Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: steering too quick

Post Thanks / Like

steering too quick

I have a mk3 with a 2.5 turn lock to lock rack and pinion and it is a little dicey when changing lanes ect. is there a rack with a little more turns lock to lock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Breeze sells this. Oh, well,, they used to sell a 3.0 turns rack but i don't see it. So next is autozone
    #6406; 3.0 turns lock to lock
    #6439; 2.5 turns lock to lock
    #64163 2.25 turns lock to lock
    I agree, loved the 2.5 in autocross and hated it on the street. So I have the 3.0. Just to be sure you have checked other possible causes though;
    -is front tire pressure 20-22#s
    -is front toe-IN at 1/8 to 3/16 total?
    -have you cut the pressure spring in the pump or installed a Heidt's valve to reduce assist? (BTW, I prefer cutting the spring which is nice since it' free)
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Yes. Breeze sells this. Oh, well,, they used to sell a 3.0 turns rack but i don't see it. So next is autozone
    #6406; 3.0 turns lock to lock
    #6439; 2.5 turns lock to lock
    #64163 2.25 turns lock to lock
    I agree, loved the 2.5 in autocross and hated it on the street. So I have the 3.0. Just to be sure you have checked other possible causes though;
    -is front tire pressure 20-22#s
    -is front toe-IN at 1/8 to 3/16 total?
    -have you cut the pressure spring in the pump or installed a Heidt's valve to reduce assist? (BTW, I prefer cutting the spring which is nice since it' free)
    tire pressure is 20lbs.
    manual steering box.
    toe is 1/8 in.
    need a manual rack with 3-31/2 turns lock to lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alv69 View Post

need a manual rack with 3-31/2 turns lock to lock.
    Your two choices in manual racks are 15:1 or 20:1 - you *probably* have a 15:1 rack (most common manual rack).

Alternatively, you could add a 1.5:1 steering quickener in backwards (might be easier + cheaper).

Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLEMAN-MACHINE-22369-Steering-Quickener

Post Thanks / Like
    Easiest and cheapest is to slow down your hands. The rack is not dicey, how quickly you are turning the wheel is. Just adjust your steering inputs. Changing a steering rack when you can just make a small change is your driving inputs seems rather foolish to me but to each their own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Easiest and cheapest is to slow down your hands. The rack is not dicey, how quickly you are turning the wheel is. Just adjust your steering inputs. Changing a steering rack when you can just make a small change is your driving inputs seems rather foolish to me but to each their own.
    I tend to agree - not sure how you could possibly keep up with the (immediate) inputs needed for, ummm, "enthusiastic driving" with a slower rack...

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have a 2.5 rack (power) and initially I didn't like it. It was too quick, and too twitchy. I currently need more caster mind you. I was looking to get a slower rack... then.. one day with a little over-use of the gas-pedal on a corner, the back-end got out.. like it does. Quick jab at the wheel and I was back under full control in a blink. I'm in love with the fast-ratio now. So much easier to get correct with smaller movements. To each his own, but I'd encourage you to drive it a while and see how it feels. That's just my 02c for ya.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

8. Likes Ducky2009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have driven it 800 miles and just not happy with the quick steering, I had a rack in my race car like this and it was too fast for even that[ northeast modified] and I switched that one out. it is an easy job to switch racks wondering if someone has one?
    Last edited by alv69; 06-24-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished my build, have about 500 miles on it. Initially the quick steering was unsettling, like when entering the freeway from a ramp. But I'm much more comfortable with it now. I'd suggest driving it more before you make a decision to change it. I'm leaving mine like it is.
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a different driving style. Most people place their hands at the top (2 and 10 o'clock position) or the side (3 and 9 o'clock position) on the steering wheel. Try lowering your elbows into your waste and place your hands at the 4:30 and 7:30 position. This will limit the possibility of oversteer.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 06-26-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have driven it 80 miles and just not happy with the quick steering, I had a rack in my race car like this and it was too fast for even that[ northeast modified] and I switched that one out. it is an easy job to switch racks wondering if someone has one?
    It depends what you want to do with the car.

If you just want to cruise - a 20:1 might make you happy.

Go autocross it and when you find yourself boxed into a tight 90 you'll find you already have to get a full turn on the wheel to get into the corner (with a 15:1), and you'll have to get that full turn back out (+ ready for more) before you can pick back up on the throttle...

