Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build Thread

After 15 months of discovery, lurking, and research, on June 15, I “put it in gear, let out the clutch” and ordered my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe!

I’ve used the much appreciated FFR 2018 Summer Sale and look forward to my kit’s Factory Completion Date of August 11 and delivery around the end of August here in Scottsdale, AZ.

My first real exposure to a car “similar” to a Type 65 Coupe, was at the 1983 Monterey Historic Races, where I got to see up close and in person, a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. It must have been one of the authentic original six coupes since back then I don’t think that there were any replicas, nor would a replica be entered into those prestigious vintage races. I took a few photos and will soon post those.

This will be my first Factory Five kit car or kit car of any source. However, I’m not actually a rookie, having been, involved as a racing crew member, fabricator and designer back in the mid-1970s when I was in my 20s, a long time ago. For five years that was my passion and hobby after my full time engineering job at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. The team was Warren Agor Racing which raced Camaros and AAGT Monza GTs in the Trans-Am and IMSA GT Series and in my first year with the team, a McLaren M8F and an M8B in the Can-Am Series. Watkins Glen was our home track. All of these were quite awesome race cars, competing in incredible racing series and for me to experience, be a part of and on the inside, was life rewarding.

No FFR content, but for background reference, I’ll soon post a single collage photo of the Warren Agor Racing team and its cars.

The last car the team and I help build and race was a 1977 AAGT Chevy Monza GT. Think Dekon Monza with full tube chassis, mostly fiberglass body and Chevy 350 power, but it was our own design and construction….Built Not Bought !!! After its last race, the owner/driver, Warren Agor, kept the car in his Rochester, N.Y. business and never raced it nor even showed it again. That was until 2006 when he and a few former crew members decided to restore it and go vintage racing. That they did. With me then living in (Silicon Valley) California, I wasn’t able to be part of the restoration, but did take in a few of their vintage races, including the 2015 Watkins Glen SVRA G.P. Festival and again in 2016 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Tran-Am Series and Can-Am series. Following from afar, the restoration of the Monza, wet my appetite for building and working on such cars again, but now to own one myself. Then one former crew member, Ed Sullivan, purchased a FFR 818 Coupe kit and I followed him building that, again from afar (NY – CA). It was recently completed and is currently in the NY State registration process.
    When the FFR Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe debuted at SEMA 2016, I became aware of it and I started to read up on its design and then follow on the FFR Forum some of the early owner/builder threads during 2017, continuing right up to the present. I realized it’s design was very familiar and similar to the 1977 Agor Monza, which I had the most involvement in and liked the best. Though one was a pure and only a race car, the other a streetable “race car” with some comforts and street finishing touches. I soon got hooked to build my own FFR Type 65 Coupe.

Back to my recent Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Order. I did the actual FFR online purchase Saturday, June 16 in my own special, appropriate and memorable way with the 2018 running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans LIVE on Velocity TV in the background. Since “an Original” won the 24 Hours of Le Mans GT Class in 1965 this was all so surreal to me.

So now I’m preparing the garage work shop, 2 bays of a 3-car garage and obtaining the tools I’ll need, as my build plans.

My car design and build plan is for what I’ll call a “Custom Modernized Replica”, Not Period Correct, which is difficult now giving the new, totally different chassis, usual larger wheels and brakes and the lure of using some modern technology and mechanical things we have now. I do have in mind many of the design and parts choices gleaned from many of the FFR Forum Build Gurus, plus a few totally unique design elements of my own, which I’ll reveal down the road to everyone in my Build Thread. This posting is its location and this entry starts my Build Thread.

I don’t expect my Build Thread to be a long or full documentation, but hopefully it’ll be interesting and helpful to others. I’ll leave full Build documentations to some of the ambitious, and so incredibly talented experts and repeat FFR car builders on the Forum, of which there are already a number, and whom I thank so much for their contributions, resources and encouragement they have provided, of particular note Jazzman and edwardb.

And so my journey has taken that next step, purchase made, the Build soon begins.

Bob Brandle

HERE’S THE CURRENT DETAILS OF MY BUILD AND CAR:

It will be 5.0L Coyote V8 powered “Custom Modernized Replica” cruising-performance street car but not a daily driver, with just a small amount of light track driver’s schools and/or track day driving and some local car shows and “cars & coffee” appearances.

