Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6MT transmission options?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

6MT transmission options?

I'm in the process of building an 818S with 2006 WRX running gear. I'll probably start out with the stock turbo and just tune it a little more aggressively than stock, but I figure I am eventually going to want more. From owning several turbo Subarus in the past, I'm inclined to distrust the 5MT. I'll probably try it, but I don't know how long to expect it to live.

Has anyone here experimented with doing 2WD conversions on JDM STi 6-speed transmissions? Low-mileage examples are often cheaper and easier to obtain than their US counterparts. The easiest and cheapest to find is the "version 7" STi gearbox, which was used circa 2002-2003. These have very short gear ratios and a viscous coupling center differential, as opposed to the DCCD unit used in the '04+ US transmissions. They also typically have stub shafts on the front differential (which can be removed), and I believe they use an internal oil pump like the earlier US models. Is it possible to do a 2WD conversion on one of these transmissions?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've modified 6 or 7 JDM 6 speed transmissions for FWD. I do the mod for $350.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos