Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build Thread

After 15 months of discovery, lurking, and research, on June 15, I “put it in gear, let out the clutch” and ordered my Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe!

I’ve used the much appreciated FFR 2018 Summer Sale and look forward to my kit’s Factory Completion Date of August 11 and delivery around the end of August here in Scottsdale, AZ.

My first real exposure to a car “similar” to a Type 65 Coupe, was at the 1983 Monterey Historic Races, where I got to see up close and in person, a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe. It must have been one of the authentic original six coupes since back then I don’t think that there were any replicas, nor would a replica be entered into those prestigious vintage races. I took a few photos and will soon post those.

This will be my first Factory Five kit car or kit car of any source. However, I’m not actually a rookie, having been, involved as a racing crew member, fabricator and designer back in the mid-1970s when I was in my 20s, a long time ago. For five years that was my passion and hobby after my full time engineering job at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, NY. The team was Warren Agor Racing which raced Camaros and AAGT Monza GTs in the Trans-Am and IMSA GT Series and in my first year with the team, a McLaren M8F and an M8B in the Can-Am Series. Watkins Glen was our home track. All of these were quite awesome race cars, competing in incredible racing series and for me to experience, be a part of and on the inside, was life rewarding.

No FFR content, but for background reference, I’ll soon post a single collage photo of the Warren Agor Racing team and its cars.

The last car the team and I help build and race was a 1977 AAGT Chevy Monza GT. Think Dekon Monza with full tube chassis, mostly fiberglass body and Chevy 350 power, but it was our own design and construction….Built Not Bought !!! After its last race, the owner/driver, Warren Agor, kept the car in his Rochester, N.Y. business and never raced it nor even showed it again. That was until 2006 when he and a few former crew members decided to restore it and go vintage racing. That they did. With me then living in (Silicon Valley) California, I wasn’t able to be part of the restoration, but did take in a few of their vintage races, including the 2015 Watkins Glen SVRA G.P. Festival and again in 2016 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Tran-Am Series and Can-Am series. Following from afar, the restoration of the Monza, wet my appetite for building and working on such cars again, but now to own one myself. Then one former crew member, Ed Sullivan, purchased a FFR 818 Coupe kit and I followed him building that, again from afar (NY – CA). It was recently completed and is currently in the NY State registration process.
    When the FFR Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe debuted at SEMA 2016, I became aware of it and I started to read up on its design and then follow on the FFR Forum some of the early owner/builder threads during 2017, continuing right up to the present. I realized it’s design was very familiar and similar to the 1977 Agor Monza, which I had the most involvement in and liked the best. Though one was a pure and only a race car, the other a streetable “race car” with some comforts and street finishing touches. I soon got hooked to build my own FFR Type 65 Coupe.

Back to my recent Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe Order. I did the actual FFR online purchase Saturday, June 16 in my own special, appropriate and memorable way with the 2018 running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans LIVE on Velocity TV in the background. Since “an Original” won the 24 Hours of Le Mans GT Class in 1965 this was all so surreal to me.

So now I’m preparing the garage work shop, 2 bays of a 3-car garage and obtaining the tools I’ll need, as my build plans.

My car design and build plan is for what I’ll call a “Custom Modernized Replica”, Not Period Correct, which is difficult now giving the new, totally different chassis, usual larger wheels and brakes and the lure of using some modern technology and mechanical things we have now. I do have in mind many of the design and parts choices gleaned from many of the FFR Forum Build Gurus, plus a few totally unique design elements of my own, which I’ll reveal down the road to everyone in my Build Thread. This posting is its location and this entry starts my Build Thread.

I don’t expect my Build Thread to be a long or full documentation, but hopefully it’ll be interesting and helpful to others. I’ll leave full Build documentations to some of the ambitious, and so incredibly talented experts and repeat FFR car builders on the Forum, of which there are already a number, and whom I thank so much for their contributions, resources and encouragement they have provided, of particular note Jazzman and edwardb.

And so my journey has taken that next step, purchase made, the Build soon begins.

Bob Brandle

HERE’S THE CURRENT DETAILS OF MY BUILD AND CAR:

It will be 5.0L Coyote V8 powered “Custom Modernized Replica” cruising-performance street car but not a daily driver, with just a small amount of light track driver’s schools and/or track day driving and some local car shows and “cars & coffee” appearances.