SPECIFICS OF MY ORDER SHEET:

Gen 3 Complete Coupe Kit
    Gloss Black Powdercoated Chassis
    Body Cut-Outs
    Coupe Aero Vents/Nose Scoops
    Windshield Wipers (Required in AZ, even though I don’t intend to drive in the rain)
    Coyote Installation Kit
    31 Spline 2015 IRS 9.75 Driveshaft
    Ford Style EFI Harness
    Coyote Power Steering w/Complete Kit
    Coyote Gen 3 A/C Heater Kit (added Coolness “Required” here in AZ)
    FFR Front Lower Control Arms – Standard Width
    Roadster Front Swaybar Components
    2015 IRS Swaybar Components
    2015 IRS Center Section and Spindles
    2015 Mustang IRS Kit
    EFI In-Tank Fuel System
    18x9/11” 5-Lug Halibrand Replica Wheels
    2015 IRS 13” Brake Kit (may change order to Wilwood brakes before kit is completed and shipped or after, TBD)
    Coupe Autometer Ultra-Lite 6 Gage Set
    Delete Seats
    Delete Steering Wheel
    Delete Headers
    Delete Dual J-Sidepipes

TO BE ORDERD SHORTLY FROM FFR:

Coyote 5.0L Gen 2 Engine + T56 Magnum 6-speec Transmission Assembly by FFR

NON-FFR SUPPLIED:

Steering Wheel – Momo Eagle
    Seats – Corbeau Sportline Evolution X with Lumbar Support and Red Stitching
    Exhaust – Custom System Comprising Single Large Dia. Sidepipes per side of car (Roadster like) - Coyote Shorty Headers + Pypes Mini-Cat + Flowmaster 30” Slimline Sidepipe Mufflers. Polished and Clear Ceramic Coated. This custom design is triple purposed: single sidepipe look, reduced outside temperature of sidepipe (snakebite reduction) and reduced exhaust loudness.
    Tires – Likely BFG G-Force Rival - Fronts TBD (either P245 or P275) with Rears P315 on 18 inch Rims
    Breeze Radiator Shrouding
    Boig Motorsports Upper and Lower Gen 3 Coupe Coyote Radiator Hoses
    “J65 Mustang forum member” Gen 3 Coupe Custom Alum. Triangular Tanks for Radiator Overflow/Degas and Power Steering Fluid, Polished and Clear Anodized. Hopefully these can be bought.
    Scott’s Hotrods CNC Triple Remote Reservoirs for Brake (2) and Clutch Fluids, Polished and Clear Anodized
    Spectre Performance Coyote Polished Aluminum Air Intake Piping with Custom Cold Air Box/Air Source
    Coyote 5.0 Engine Covers with Custom Accent Painting, Design TBD
    Custom Hood Hot Air Vents above the Headers
    Heat & Sound Shielding – Mixture of materials for different purposes and locations: Dynamat, DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields, where possible metal plate heat shields on engine/exhaust facing sides of foot boxes, Lizard Skin in select places, etc.
    Custom Dash & Interior Designs, Styling & Finishing, but whose isn’t – Specifics TBD
    Russ Thompson Cobra Coupe Steering Wheel Column Mounted Turn Signal Switch
    Interior Carpet – Yes, but alternative upgraded supplier selection
    Custom Dash “Glovebox”
    Digital Guard Dawg PBS-1 Keyless Pushbutton Engine Starting System
    Outside Rear View Mirrors – BRE Daytona Coupe Rear View Mirrors, w/body colored housing, black stalk
    LED Lighting Throughout
    Custom Trunkbox Storage Compartment behind the seats
    Body Paint – Leaning toward a light metallic blue; “Antigua Blue” or FFR Vintage Racing Blue overall with Dual “White” Stripes & “White” Kahm-Back Left Rear Body Half (Color TBD – Vintage/Wimbeldon or White Lightening or Diamond White?) No historic racing decals on body, but will have Powered By Ford Performance/5.0 L Coyote Badging
    TBD Surprises likely in store for areas of: Side Windows, Taillights, Rear License Plate Fitment and Lower Nose Area
    Last edited by Bob Brandle; 09-13-2018 at 12:10 PM.

2. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Placeholder Index
    Last edited by Bob Brandle; 06-26-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the neighborhood, and the insanity! I am eager to watch your build and learn how the Coupe differs from the Roadster.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    1983 Monterey Historic Races my meeting the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe, I think this may be the 1964 Le Mans 24 Hours GT Class Winner, driven by Dan Gurney and Bob Bondurant

Last edited by Bob Brandle; 06-27-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My racing world back in the mid 1970s, Warren Agor Racing Team

Excuse the non-FFR content, but it's part of my relevant past.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to following your build, Bob! Welcome to the coupe crazies!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the order, I will be following your build for sure. I was sitting there watching Le Mans that Saturday as well. What a great time to order. I kept bugging my wife to come see the old footage whenever they showed the Coupe.

Pretty cool that you got to see one of the originals race in person. Seeing one run against other cars from the period would be pretty special and I doubt I will ever get to see it with how valuable they are now. I think a 250 GTO just sold for around $70 million.

My Coupe kit got to me yesterday and my build will be pretty similar to yours, so feel free to copy my work. Please just point out all the boneheaded things I did in exchange. My official build thread will be posted in the next few days and I will probably do some YouTube videos for key elements of the build. If you want any specific pictures or anything from me, please just reach out, I would be happy to help. I don't have your experience building and maintaining race cars though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clover,
    Thanks for the congratulations and comments.
    Wow, Great that your kit arrived this week!!! Now you can put your build into 2nd gear. I'll be looking forward to your build & thread.
    I've read a few FFR kit owners/builders commenting that were no more than oil and tire changers before they ordered their kit and built their cars, and were successful.

I've done a bit of further research on that Daytona Coupe that I'm standing next to in 1983 and while the event program didn't list any history or S/N, I'm now pretty sure it's the actual 1964 Le Mans GT Class winner!!! as driven by Dan Gurney and Bob Bondurant!
    Google Image Search some period photos of the Daytona Coupes running in the 1964 Le Mans and this #5 looks just like the #5 in that race, particularly the unique dual stripes. Of course that car raced for another 1-1/2 seasons, so there were certainly modifications to it, etc. And in 1983, while there were some early Roadster replicas (Arntz, etc.), I don't think there were any Cobra Daytona Coupe replicas.
    A year ago I visited the Cobra Experience museum in Martinez, Calif. and there on display was a just finished new Mike McClusky built Cobra Daytona Coupe Continuation car of the #5 Le Mans 24 Hours 1964 GT Class winner. Mike McClusky is an exquisite Cobra builder in SoCal. There was documentation and that car looked remarkably similar to the one I was with in 1983. FYI, the GORGEOUS McClusky Daytona Coupe had one area of it's build that wasn't likely period correct, the side windows including the sliders, A-pillar wind deflector and rear side window air scoop were all auto glass. That air scoop was even molded glass! I should really post a few photos I took of it.

Good luck starting your build!!!

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Brandle; 06-27-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bob! Welcome to the madness! Excited to watch another build! Feel free to ALSO point out my boneheaded mistakes or give feedback and suggestions! Go easy on the transport company... they are currently promising a bit better than they can deliver, but are doing their best. Search threads for more info on that, but a fair heads up don't expect a "timely arrival" unless their personel changes are handled. Otherwise, the entire process is SMOOTH!

GOD Speed!

-Brian
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Brian.
    We'll be taking and soon comparing notes.
    See your location is North Bay, CA. I just moved in March from Fremont, CA to Scottsdale, AZ. I use to attend races and events and have driven the courses of Sonoma/Sears Point Raceway, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill. I'll miss those being so close by.
    Have you visited the Cobra Experience in Martinez? It's quite worth while, but check to see when it's open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and good luck on the build Bob. I'll will read with interest....

Question: the color of the coupe in your photos, are they what you remember from '83? Given the passage of time, both photos and memory might have faded, I know mine does at times. Photo quality isn't bad, were this on slides?

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the Congrats.
    Those posted images from the 1983 Monterey Historic Races were actually from scanned 4x6 or 3-1/2x5 prints that I performed a few years ago. The prints were in quite good shape given the 35 years passage of time. Originally they were 35mm film negative photo images of mine. I did perform a bit of slight Photoshop tweeking of the scanned images to reduce the shadows on the cars and bring out more detail. I tried to keep the colors true to what I remember them. The #5 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe in 83 was not in the best of condition, not in over-restored show condition many such cars are brought up to today.

Here's a 3rd photo taken at the same time and here the Daytona looks darker, almost Guardsman Blue, but slightly lighter than the GT40 next to it.

Bob

14. Thanks DetactGarageMech thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I wait for my order Coupe to arrive, I'll keep on the temporary brief trend of displaying some influential to me Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupes. Of course even more influential and important are the FFR Type 65 Coupes throughout this Forum already built or being build.
    In Spring of 2017 , I visited the Cobra Experience in Martinez, CA (SF Bay Area). And found on display this just completed newly build replica of (the above?) #5 Gurney/Bondurant 1964 Le Mans GT Class Winner.
    As the display sign indicates, this is a Mike McClusky build replica, build to the nth degree of craftsmanship and quality. Note the all glass side windows, wind deflector and air scoop, not period correct, but gorgeous.
    Something to shoot for in my build???!!..Not really, this is way over my head, but is an inspiration.

ENJOY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Just FYI, I took delivery of my Gen 3 Coupe this past April. We’re moving along pretty quickly with the build thanks to my good friend Chuck, a retired Boeing aeronautical engineer and builder of two previous Factory Fives. My Dart SBF 427 arrives in another couple of weeks so we’re still a ways from go carting. But you’re welcome to come visit any weekend in Clarkdale. Always happy to have help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick,
    Great that you're 5 months into your Gen 3 Coupe! I know where Clarksville, AZ is having been to Sedona a few times, etc. Sure a visit to check out your car sounds great, especially when you install the engine.
    After a few missed production completions (original target was Aug-11) or Stewart pickups, supposedly my Gen 3 Coupe is now on it's way and should be delivered mid this coming week!!!
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, looks like a great plan. Look carefully at edwardb 20th annaversery roadster with 245/18 and his 65 coupe with 275/18 on the front. Tire model is as important as size as they can have different widths. I like the way the 275s fit on the rim on edwardb 65 coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimtmich, Yes, I'm following EdwardB's Gen3 Coupe build very closely, have researched his other MKIV builds. I'll be building my Coupe very much like his, but with a Gen 2 Coyote, using his much appreciated wisdom and build recommendations, plus some of my own custom modification surprises. Yes, I'll be using the same wheels and tires as Paul/EdwardB. Looks like my Coupe will be delivered this Monday or Tuesday!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Grief! Isn't Stewart here yet? I expected to see notices all last week that the kit would be arriving. I'm sure you are chomping at the bit! Good luck with the patience!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ready for arrival of my Type 65 Coupe, Now scheduled for this Wednesday, 9/12. "Waiting for Big Brother"

22. Likes P100DHG, 65 Cobra Dude, maclonchas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely hilarious I love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG that is so Cool!!!! lololol Great Pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Big Brother Has Arrived, on Sept-12, my FFR Type 65 Coupe was Delivered.

A big thanks to Scott of Steward Transport for making the unloading process a joy, Kevin Beamon for his own FFR expertise and encouragement, my buddy Tony Mezzacca for the decades of co-enjoyed sports/GT and formula car racing enthusiasm and for my wife and daughters for their understanding and support of my desire to undertake this project and enjoy the rides to come. Finally, thanks of course to the whole Factory Five Racing Team, who have developed and offered this exciting car to be built.

Wow, it almost sounds like I just graduated my FFR car, but, no this is just the start! Guess I’m having fun already.

Here was today’s delivery.

Bob

26. Likes Clover liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bob, what a wonderful day. I hope you have some time in your calendar booked off to get started on the inventory. Keep the posts coming.
    Gen III Type 65 Coupe Delivered 6/26/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    An exciting day and the fun begins. What number is yours?
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Clover, Thanks!! Such a rush to have it now in my garage. Yes, part examinations and inventory starts today.

