Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tank - Emissions Parts 2000 GT Donor / New Gas Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tank - Emissions Parts 2000 GT Donor / New Gas Tank

Hi, I'm here in Canada building a 289 using the running gear from a 2000 Mustang GT (4,6, FI, Emissions...).

I bought a new Gas Tank, which came with new pump and that's fine. However, there were two emmissions components in the old tank, a smaller blue plastic "Vent Valve" and a larger blue plastic thing that rattles. I can buy a new gasket/grommet for the Vent Valve, but the other part is a mystery. Even my local Ford shop could not identify it - they said to start with "it's not a Ford part". I know it is as I took it out of the old, rusty, tank myself.

I am struggling with "How to separate the larger blue plastic thing from the remains of the tank". Does it screw apart from the top? Does it push through the tank? I cut out the tank-metal around it when I scrapped the old tank.

I'm pretty sure I need to re-use it, and the large filter it attaches to outside the tank, or my FI system will constantly throw codes....

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)

Post Thanks / Like
    SN95 tank here - no such problems.

After some research, best I can do is refer you to post #7 here: http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=41228

It should at least give you more info than you currently have.

3. Thanks Jonathan427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The larger part is called the "Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator". it is not available from Ford anymore. The small port is the pressure relief valve.
    The hose from the large port goes to the tank pressure transmitter and on to the venting system n the mustang.

it is just pushed into the grommet, but has a ridge that make it next to impossible to remove in one piece. I cut a circle out of the tank and then cut it out of that piece of metal. i installed mine with a new grommet. The grommet part number is XR3Z-9B076AB.

I plan to connect mine to a connection towards the top of the fill pipe to vent the tank when fillling.

but the grommet is. the Grommet part number is

5. Thanks Jonathan427 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Messrs. Huff and Mike223.

Thank you so much for your helpful guidance!

The small grommet is F50Y 9B076 A, and the larger grommet is XR3Z 9B076 AB. I ended up cutting around my Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator, cutting around it with tinsnips out of the old tank, then using a Stanley knife to remove the old (really hard, dried rubber) grommet, then the Regulator popped out pretty easily. Would be almost impossible to remove from an intact tank, although theoretically possible. Didn't want to break it, as no longer available.

New one on order from Tasca Parts, my Ford dealer would only sell me 5......
    [email protected]
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    289 USRRC Build started January 2018
    Driven on track in FFR by Bob Bondurant himself in 2005, Phoeniz, AZ
    Build School May 2011 (Strongly recommended)