Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NISMO_RB25 Texas 818S Build

Post Thanks / Like

NISMO_RB25 Texas 818S Build

Hi Everyone,

I decided it was time to finally start posting the progress on my build. I have my first child due on Thanksgiving, so my progress may be a bit slow over the next 6 weeks. I am on a sabbatical from work until early January, so as long as I can sneak out of the house every once in a while the updates will continue. Building a kit car has been a dream of mine for a long time, but I wanted something with a turbo and not a replica. The 818S is exactly the kind of build I was looking for and like many of you I put my deposit down a year ago and then started looking for a donor.

Before we get to the build here is a quick shot of my daily driver and the truck I use to get parts and take out the trash. My addiction to boost isn't limited to any one manufacturer although I will admit the Skyline was my dream car and I got it for a great price. it is one of the federally legal ones.
    GTR&Syclone.jpg

The donor was a 2006 WRX Wagon with 119K miles. Most fun negotiation ever when I explained that I was going to tear the entire car apart and I could careless that the body and interior were near perfect. I drove it for several months until the water pump went out. Once I got it apart I found it had a brand new timing belt and pulleys, but they had failed to replace the pump at that time. I will never understand why anyone would do a timing belt and not replace the pump while you are there.

wrx before.jpg

Why everyone needs a truck.
    halling parts.jpg

Reason 428 to own an old backhoe. Apparently the hay fork can also be used to lift a stripped out wrx to put it on a trailer. That cowboy hat is my father as we both laughed that once again the backhoe was the solution.

Donor vs backhoe.jpg
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 11-25-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here was the kit on arrival. It went into storage for about a month while I finished getting the WRX stripped down so I could fit it into the garage.

Arrival1.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took all the body panels off an put them in storage as they were guaranteed to get damaged in my garage.
    frame.jpg

One of the best recommendations I got was to either build or invest in a frame dolly. This one has worked out great allowing me to move the kit car out of the garage and pull in another car when I am done for the day. The other nice thing is the kit is perfect working height if you are sitting on a small rolling automotive stool.

cardolly.jpg

And reason 429 to own a backhoe was that with some straps you can lift an 818 frame onto a car dolly without having 4 people. BTW as tempting as it seems three people was just not enough to get it on the dolly. Unless you and your friends are body builders get one more friend or a backhoe.
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 11-25-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assembly work started late last week as I was waiting on some parts from powder coating. If you are wanting to get started on your build, but don't wan to get everything done at once you can start by pulling everything off the firewall and then going through all the boxes and getting out the parts. This picture shows everything you need to get started minus the firewall panels which are in the box.

powdercoated1.jpg

While I was waiting for the parts I started with dieting the harness. My only advice here is to follow the threads in the wiring section.

40lbbucket of cables.jpg

wiringfun.jpg

Once the parts arrived I had a pretty productive couple of days. My rivets started looking a lot better once I finally used the guide tool for spacing. In addition to picking one of those up an air powered rivet gun is worth it's wait in gold after you just finished drilling hundreds of holes. Speaking of drilling, a right angle drill is a good investment and if you cut the shaft of drill bit down so that the bit is only a couple of inches long you can get into some of the corners easier. Just remember you will likely have to use a manual rivet gun for those areas.

day1.jpg

day2.jpg

day3.1.jpg

day3.jpg

Today I put in the new lighter flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. I found that when trying to do all this by myself that some ratcheting straps on the transmission will allow you to get the transmission bolted back on without killing your back.

oldflywheel.jpg

lightflywheel.jpg

Those same straps came in very handy to getting the motor dropped in as I could tilt it however needed to make it work. In addition to removing the oil filler neck, don't forget to remove the oil dipstick. If you take the heat shields off the bottom of the headers then you should have no issues getting the engine in. If you want to make it even easier take off the plastic intake under the manifold and the oil dipstick tube.

lowering motor.jpg

I didn't get a picture of it, but I ended up running a strap vertical which worked out better than the one you can see in the above picture.
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 11-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    And the final update for today is the motor is in place and Fedex showed up with the two inner CV joints that mate up to the Quaife differential output shaft.

motor in.jpg
    818S in progress.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So..you might want to grab those door hinges off your donor....also your upper control arms look like you have them upside down...the upper ball joint should be tilted towards the car (inboard) not out....moving right a long though!!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    So..you might want to grab those door hinges off your donor....also your upper control arms look like you have them upside down...the upper ball joint should be tilted towards the car (inboard) not out....moving right a long though!!
    I pulled the hinges off already. Good catch on the upper ball joint. I thought for some reason mine were on correctly, but I looked through a bunch of build threads and apparently I am wrong. Not looking forward to pulling those back out since I almost ripped my bench vise off the table putting them on.
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 11-26-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice start, NISMO. Congrats on the arrival of the 818 and especially for the arrival of your first baby!!!
    I'll PM you about some donor parts I'd like to buy. Check the "notifications" at the top.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have missed it,....where are you located in TX. I'm NE of Houston near IAH.

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I am near San Antonio so not all that far away.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    A decent amount of progress today, but only because I chose not to fix my incorrect front suspension.

Here is a pick of the assembled rear axle using the stock outer, the FF provided middle section, and the inner joints to mate up to the new diff.

rear axle.jpg

For the rear suspension I didn't heat up one of the shock collars enough and spent way too much time beating it into submission. The second one was well heated and dropped in with no effort. When assembling the rear arms make sure you keep the two bags of spacers separated or plan on measuring them to figure out which ones to use. I must say installing those spacers can be a pit of a pain so having a few pry bars or big screw drivers and a mallet helps.

rear suspension back.jpg

rear suspension.jpg

I also realized I didn't have the transmission mount and had to go hunt that down. If I don't have a baby tonight I will be at it again tomorrow.
    818S in progress.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should not be working that hard if you are pregnant. LOL.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    You should not be working that hard if you are pregnant. LOL.

Now that was funny!

Great progress BTW
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NISMO_RB25 View Post
    A decent amount of progress today, but only because I chose not to fix my incorrect front suspension.

Here is a pick of the assembled rear axle using the stock outer, the FF provided middle section, and the inner joints to mate up to the new diff.

rear axle.jpg

For the rear suspension I didn't heat up one of the shock collars enough and spent way too much time beating it into submission. The second one was well heated and dropped in with no effort. When assembling the rear arms make sure you keep the two bags of spacers separated or plan on measuring them to figure out which ones to use. I must say installing those spacers can be a pit of a pain so having a few pry bars or big screw drivers and a mallet helps.

rear suspension back.jpg

rear suspension.jpg

I also realized I didn't have the transmission mount and had to go hunt that down. If I don't have a baby tonight I will be at it again tomorrow.
    What diff you using, how you going to lock 02-04 stubs in with a closed LSD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    For the rear suspension I didn't heat up one of the shock collars enough and spent way too much time beating it into submission. The second one was well heated and dropped in with no effort.
    Funny, I had no issue assembling my coilovers... I was prepared to heat them up, but they all dropped right on.

When assembling the rear arms make sure you keep the two bags of spacers separated or plan on measuring them to figure out which ones to use. I must say installing those spacers can be a pit of a pain so having a few pry bars or big screw drivers and a mallet helps.
    I picked up a super-cheap pair of calipers from Harbor Freight... would I trust them to a mil? probably not, but they've earned their keep identifying the spacers.

P.S. Someone suggested a rattail file drill attachment to ream them out; I got one from Amazon for $5.

Post Thanks / Like
    you lucked out on the coilover collars. I would have never gotten them on without heat. I picked up a caliper from Summit and it has definitely proven valuable when I drop the spacers and managed to kick them across the garage.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up changing the ball joint and then changing it back as the angle wasn't correct as can be seen in the picture. Today was spent moving the LCA to the outer most holes which was a lot of grinding, cursing, hammering, and more hammering.

photo.JPG
    818S in progress.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    your looking at it at full droop, when the control arms are in ride height the ball joint is almost straight up and down...your car build as you want...I didn't validate the wagon install though either...
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    your looking at it at full droop, when the control arms are in ride height the ball joint is almost straight up and down...your car build as you want...I didn't validate the wagon install though either...
    Thanks for that. This is my first kit car build and I appreciate any input. I have gotten far too good at swapping them out so I will take another look once I start adjusting ride height.
    Last edited by NISMO_RB25; 11-28-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the little girl has decided she is happy where she is, so we have scheduled an induction on Wednesday before daylight.

They were both helping me in the garage today.

baby.jpg

I drilled a couple of hundred more holes today and used clecos to hold everything in place.

Bottom panel.jpg

deadman.jpg

The sad part is removing it all for powder coating.

removed.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats man!! I have a little girl 3 now and were having our second which is in progress, if you have any questions shoot me a pm etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the support. We have had a busy couple of days with not much sleep, but my wife and new little girl are both home and everyone is healthy. I can pretty much guarantee my updates will be slow going for the next month.

peanut.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to all three of you!! We are all glad to hear that the baby girl is home and happy. She is darling! I'm not surprised that you are exhausted and I predict that you won't get a full nights sleep . . . or many rivets set . . . for quite a while. Enjoy the time, as it goes quickly and what seems like only a month she'll be asking to borrow the car. Wait, it will be the 818 Dad built!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, what a beautiful girl.

Post Thanks / Like
    VERY cute! Congrats!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awwww, very beautiful, congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, your first? BTW caution: They Grow UP! :-)
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Congrats, your first? BTW caution: They Grow UP! :-)
    And they grow quick! I blinked and my daughter was starting school...

Congrats!!
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting school... mine's 17 and hormonal! LOL
    Dan

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful... congrats.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now you have to sell the car. You didn't finish before the baby came. Game over.

Congrats!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    The interior panels are now installed along the sides and hopefully tomorrow I will get started on the pedal assembly and steering column. The textured powder coating looks great and I will definitely use that for the remaining parts. If I haven't said this enough the air rivet gun is awesome.

sidepanels.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pedal assembly along with the brake and clutch master cylinder are now installed. I used a riv-nut tool and almost got it stuck trying to get the top riv-nut in place for the gas pedal.

mastercylinders.jpg

rivnut.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since my donor is an 06 I am using the drive by wire pedal. The mount provided by FF put it at a very odd angle and low. Here is the factory mount:
    bracket1.jpg

Here I cut off the top portion, drilled one extra hole, flattened the bottom tab, and like magic it lines up perfectly with the other pedals.

bracket2.jpg

Gopedal.jpg

I would recommend two people to put the steering column in so that one can line it up while the other mounts it in place.

steeringcolumn.jpg
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    What rivnut tool is that? Does it work well? The inner shaft on my harbor freight ones deformed after doing 2 of the 1/4-20 rivnuts. I want to rivnut the body in place instead of riveting and don't want to do the screw/nut method for all of them.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    What rivnut tool is that? Does it work well? The inner shaft on my harbor freight ones deformed after doing 2 of the 1/4-20 rivnuts. I want to rivnut the body in place instead of riveting and don't want to do the screw/nut method for all of them.
    It is just a cheap one I got from Northern Tool. For the price if it doesn't hold up I can just buy a couple of more. I have only done about 4 so far, but I think as long as you adjust the tool correctly it should hold up.
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...D-_-707-_-CONF
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that I needed to grind the face of the tool's insert to get the stud fully threaded into the nutsert. I have done more than 100, mostly 10-24 inserts with mine from Harbor freight
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well after 9+ years, two kids, and moving out of TX and back to TX, I am resuming the build.

Today I got the brakes to all work.
    Unfortunately when I went to fill the transmission the axle seals are leaking. New seals should be in this week.
    818S in progress.

39. Thanks Rob T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well after 9+ years, two kids, and moving out of TX and back to TX, I am resuming the build.

Today I got the brakes to all work.
    Unfortunately when I went to fill the transmission the axle seals are leaking. New seals should be in this week.
    What part of Texas are you in? I'm going to have to slow my build down if I want to make the longest build time record, haha. Currently at 6-7 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NevaLift2Shift View Post
    What part of Texas are you in? I'm going to have to slow my build down if I want to make the longest build time record, haha. Currently at 6-7 years.
    I am close to San Antonio. Wife said I can't buy another project until I finish or sell this one, so 100 degree weather seems like the perfect time to be in the shop. We need to hurry up before FF discontinues some of the add on parts we might want.
    818S in progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast