Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flickering dash lights and poor idle

Post Thanks / Like

Flickering dash lights and poor idle

Hi guys I recently developed a flickering dash problem and a idle quality issue. The idle was “hunting” around to stay running and several times dies out, plus the dash odometer back lights were flickering. It would not flicker if the engine was not running.
    I made a check list by looking through the drawings starting with the alternator charging. Then the feeds through the ignition switch, to the fuse block and then to the dash pin terminal C7. 13.8volts running very steady. The ground to the dash pin A8 was reading 11.6 ohms to the chassis. This pin goes to the EG1 ground which is the grounding tab on the intake manifold and also grounds most of the engine control computer,. Very importantly! This difference was the problem. I ran a heavy 6 gauge wire from the engine head to the intake manifold.
    Also I checked all the grounding cables from the battery to the starter and chassis.
    Upon starting the engine I noticed instantly the difference in the idle quality. I then metered the feed to the dash and ground at the dash was 13.8 steady and no flickering lights!
    I then proceeded to enrich the idle through Romraider software from 14.7 target AFR closed loop incrementally to 13.5 AFR and WOW what a pleasingly smooth idle.
    Since I first got the engine running I always had idling issues. Even though the engine pulls hard to 6800 the idle was always jumping around.
    I read tons of information on NASIOC there is a lot of talk about the intake manifold grounding mod but I thought if everything is new and clean I should be alright. Not!
    Grounds are a funny thing! Strange funny not haha funny. Beware and check your grounds!
    Last edited by DMC7492; 06-23-2018 at 03:06 PM.

2. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An experienced electrical engineer once said to me ... "grounds are like democracies, some are more equal than others."