Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 3 Hour Race This Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

3 Hour Race This Weekend

We did well this weekend.

We live streamed the race, although when we had the flat tire at around lap 15 the feed shut off. We were not able to restart the phone in the car until almost the end of the race when there was a lengthy yellow, but I did take regular video as well.

Exciting race as we battled back and forth with the Porsche for a couple of hours. We were leading them on the track when they broke a gearbox. Here's the link to the saved raw live stream videos...

https://youtu.be/1yojNIVfckg

The action starts at about 20 minutes in.
    Last edited by crash; 06-25-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

2. Likes Jazzman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fun to watch. Was that you driving? I was impressed by some of the holes you dove through to pass! But I haven't done wheel-to-wheel driving so maybe that's it...
    What were those LMP-2 type cars that you were passing easily?
    Did you guys end up on the podium?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Man that car and driver are FAST!

Thanks for sharing crash!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That was Carl Rydquist driving this time. He is the fastest of our group of four drivers that we currently are running for the 25 hour race at the end of the year. Utah in two months 3 of the 4 drivers will run the car to get some needed practice/seat time before the 25.

We came in 1st in class, 1st overall, and had the fastest race lap at a 1:49.037 on clockwise track #13.

The prototype cars were in two different classes. One of them was in our class and could do more stuff to the engine under our class rules. The other ones were running in a spec class that they were built for which is classified as NP01 for NASA Prototype Number One. They are decently fast, but only have a Mazda 4 cylinder in them. Their biggest downfall is that they are a bit fragile. I believe they kept them light weight because of the designed HP of the engines, but it does make them fragile. The one that we were directly racing against broke before half the race was complete after he hit a curb and broke a shock rocker.

In contrast, our GTM takes a beating and keeps on ticking!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

6. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that is 11 kinds of cool all in one place!! Your driver really gave a thrashing to that Porsche. He really threw that GTM through some small holes to pass. I have great respect for your driver! Good luck on the 25 hour race. I hope you will post more movies! (Perhaps not all 25 hours, though!! )
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

8. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The driver was doing a great job - didn't watch every moment.

I was a little surprised at the closure / passing speeds - thought the general (old school) rule was "if you get lapped in less than 4 laps you're black flagged - too slow".

Not that the Miata's were doing a poor job - just questioning what the current thinking on that is.

And the track did not seem to be too crowded - a favorable factor to consider.

But I always found it nerve wracking if I was overtaking people (or getting overtaken) "way too fast" - lots of ways for that to go really bad, real quick...
    Last edited by mike223; 06-25-2018 at 09:48 PM. Reason: (or getting overtaken)

Post Thanks / Like
    Many more races with the GTM can be seen by searching "myraceshop" on youtube.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    They are decently fast, but only have a Mazda 4 cylinder in them. Their biggest downfall is that they are a bit fragile. I believe they kept them light weight because of the designed HP of the engines, but it does make them fragile. The one that we were directly racing against broke before half the race was complete after he hit a curb and broke a shock rocker.

In contrast, our GTM takes a beating and keeps on ticking!
    Following Rule #1:

"To finish first, first you must finish." Carroll Smith

Great job on racing and winning.

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    The driver was doing a great job - didn't watch every moment.

I was a little surprised at the closure / passing speeds - thought the general (old school) rule was "if you get lapped in less than 4 laps you're black flagged - too slow".

Not that the Miata's were doing a poor job - just questioning what the current thinking on that is.

And the track did not seem to be too crowded - a favorable factor to consider.

But I always found it nerve wracking if I was overtaking people (or getting overtaken) "way too fast" - lots of ways for that to go really bad, real quick...
    This is what makes racing the 25 Hours of Thunderhill so challenging. Arguably it is more challenging than Daytona or Le Mans as there is no track lighting, there are huge disparities in speeds, and the drivers at the 25, well most of them are very much amateur racers.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts