Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door window seal for top

Post Thanks / Like

Door window seal for top

The seal that came with top for door window will not fit on top, gripy part to small. So what have others used?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its hard getting answers as a lot of people are out enjoying their cars!!! Curious to see the answer(s) myself.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seal? I think I remember some seal material in the kit but nothing fit the top.

Seals? I don't need no stinkin' seals. Can't hear the wind noise over the exhaust, won't be driving in the rain, there's so many other openings for dust to get in a window seal won't have any effect, and whatever air gets around the plastic windows is welcomed as the windows don't roll down and there's no A/C.

Sorry, no help here. Just another one of those "kit" parts that don't fit very well. All I can do is validate what you already know. However, if I was going to run window seals I'd search McMaster-Carr for some seal that will fit the flange on the top. Or perhaps Speedway Motors has something. I suspect everyone that has seen this problem simply developed their own workaround.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have four parts from McMaster-carr and not all good with any. May cut the back off FFR seal and glue on.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The door window seal is a one piece that has felt towards the window. I only seals from the inside of the window. Not like conventional car window seals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, i have seal that came with the kit, but it will not fit over the body. Maby cut and glue on? Getting the windows to work right is a job.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    Yes, i have seal that came with the kit, but it will not fit over the body. Maby cut and glue on? Getting the windows to work right is a job.
    You have to trim the top so the seal fits properly. The top is usually to thick in that area. I use a belt sander to get it correct. This is common for trunk seals also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another source Steele Rubber https://www.steelerubber.com/

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Using some very strong adhesive MAY work but keep in mind the forces affecting the seal. If all you had to do was seal the window while closing the door any self-adhesive weatherstrip the appropriate size would work. The force would be in the direction of the flange (flange on the top that holds the seal) and that flange would act as a support. However, the seal must withstand the force of opening and closing the window while the door is closed. That means in addition to the force of closing the door the seal has to withstand the force of the window trying to push or pull the seal vertically up and down as it opens and closes. The design of the top does not incorporate a natural support for the seal in the vertical direction. Opening the window will want to drag the seal vertically down -- a strong adhesive & strong seal material MAY resist this. But when closing the window the leading edge (top) of the window may catch the edge of the seal and roll the seal loose from the adhesive. The tighter the fit the worse this will be.

So it seems to me it would be far better to find a seal that will fit the flange if using the clamping style similar to what FFR provides. Or perhaps riveting the seal to the flange would work but you would have to have a sturdy seal backing that was thick enough to countersink the rivets so they were safely below the plane of the window so they would not scrape the window. I have seen OEM window channel seals riveted in the corners so you're not treading new ground with this design.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am having a difficult time grasping which seals we are talking about. Long story shut we cut the top of the door panels per the 2009 instruction manual. We discovered severe structural weaknesses where the top of the door panels seamed together. While fixing that, we built up the material on the edge of the cutout where the FFR supplied strips won't fit. We built the thickness of the fiberglass from below 1/8 to at least a 3/16 or 1/4. Accordingly the strips with the kit will not push on. I am tryi8ng to find a strips or set of strips with the same dimensions except the push on width being 3/16-1/4 vice the 1/8 or less.

Before reinforcing the edges:

Door Handles-1.jpgDoor Handles-2.jpgDoor Handles-3.jpgDoor Handles-4.jpgDoor Handles-5.jpgDoor Handles-6.jpgDoor Handles-7.jpgDoor Handles-8.jpgDoor Handles-11.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After Reinforcing the edges:

Seq-14a2.jpgSeq-14a6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrp
    It is the seal where the glass is up to cab.
    Have you looked at Hagen hot rod?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK i got the grinder out and fixed the top , seal goes on now !
    Have had window works in and out and i think DS will work.
    You need to make sure and check how high you need the window regulator, book has 19 inches but i had to weld an inch back on.

Post Thanks / Like