Dave, My Gen 3 Coupe is # 115. LOL, I just missed out on 113, which actually would have been my preferred # since it contained #13, the number that was used on the race cars I was associated with. See top of this thread. Nice meeting you at Huntington Beach.

FYI, my Engine + Transmission combo is to be delivered today by Stewart. There must have been a logistic miss and they didn't deliver it with the car yesterday. I've bought from FFA, the Ford Gen 2 Coyote 5.0L Engine and a Tremec T56 Magnum 6-Speed mated together combination. I decided to go the easy and hopefully more reliable route with this combo preassembled. Additionally, I actually prefer going with the known, tried and true Gen 2 Coyote and while its crate engine supply lasts. Don't really need it for 3 to 6 months, but by then the supply might be gone.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your Coupe delivery! It's a fun project. Have a good time with inventory and I'll be anxious to watch your progress.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul!! Much of my build will look like dejavu to you since you're such a great builder with plenty of examples to follow. I do intend to have a few of my own wrinkles and custom design aspects though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Bob, I am going through and trying to determine all the specs for my build right now. I to am leaning toward the Coyote package from factory five. I did get a call from my local Ford dealer. I know the service manager very well and he was trying to talk me into a new 5.4 supercharged GT500 crate motor apparently it’s an engine that they are willing to sell to me at a deep discount as much as I wanted too, I passed do to not want to get to far off the FFR path and over complicate this build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Bob!!!! Looking forward to seeing updates!

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    fvanhook,
    It's great that you're planning your car's specs and sounds like are near to placing an order.

I purchased my crate engine and transmission from Factory Five, FFA actually is their engine assembly operation. I bought the Combo Package, Gen 2 Coyote 5.0L engine mated with a Tremec T56 Magnum 6-Speed, delivered on a nice wheeled engine frame dolly and with the lifting chains in place. It was delivered with the Type 65 Coupe Complete Kit. So far so good.

FFA even installed, as part of the package, the shallower but greater capacity Moroso oil pan and conveniently removed the oil filter cooling block, that must be removed to fit in the Type 65 chassis.

Some of the reasons I bought the engine so early is that I prefer to stick with the tried and true Gen 2 coyote engine and not be an early adopter of the Gen 3 engine. I believe that the 5.4 supercharged GT500 crate engine that you mentioned would be a Gen 3 Coyote. See Edwardb's Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe build thread for his efforts to install a Gen 3 Coyote engine. As far as the horsepower that this GT500 engine would produce and the effect in a light weight Type 65 Coupe are hard to imagine other than WILD. Some desire that super high level of HP and can possible handle that, many others not. It all depends on your end desires and uses for the car, the build challenges you're looking for and your capabilities to build something close to FFR stock or way out of the box.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.
    Got my inventory done and starting to disassemble the car as delivered before starting the real assembly work.
    Bob

289 FIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost a year......what happened ??????

Post Thanks / Like
    August-30-2019 UPDATE: Bob’s Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build Thread

It’s been way too long since I gave an update on my build and I apologize to everyone for not doing so.

Actually I’ve never given an update other than documenting my order and then the delivery in mid-September 2018 of the Type 65/Daytona Coupe Full Kit up on jack stands in my garage.
    I didn’t intend to be in a “stealth build mode”, but really didn’t want to just post the same old build posts of step by step assembly. So when to begin? It all got away from me.

Incredibly, it’s already coming up on a full year now, but with travels and a number of new house “fix or modify it” jobs slowing me down, I’ve been working on the build more like nine or ten months and at my own careful rate.

I’ve got to say up front that I’ve been following the Gen 3 Coupe build of EdwardB/Paul Borror and have followed much of what he’s done, including many of his customization and upgrade choices. So much of my build can essentially be “viewed” on EdwardB’s Gen 3 Coupe forum build. Many thanks and appreciation to Paul, what a fabulous resource you are!!
    So far, the key differences between EdwardB’s build and mine are the engine, with Gen 2 Coyote crate engine for my car versus Gen 3 for EdwardB. Standard Mustang GT brakes for my car versus Wilwood for EdwardB.
    We’ve both got the Tremec T56 Magnum 6-Speed, Mustang IRS, Corbeau Evolution X seats (actually I was on to these even before Paul mentioned themon his build thread, but thank you Paul for proving that they fit), Factory Five 18”Halibrand Replica wheels with the BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S tires.

