FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Checked a big one off my bucket list

Post Thanks / Like

Checked a big one off my bucket list

I drove my Roadster up to the top of Pikes Peak! What a beautiful and fun ride, plus my grandson rode with me which made it an even more memorable experience.
    Traffic was pretty light on the way up so I was able to get a bit "sporty" on a few sections.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple more photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

3. Likes David Hodgkins, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, that is on my bucket list too. The pictures are terrific. Glad you had a good time with your grandson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice check off!!!!!
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just Added To My Bucket List!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That's awesome. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice. That photo of you going around the left-hander with nothing but sky to your right is spectacular!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

9. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic pictures, Bob. I am glad you had some room to run. It is good they paved the road. We went up years ago before they paved it.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my bucket list just got a little longer.
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic! And especially sweet having your grandson with you. Where are the photos with the boy driving?!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    How cool is that; good on you!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, I guess I should start my bucket list.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Fantastic! And especially sweet having your grandson with you. Where are the photos with the boy driving?!
    One of these days I intend to teach him to drive it, but not on Pikes Peak! He's been driving for 4 years and I taught him to drive a stick in an old pickup so I know he can do it. However in a pickup if you let the clutch out to quick it dies. In a Cobra you might drive through the neighbors house.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is definitely on my list of Colorado drives when my car is finished. Here is a cool video of the Mile Hi Cobra Club members making the drive.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well that is just beautiful. Congratulations!
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a more spirited drive up the mountain:

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    I drove my Roadster up to the top of Pikes Peak! What a beautiful and fun ride, plus my grandson rode with me which made it an even more memorable experience.
    That is great!

I think that needs to be added to my bucket list too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    Very nice. That photo of you going around the left-hander with nothing but sky to your right is spectacular!

John
    Who shot those pics? The right-hander through the trees is also especially notable. All of them are really good.

Same as everyone else, I gotta drive that some day.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple more photos.
    These 2 are fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing a great ride...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Traffic was pretty light on the way up so I was able to get a bit "sporty" on a few sections.
    If you have a chance, get up to Estes Park and do the Trail Ridge Rd. drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Be sure to take the newly reopened Big Thompson Canyon (Hwy 36) road into Estes Park.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. What other roads do you have on your list? maybe this should be a whole separate thread. =)
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Who shot those pics? The right-hander through the trees is also especially notable. All of them are really good.

Same as everyone else, I gotta drive that some day.

My wife was in a car following. She was using her Nikon D5200. She took a bunch of them, but many were a bit blurry because she was in a bouncing car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    If you have a chance, get up to Estes Park and do the Trail Ridge Rd. drive through the Rocky Mountain National Park. Be sure to take the newly reopened Big Thompson Canyon (Hwy 36) road into Estes Park.

Dave
    We were scheduled to make that run but got rained out. We did make the run out 24 to Woodland park area. Guess we will have to make another trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Congrats. What other roads do you have on your list? maybe this should be a whole separate thread. =)
    Blue Ridge Parkway is on my short list. We drove a small section in the DD on the way up to visit Factory Five. It's really cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, I looked that up. It looks like an amazing drive.

I am planning to hit up the Tail of the Dragon in NC, Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway in SD, and Highway 1 in CA. I did just drive a small section of Bear Tooth Pass in MT a few weeks ago with my wife's Camry. I'd like to go back and do the whole thing with the Cobra.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. That is a great one for the list.

Did you beat 7:57? Those guys are insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, glad to see you took the roadster on your trip, you said you thought you might. Tell Cathy the pictures are great.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time permitting I would recommend the following if you do the drive:

http://ppihc.org/penrose-heritage-museum-competitors/

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning to hit up the Tail of the Dragon in NC, Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway in SD, and Highway 1 in CA.
    I've done the Needles Highway and Highway 101 down the Pacific Coast, although not in my (unfinished) Cobra. They would be amazing drives except for everyone else on the road. In both cases, most of the time was spent behind RVs.

One drive I recommend as long as you're in South Dakota is the back road between Rushmore and Custer State Park - 16A. Gorgeous scenery, great turns, and not heavily traveled. Check the screen shot from Google Maps and you'll see what I mean. Yes, the 360-degree loops are real - there are three of them. It's close enough to the Needles Highway that you could do both in the same day, if you have a strong stomach. My favorite parts on 16A are where the road separates and you have a single lane each direction, far enough apart that you feel like you're all alone. If people are interested I could dig up some pictures.

2018-06-27 13_08_50-Keystone - Google Maps.png
    Last edited by initiator; 06-27-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    I've done the Needles Highway and Highway 101 down the Pacific Coast, although not in my (unfinished) Cobra. They would be amazing drives except for everyone else on the road. In both cases, most of the time was spent behind RVs.

One drive I recommend as long as you're in South Dakota is the back road between Rushmore and Custer State Park - 16A. Gorgeous scenery, great turns, and not heavily traveled. Check the screen shot from Google Maps and you'll see what I mean. Yes, the 360-degree loops are real - there are three of them. It's close enough to the Needles Highway that you could do both in the same day, if you have a strong stomach. My favorite parts on 16A are where the road separates and you have a single lane each direction, far enough apart that you feel like you're all alone. If people are interested I could dig up some pictures.

2018-06-27 13_08_50-Keystone - Google Maps.png
    The road you are referring to is same Iron Mountain Road that I mentioned. You are right, it is amazing. I love the 360° loops and the splits. The tunnels are fun too. I drove it in my wife's Camry and then went back and did it again on my Harley a year later. Can't wait to do it in the Cobra. You are brave driving an RV down those roads...the tunnels are narrow!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    The road you are referring to is same Iron Mountain Road that I mentioned. You are right, it is amazing. I love the 360° loops and the splits. The tunnels are fun too. I drove it in my wife's Camry and then went back and did it again on my Harley a year later. Can't wait to do it in the Cobra. You are brave driving an RV down those roads...the tunnels are narrow!
    Ok, sorry I looked right past that in your post. I certainly wasn't driving an RV, just meant they were plugging up the road and keeping us family minivan-drivers from acting like Enzo.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing...looks like I have to add another item to my bucket list.....