Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lower Control Arm Bushings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lower Control Arm Bushings

So, how have people handled the lower control arm rear bushings? I believe they're supposed to be torqued down at ride height so that there isn't any preload on the bushing but there's absolutely no space behind the driver's side bolt even with the dent in the panel. There's no way to get a torque wrench on either of them. Have most people just gotten them close enough and called it a day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some just torque them by hand with a wrench and some have cut a hole in the firewall to attach a torque wrench and then sealed the hole with a rubber grommet/plug.

Post Thanks / Like
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a hole, too, but I saved all the grommets from my donor and cut a hole to match one of them. Saved me $1.60

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great, for $1.60 I think it's worth cutting a hole to torque them correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Great, for $1.60 I think it's worth cutting a hole to torque them correctly.
    Until you change to a high caster bushing then the hole is in the wrong spot..... ask me how I know
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    how much does the location change? can one just go to a much larger hole (relocated between the two positions) and cover both scenarios?

Post Thanks / Like
    On my driver side I drilled the hole spot on. Not so much on the passenger side . So I'll be making lemonade out of lemons by making an access panel, similar to what the roadster guys do for their fuel tank and master cylinder access.
    Attached Images Attached Images