I’ve already bought Boig Quiet Pipes (headers & pipes) for the Gen 3 Coupe and will have them Cerakote Glacier Silver (“Alum. Mirror look”) ceramic coated.

I’m now reaching the build stages where some of my own unique customizations are getting underway for my Repli-Mod build. Repli-Mod versus a Resto-Mod because there is nothing being restored on the build, it’s more a modernized replica. To an extent, what might Shelby/Brock done in the 80s or 90s (besides that which was actually done via Superformance and Brock Coupe Daytona Coupes).
    The custom dash and interior have been started. I plan on reshaped door and rear-quarter window openings and with fixed auto window glass in both (for the A/C needed in Arizona), small front splitter, small rear diffuser, centralized recessed rear license plate, different tail lights but maintaining Daytona Coupe heritage of dual stacked round tail lights.

The current status of the build is: entire suspension and brakes with lines and footbox systems installed, fuel system installed, sheet metal fitted, customized and drilled. Many other sub-assemblies have been built, parts ordered, received and await their fitting.
    The sheet metal is currently out for powder coating.

Getting to know the wiring harnesses and their layout and then the initial installation of the Coyote seem to be next.

I just posted on my photo album “Bob’s Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build – 1” a total of Eighty Six (86) mostly sequential photos of my build during this past 11 months:

“Bob’s Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build – 1”
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=1376

I’ll make Build Thread commentary and post the photos in the near term, but if you want to go and look at the photos now, go right ahead.

Bob

38. Likes GashF16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, these are great photos. Thanks for sharing them. I'm looking forward to seeing everything in person when I come over tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking time out of your day to show me and Brock your car. Your workmanship and attention to detail are really impressive. And thanks for letting us try out your seats!

IMG_7311.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My Pleasure !!!! It was great to see your enthusiasm!!
    Last edited by Bob Brandle; 08-31-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, you've made some great progress. And thanks for the shout out. Glad my build thread has been helpful. Looked at your pictures and did notice something though. On your front UCA's, the zerks on the pivots should be pointed up and the offset to the top not the bottom. Check this picture below from the build manual showing the proper orientation. This is a somewhat common mistake. Fortunately you have the ball joints installed properly. Guys often get that part upside down too, and the ball joint pointing in instead of out. You wan't have to take too much apart to fix. With the nuts off the ends of the cross shafts, you should be able to remove the pivot bolts and flip the pivots over. Or you could unbolt the cross shaft from the frame and flip it over.

Last edited by edwardb; 09-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

43. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,
    Thanks for checking out my build thread post and the photo collection. A special Thanks for seeing that Front UCA issue. You're so valuable on this forum. I've made the corrections today and decided to install new 7/16-20 Pivot Bolts and Nyloc Nuts. The hex corners were chewed up and it's always good to go with new threads and Nyloc.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dash looks great. Those angled gauges are really an eyecatcher! You have made strong progress even since the last time I saw it. Good job!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Forum Build Thread Update 4 Sept-2-2019 - 1
    Recapping my build from Fall of 2018, here’s a few photos of my just delivered in mid September , Gen 3 Coupe from FFR and from FF-AT the Gen 2 Coyote 5.0 + Tremec T56 Magnum 6-speed package, ready to start the build.

Soon after the Inventory, I pulled most of the fabricated steel parts, deburred, cleaned them up and had them locally powder coat painted a satin black that closely matched the chassis’ satin black.
    A good job for a build buddy, (that’s you Brock, soon after your Coupe arrives). Just keep things organized (maybe with P/Ns on paper and photographed), because your likely not too familiar with the parts, only later you will be.

Parts for front shocks & springs grouped

Some of the parts for the Ford Mustang IRS. Note that I painted the bearing carrier/knuckles and bearing hub POR15 gloss black. That black painting theme would continue on various chassis and suspension parts. I have combined use of sating black powder coating, POR 15 gloss black, brake caliper gloss black paint and Eastwood Extreme chassis satin black paints.

47. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast