Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: John and Garry's 2018 Excellent Adventure

Post Thanks / Like

John and Garry's 2018 Excellent Adventure

A travel memo from Garry Bopp and John Tongish

Hi all, this is John, and this is Garry, and we want to invite you all along on this year’s Excellent Adventure in our respective blue and yellow roadsters. John leaves July 6th to trailer through the central and northern parts of California, the Oregon and Washington coasts, and eventually run his Yellow One on three road courses in the northwest.

Come early August, Garry trailers his #98 blue Challenge Car to Walla Walla, Washington, to link up with John and Karen, a well-known FFR ambassador and her black #28 Challenge Car. We will spend a couple of quality weeks driving the back roads of Idaho, Montana, and the Dakotas. Along the way we will mooch off relatives and friends, sample a lot of local foods and bars, and of course, check out some road gems Garry knows. Also on the list are road trips in the roadsters to Glacier National Park and Little Big Horn Battlefield. After visiting with Garry’s family and friends in North Dakota, Karen heads west while John and Garry continue east.

From North Dakota we trailer on to Duluth, Minnesota, and the next page in this adventure. After dumping the trailers and tow vehicles, we link up with Rick Soloway and his brother, and head off on a six-day loop around Lake Superior. We hope Canada is ready for three loud cobras tooling around the lake (and I don’t forget my passport).

After returning to our trailers in Duluth, we then head off to Racine, Wisconsin, for an architectural pilgrimage to the Johnson Wax Company designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Constructed in the 1930s, the Johnson family have preserved this significant architectural work and offer free tours most of the year. We also hope to gain access to Wingspread, a 14,000+sf residence by FLW also done in the ‘30s, and now a business conference center. This structure is also in Racine. You can never have enough good architecture.

In late August Garry and John part company. Garry has to beat it back to Georgia to prep his RV for some road trips to Bluegrass festivals and family events along the east coast. John heads west and back to Dana Point, California, but not before visiting relatives and friends, and spending a few more days at the track. On the schedule is Road America in Wisconsin, Hi-Plains in Colorado, Miller in Salt Lake City, and Thunder Hill in Northern California. If all the tracks are visited this summer, John’s Yellow One will have driven a total of thirty different road courses in the U.S. and Canada since 2010.

We will try and slow down from time to time to update all on how we are doing and some of the trouble we are getting in to. We also hope everyone reading this shares the same love for these cars that we have built and drive, and will put together their own Excellent Adventure in the future. Don’t wait, do it sooner rather than later.

John and Garry
    P.s.: Stops we made in past Excellent Adventures

18 2.jpg
    Schmoozing at the Porsche Complex in Atlanta, Georgia
    18 1.jpg
    A sleepover at FLW’s Palmer House in Ann Arbor, Michigan
    john and garry.JPG
    John and Garry toasting the sunset in Long Island, New York
    Last edited by Garry Bopp; 06-24-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added a word
    I can't believe I built it, and it runs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow, that sounds incredible and I am so very jealous. I am still waiting on my kit to be delivered, however, what you guys are doing is pretty much exactly how I want to enjoy my car once I complete it. Going out to enjoy the beauty of what is around us and the experience of the drive. My wife and I also both appreciate FLW and going to visit some of his pieces is a fun idea. I live in Colorado and would love to come see you out at High Plains when you are here. It is a really fun track in my opinion. Kind of a new track that a lot of people are not familiar with, however, it has a little bit of everything and two corners in particular that you can't help but smile around. Also, if you have time in Colorado, I can suggest some really gorgeous drives through the mountains. In exchange I am going to want the exact route details of your adventure though. I could see my wife and I following in some of your footsteps in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Clover,
    Glad we got your juices flowing. Our cars are magnets for making new friends. It's also pretty special seeing the scenery in a convertible. I am signed up to run High Plains Sept. 1/2. Look me up and I will give you some tips for planning your Excellent Adventure.
    John
    Last edited by John Tongish; 06-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    I can't believe I built it, and it runs!

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Latest update to our Excellent Adventure 2018:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/event/08-24-...4E4715C9F3564D

Come join us for the fun!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    John, I just saw you name on our attendance list for this week end.

I'll be there racing my Exocet in TTU. I'll also be instructing in HPDE1, out at the same time you are. We'll have to get together this week end for a chat. Can't wait to see your FFR. We haven't had a Cobra on the track since mine retired.

www.RacingTheExocet.com
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So Jealous! Wish I was with you!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Gentlemen,

Make your Next Excellent Adventure to Cruising The Coast.
    Camp Go-Dad-Go will have couches and covered parking for you both.
    Take Care & Happy Motoring!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Great day at High Plains Raceway today. Scenery is here. Wish you were beautiful.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com