I'm running a 2:1 steering quickener on a 15:1 rack (=7.5:1) and it's the best thing I ever did to the car.

You can't stand that without some form of PS (EPAS here).

And you definitely have to adapt your hand speed / steering inputs (think F1 / Indy car).

I agree you should drive it more than 80 miles before trying to change the essential nature of the car / what it was actually made to do.

Try an autocross or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    It depends what you want to do with the car.

If you just want to cruise - a 20:1 might make you happy.

Go autocross it and when you find yourself boxed into a tight 90 you'll find you already have to get a full turn on the wheel to get into the corner (with a 15:1), and you'll have to get that full turn back out (+ ready for more) before you can pick back up on the throttle...

I'm running a 2:1 steering quickener on a 15:1 rack (=7.5:1) and it's the best thing I ever did to the car.

You can't stand that without some form of PS (EPAS here).

And you definitely have to adapt your hand speed / steering inputs (think F1 / Indy car).

I agree you should drive it more than 80 miles before trying to change the essential nature of the car / what it was actually made to do.

Try an autocross or two.
    corrected the post I have 800 miles on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    corrected the post I have 800 miles on the car.
    Ok - if you've done 800 miles and you haven't found anything you want to do with the car that requires a fast bunch of hand over hand on the steering wheel...

A 20:1 might make you happier.

Post Thanks / Like
    does anyone have one they want to part with?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, after years as a driving skills coach, this is just a pet peeve of mine. There is nothing wrong with your rack but you do need to correct your driving. The faster you are moving, the slower you should be turning the wheel. If you want to be a safe driver, you need to improve your driving skills, not your car.
    Last edited by Clover; 06-25-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, after years as a driving skills coach, this is just a pet peeve of mine. There is nothing wrong with your rack but you do need to correct your driving. The faster you are moving, the slower you should be turning the wheel. If you want to be a safe driver, you need to improve your driving skills, not your car.
    I disagree. Most of us have a different daily driver car. We also drive other cars occasionally. If you hop in the cobra and feel the steering is too quick, yes you can live w/ it, yes you can re-calibrate yourself. But after 800 miles, if the OP still doesn't like it, I think he should change it. One advantage of building one's own car is the ability to make it what YOU want. To me, the last line above comes off as condescending and is not helpful.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not racing the car just cruising and want to be able to not have the car switch lanes with a slight turn of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve got about 800 miles on mine now too and have the FFR 18:1 manual rack, which is about 3 1/4 turns, besides slow speeds being obviously heavy, I’m thinking I would like a faster rack, I can see why guys want the fast power racks for autocross, tighter turns and especially trying to catch the rear end in a slide I would like a faster rack.
    It’s responsive but not twitchy on the highway, pretty cruisy, I imagine you would like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the Breeze manual rack with rack extenders.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1011&cat_id=12
    It is between the Flaming River 4 turn and the typical "quick ratio" manual racks.

Looks like a trade between Murd and Alv69 might work!
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Here is the Breeze manual rack with rack extenders.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...1011&cat_id=12
    It is between the Flaming River 4 turn and the typical "quick ratio" manual racks.

Looks like a trade between Murd and Alv69 might work!

I think they had better compare some precise measurements - including what specific spindles they're using - because they may find they both have the same exact rack...

The only one I see listed direct from FFR is 15:1 - #12619

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post

I think they had better compare some precise measurements - including what specific spindles they're using - because they may find they both have the same exact rack...

To further elaborate - we can't talk in terms of the OP's 2.5 turns vs. Alv69's 3.25 turns because we don't know how many steering limiters are installed in each (or if any - but most have some installed).

Add to that manufacturing variables between Unisteer / Flaming River / whoever makes what FFR is currently selling / or used to sell.

So to compare apples to apples you'd need to know precisely how much steering rack throw you get out of a single turn or maybe two turns of the steering wheel (whatever works better).

Even talking in terms of 15:1 or 20:1 is an approximation since we don't know who's using what for spindles (and don't forget Ackermann - try and get a firm ratio on that, lol)
    Last edited by mike223; 06-26-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Ackermann

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d explore a trade but since I am in Canada I think shipping would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention waiting till I could drive again.

I was wondering the same about spindle length, I have the sn95 94-95s and wondered if anyone had checked out of the new FFR spindles had a different length/ratio.

No limiters on mine, as far as I’m aware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post

I think if you can't jam a tire / wheel against something on at least one side at lock you've almost certainly got some in there.

The reason to put them in is to prevent that from ever happening.

I hear 3/4" PVC pipe works very well - cut to fit - I used Ford parts before I heard about PVC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought to look for limiters. Mine rubbed at full droop on jack stands but not at ride height. I’ve got 235 60 15s so not as wide as some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    I’d explore a trade but since I am in Canada I think shipping would be prohibitively expensive. Not to mention waiting till I could drive again.

I was wondering the same about spindle length, I have the sn95 94-95s and wondered if anyone had checked out of the new FFR spindles had a different length/ratio.

Where are you in Ontario? We just finished a couple thousand K trip last week through most of southern Ontario. North Bay to Midland, Collingwood, Port Elgin, Goderich, Stratford, Woodstock, Port Dover, Niagara on the Lake, Port Perry, Peterborough, Bobcaygeon, Huntsville, North Bay. Spent 3 hours on QEW and 401. That was enough. Another road trip planned for September.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 06-27-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I’m in Alliston, just southwest of barrie. I’m headed to the cottage in Haliburton for the summer this weekend though. I work from home and wife is off on maternity leave so summer at the lake and twisty northern roads!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a mk3 with a 2.5 turn lock to lock rack and pinion and it is a little dicey when changing lanes ect. is there a rack with a little more turns lock to lock?
    I was able to calm the twitchiness down by adding more castor and a bit more toe in. I have a power rack so went to 8*, you probably can't go that far with a manual rack but it might be worthwhile to check to make sure you are at least at 3* and maybe try an extra 1/16th toe in before you swap out the rack? Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if Flaming River still sells their rack that was available back when I built my MKII but it is 4 turns lock-to-lock - I believe that works out to a 20:1 ratio.
    It's been in the car for fifteen years and I love it . . . manual steering that feels like power. Not the least bit "twitchy" on the road and easy to park - not one finger easy but not a struggle.

Just my 2¢

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all the replies but now wondering if someone has a manual rack they did not use that they would part with that is 3 1/2 -4 turns lock to lock.

Post Thanks / Like
    That Minden to Huntsville portion on Hwy35 was a hoot in the roadster. The Tims stop at Minden became a mini car show. It would be absolutely beautiful in October. Enjoy the summer at the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    If you are ever back down there let me know, I’ll send you a pm. Hwy 118 and 117 that run from 35 west to 11 put 35 to shame.
    Anyway glad you had a great trip, I’m about 20 min north of Minden, always a place for you to stay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Try a different driving style. Most people place their hands at the top (2 and 10 o'clock position) or the side (3 and 9 o'clock position) on the steering wheel. Try lowering your elbows into your waste and place your hands at the 4:30 and 7:30 position. This will limit the possibility of oversteer.
    Well...…………..
    I was skeptical of this at first, but gave it a try.
    Amazing!
    A very different feel. With my elbows down at my sides, I was controlling minor steering inputs with my wrists and elbows, not my shoulders as when my hands are higher on the wheel.
    Investigating further, I found my daily drivers are driven with my elbows resting on the console and door rest. When I raised them and drove more straight-armed, there was more "twitchiness".

I added a Heidts valve, turned 4 turns out, and am now pretty satisfied with the feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp View Post
    Well...…………..
    I was skeptical of this at first, but gave it a try.
    Amazing!
    A very different feel. With my elbows down at my sides, I was controlling minor steering inputs with my wrists and elbows, not my shoulders as when my hands are higher on the wheel.
    Investigating further, I found my daily drivers are driven with my elbows resting on the console and door rest. When I raised them and drove more straight-armed, there was more "twitchiness".

I added a Heidts valve, turned 4 turns out, and am now pretty satisfied with the feel.
    I was introduced to this driving style a couple years ago through a law enforcement buddy. The "shuffle" technique is taught in some high performance driving schools.
    Its the only way I drive my roadster on the highway.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 06-29-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thing...
    I found my steering wheel hub was a little loose on the shaft. Not much, but enough to make the steering "notchy". I slit the hub and installed a split shaft collar over the back side of the hub and that tightened up the slop. Feels much better now. The flats on the shaft are undersized in my opinion, allowing the slop to occur.