MMR or swap out timing cover alternator and block adapter to mustang parts. Not hard assuming willing to go remote.

Incredibly cheaper than even a salvage mustang so lots of money to play with.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw84 View Post
    I was wondering the same a while back when I was deciding on my plan. I ended up going with a mustang engine but many guys have done it with just a stock F150 coyote and are happy with it. Henry's car in the article below is an F150 engine. However, you can find stock intake cams out of a mustang for a fair price (~$250) from a car that upgraded. Also a used mustang intake manifold is super cheap. Cant really change the compression ratio difference easily. 100% best way to find a deal on one (or parts) is joining facebook groups and seeing what people have posted for sale.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forum...cobra.1115011/
    Thanks for the article Hacksaw84. I appreciate the input.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frd2 View Post
    Mine has one. Been on the road for 500 miles. Love it. Actually able to handle the power so may be little bit tamer (read safer). Only tried 1 launch with gps 0-60 time. 4.1 sec and pretty calm launch so should be 4 or just under.

Requires the f150 alternator. Also forces either remote oil filter using block adapter from MMR or swap out timing cover alternator and block adapter to mustang parts. Not hard assuming willing to go remote.

Incredibly cheaper than even a salvage mustang so lots of money to play with.

Greg
    Thanks Greg, There seems to be a few threads out there on the forums talking about what could to be done to make it work, but very few post about what people actually did, and the result!

So other than the swapping out the alternator and the oil filter adapter you made no other mods, is that right? What transmission did you use? and what specific coyote related parts did you get from FFR to hook it all up? Happy to continue on PM if you prefer, but it may give other newbies like me a great kick start! :-)

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t remember any other issues or mods besides the oil filter. Alternator came w the motor so just a matter of getting the correct one vs a swap. Running stock ac as well but that forces use of f5 headers as the shorties interfere w the stock ac location. Running elec hydraulic similar to fast Freddie’s but homemade. Running whitby power brakes and donor pedal box. Should have done hydroboost since did power steering. Poor planning I guess.

Almost no other differences to the mustang version so all the f5 install stuff worked like motor mounts and the coyote install kit. Same with the ecu. Mine is gen 1 but other than no clutch switch for top and easy tach connection they are pretty similar.

F150 does not have windage tray as part of the oil pan gasket. I left as is but could swap.

Pulls hard from 2500 to 7000 rpm.

I used tremec Tko600 and irs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you looking at a Gen 1 or Gen 2 F150 coyote? Pre 15 or 2015+?
    The answers will be different for the two
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

9. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Now that you say that isn’t there a firing order issue in the gen 2 that forces you to swap over to mustang cam shafts to be able to use the ecu control pack from ford?

11. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For us Californians it's not an option. Can't use a truck motor in a car and vice-versa. I'm sure some one has, but it's not technically BAR compliant so not an option for me. DANG.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by q4stix View Post
    Are you looking at a Gen 1 or Gen 2 F150 coyote? Pre 15 or 2015+?
    The answers will be different for the two
    I have recently been looking at a salvaged 2014 so that would be a Gen 1. Thanks for the heads Up I didn’t know there was a difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBabyBadger View Post
    For us Californians it's not an option. Can't use a truck motor in a car and vice-versa. I'm sure some one has, but it's not technically BAR compliant so not an option for me. DANG.

Not sure how they would know. The numbers on my motor were not tied to a vin number in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t remember any other issues or mods besides the oil filter. Alternator came w the motor so just a matter of getting the correct one vs a swap. Running stock ac as well but that forces use of f5 headers as the shorties interfere w the stock ac location. Running elec hydraulic similar to fast Freddie’s but homemade. Running whitby power brakes and donor pedal box. Should have done hydroboost since did power steering. Poor planning I guess.

Almost no other differences to the mustang version so all the f5 install stuff worked like motor mounts and the coyote install kit. Same with the ecu. Mine is gen 1 but other than no clutch switch for top and easy tach connection they are pretty similar.

F150 does not have windage tray as part of the oil pan gasket. I left as is but could swap.

Pulls hard from 2500 to 7000 rpm.

I used tremec Tko600 and irs.
    Greg-
    l'm planning my build and really want to do a coyote build but overall cost is a concern, so it is awesome to read that the f150 coyote take-out can work. Do you have a Gen 1 coyote? You said you are running stock AC....do you mean you are using the A/C pump that came with the engine? If not, what part numbers are you using? What about the harness and control pack....did you use the F150 parts or did you have to buy the Ford Performance Mustang Coyote Control Pack? Do you have pictures of your build? I'm trying to piece together exactly what i would need but don't really know a lot about the setup yet, hence all the questions. Any details would be much appreciated. Ultimately on my build, I want to do a take-out Coyote (Gen1 or Gen2) with A/C, power steering, and power brakes. I'm not sure what parts would be needed with a complete kit from FFR to make that happen.
    -Darryl
    Last edited by dbo_texas; 07-10-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how they would know. The numbers on my motor were not tied to a vin number in any way.
    It comes down to the person doing your inspections. If it goes to the BAR for inspection, and the inspector asks for proof of the motor purchase, which is likely, in CA motors cannot be swapped between cars and trucks. So you're rolling the dice in CA over a couple grand. Given the scope and expense of this build: IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? and what will it cost to undo if you get caught?

I think often people jump over nickels trying to save pennies. All situations vary, but sometimes you're just doing too much work to get to the same outcome.

Pros: 1. cheaper. 2.wait.. that's it...
    Cons: 1. Needs tune. 2. Needs cams, used are cheaper BUT a gamble. 3. Needs intake manifold. 4. Doesn't have oil squirters for pistons. 5. not a legal "swap" in many states.

So what do you really save, versus gain by just following those who have walked before you? There's a reason you follow tried and true recipes, they work!

My two pennies, if they're even worth that.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Gen 1 version f150 motor. Using the f150 ac compressor in stock location. That would interfere w the shorty headers so the f5 headers are needed. I am using the ford racing control pack just like for a crate engine. If works great but I did do a custom tune w a company that advertises f150 tunes in addition to mustang. Some tuners refused unless I swapped to mustang intake cams. I did whitby power brakes and electric hydraulic power steering. Similar to fast Freddie’s but junkyard. Probably should have done hydroboost brakes but had not planned on power steering when that decision was made.
    Last edited by frd2; 07-10-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It comes down to the person doing your inspections. If it goes to the BAR for inspection, and the inspector asks for proof of the motor purchase, which is likely, in CA motors cannot be swapped between cars and trucks. So you're rolling the dice in CA over a couple grand. Given the scope and expense of this build: IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? and what will it cost to undo if you get caught?

I think often people jump over nickels trying to save pennies. All situations vary, but sometimes you're just doing too much work to get to the same outcome.

Pros: 1. cheaper. 2.wait.. that's it...
    Cons: 1. Needs tune. 2. Needs cams, used are cheaper BUT a gamble. 3. Needs intake manifold. 4. Doesn't have oil squirters for pistons. 5. not a legal "swap" in many states.

So what do you really save, versus gain by just following those who have walked before you? There's a reason you follow tried and true recipes, they work!

My two pennies, if they're even worth that.
    Not sure for some of the differences. They all need a tune. Yes the cam is different but not a big enough difference imho. If you want to swap them still tons cheaper. Same intake manifold? Again not tough enough to swap If not. Different yrs of the motor have oil squirters and not. But if a street car who cares? I definitely never meant to suggest trying to use a truck motor in a state that outlawed. Was only pointing out the difficulty and curiosity that there is no obvious way to track it.

If you want to have a new motor w a warranty and squeak out the extra 75 hp vs a gen 1 f150 then absolutely go for it. I love how it drives etc so I promise you would love it. The f150 is only a suggestion for folks looking to save $4000 or so vs the crate option. On the street it is more fun than should be allowed. Oh wait. It probably isn’t allowed.
    Last edited by frd2; 07-10-2018 at 08:38 PM.