Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brakes for my roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Brakes for my roadster

I have read on the forums that the brake pads that come from FFR are not the best option--especially if not using power brakes. So my question is, what pads are using? This is not a track car and I am using the 15" Halibrand wheels.

I appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used EBC blue stuff front and rear and the brakes work much better I can lock up all four wheels without having to stand on the brake pedal they also produce a lot less dust than the original pads

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rick,

Good Information To Know!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    I used EBC blue stuff front and rear and the brakes work much better I can lock up all four wheels without having to stand on the brake pedal they also produce a lot less dust than the original pads

Rick
    Thanks; I found them on line. They were priced between 200 and 250 for the set of four.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the FFR PBR brakes with manual brakes and rear drums, I have had no issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out g-loc!!!!!!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve's Stupid Question:

Is anyone besides me running Ford Explorer Rear Discs with the stock Mustang Front Disc Set Up?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Hawh HPS Street (ferro-carbon), Duralast Max (ceramic), and Duralast GT (carbon fiber) with no discernible difference in performance on the street or at the track. The brakes from my donor were sized for a much heavier car, so any of these pads will stand my car on its nose at the end of a long straight. The Duralast pads are a little less expensive with no noticeable fade, so are the right choice for me.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    goDadgo, I'm running a similar setup to you. 2000 GT PBR calipers up front with Hawk Performance HPS brake pads. On the rear its 11" rotors and calipers from North Race Cars. Essentially explorer type calipers, with stock pads. I'm running a hydra-boost (from the 2000GT). Nice tight pedal, stops on a dime and leaves some change.....
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hawk HP+ on mine.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally speaking the mustang brakes will need a lot more rear brake when used on an FFR. mustang was at least 55% front weight while the FFR is 53% rear weight. There are several options to kelp this. The Explorer or Lincoln rear brakes are a step in the right direction. I have only experience w/ Hawk pads. In order of increased grip they are HPS, HPS5.0, HP+, Street/Race. The difference between HPS and HPS5.0 is slight. The difference from either of those to HP+ is tremendous and then the step to Street/Race is again a small one. This is good to know because not all of the pads are available for every caliper. So the first two are useable to mix and match as are the last two. It is also good to know because the easiest way to get more rear brake is to use one of the HPS or HPS5.0 on the front while using the HP+ or Street/Race on the rear. The HP+ and Street/Race do definitely dust more. The ArmorAll spray really helps w/ the dust.
    http://www.armorall.com/products/whe...dust-repellent
    The HPS5.0 is the newer version so i wouldn't be surprised if the HPS goes away at some point. The Street/Race is also a newer version so maybe the HP+ will go away too. Unfortunately I have never found good enough data to be able compare brands. It's hard enough to compare compounds within one manufacturer.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the 11.65 rear brakes with my kit. I just got my rear calipers from FFR. However they don't match the picture in the instructions. Any suggestions on what they sent?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I ordered the 11.65 rear brakes with my kit. I just got my rear calipers from FFR. However they don't match the picture in the instructions. Any suggestions on what they sent?
    My mistake. But in my defense I wasn't the only one who looked at the calipers and axle assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got the hawk hps pads front and rear, happy so far but nothing to compare to.