SPECIFICS OF MY ORDER SHEET:

Gen 3 Complete Coupe Kit
    Gloss Black Powdercoated Chassis
    Body Cut-Outs
    Coupe Aero Vents/Nose Scoops
    Windshield Wipers (Required in AZ, even though I don’t intend to drive in the rain)
    Coyote Installation Kit
    31 Spline 2015 IRS 9.75 Driveshaft
    Ford Style EFI Harness
    Coyote Power Steering w/Complete Kit
    Coyote Gen 3 A/C Heater Kit (added Coolness “Required” here in AZ)
    FFR Front Lower Control Arms – Standard Width
    Roadster Front Swaybar Components
    2015 IRS Swaybar Components
    2015 IRS Center Section and Spindles
    2015 Mustang IRS Kit
    EFI In-Tank Fuel System
    18x9/11” 5-Lug Halibrand Replica Wheels
    2015 IRS 13” Brake Kit (may change order to Wilwood brakes before kit is completed and shipped or after, TBD)
    Coupe Autometer Ultra-Lite 6 Gage Set
    Delete Seats
    Delete Steering Wheel
    Delete Headers
    Delete Dual J-Sidepipes

TO BE ORDERD SHORTLY FROM FFR:

Coyote 5.0L Gen 2 Engine + T56 Magnum 6-speec Transmission Assembly by FFR

NON-FFR SUPPLIED:

Steering Wheel – Momo Eagle
    Seats – Corbeau Sportline Evolution X with Lumbar Support and Red Stitching
    Exhaust – Custom System Comprising Single Large Dia. Sidepipes per side of car (Roadster like) - Coyote Shorty Headers + Pypes Mini-Cat + Flowmaster 30” Slimline Sidepipe Mufflers. Polished and Clear Ceramic Coated. This custom design is triple purposed: single sidepipe look, reduced outside temperature of sidepipe (snakebite reduction) and reduced exhaust loudness.
    Tires – Likely BFG G-Force Rival - Fronts TBD (either P245 or P275) with Rears P315 on 18 inch Rims
    Breeze Radiator Shrouding
    Boig Motorsports Upper and Lower Gen 3 Coupe Coyote Radiator Hoses
    “J65 Mustang forum member” Gen 3 Coupe Custom Alum. Triangular Tanks for Radiator Overflow/Degas and Power Steering Fluid, Polished and Clear Anodized. Hopefully these can be bought.
    Scott’s Hotrods CNC Triple Remote Reservoirs for Brake (2) and Clutch Fluids, Polished and Clear Anodized
    Spectre Performance Coyote Polished Aluminum Air Intake Piping with Custom Cold Air Box/Air Source
    Coyote 5.0 Engine Covers with Custom Accent Painting, Design TBD
    Custom Hood Hot Air Vents above the Headers
    Heat & Sound Shielding – Mixture of materials for different purposes and locations: Dynamat, DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields, where possible metal plate heat shields on engine/exhaust facing sides of foot boxes, Lizard Skin in select places, etc.
    Custom Dash & Interior Designs, Styling & Finishing, but whose isn’t – Specifics TBD
    Russ Thompson Cobra Coupe Steering Wheel Column Mounted Turn Signal Switch
    Interior Carpet – Yes, but alternative upgraded supplier selection
    Custom Dash “Glovebox”
    Digital Guard Dawg PBS-1 Keyless Pushbutton Engine Starting System
    Outside Rear View Mirrors – BRE Daytona Coupe Rear View Mirrors, w/body colored housing, black stalk
    LED Lighting Throughout
    Custom Trunkbox Storage Compartment behind the seats
    Body Paint – Leaning toward a light metallic blue; “Antigua Blue” or FFR Vintage Racing Blue overall with Dual “White” Stripes & “White” Kahm-Back Left Rear Body Half (Color TBD – Vintage/Wimbeldon or White Lightening or Diamond White?) No historic racing decals on body, but will have Powered By Ford Performance/5.0 L Coyote Badging
    TBD Surprises likely in store for areas of: Side Windows, Taillights, Rear License Plate Fitment and Lower Nose Area
    Last edited by Bob Brandle; 09-13-2018 at 12:10 PM.

2. Thanks GashF16 thanked for this post