BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3 link bracket hitting rim

Post Thanks / Like

3 link bracket hitting rim

SO driver side hitting the rim but not passenger side, rear seems centered. What do you guys think ?IMG_0504.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I had issues with mine coming very uncomfortably close, installed 1/8" wheel spacers and all good. You may need a bit more, or perhaps getting the rear centered first.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I had issues with mine coming very uncomfortably close, installed 1/8" wheel spacers and all good. You may need a bit more, or perhaps getting the rear centered first.
    Have spacers installed and grinded the bracket. No binding when driving and driveshaft seems to be centered with rear and trans

Post Thanks / Like
    Centering the rear end is done by using the center line of the rear housing (not the driveshaft) and making sure it is centered in the chassis. This has no effect what so ever with the traction-loc bracket in relation to the wheel. I would look first at the wheel and see if it is contacting the inside of the wheel all the way around the inside of the wheel. If it is, then spacers or clearancing the bracket may be the answer. If it is only contacting the inside of the wheel in one spot the wheel may not be mounted to the hub properly and may be making contact because of that. You would also see unusual tire wear (eventually). Loose lug nut may also be the culprit. Check those things and get back to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Centering the rear end is done by using the center line of the rear housing (not the driveshaft) and making sure it is centered in the chassis. This has no effect what so ever with the traction-loc bracket in relation to the wheel. I would look first at the wheel and see if it is contacting the inside of the wheel all the way around the inside of the wheel. If it is, then spacers or clearancing the bracket may be the answer. If it is only contacting the inside of the wheel in one spot the wheel may not be mounted to the hub properly and may be making contact because of that. You would also see unusual tire wear (eventually). Loose lug nut may also be the culprit. Check those things and get back to us.
    +1 The engines in these cars are not perfectly centered, therefore your driveshaft will be slightly offset to the differential. I measured mine from the center of the tires to the frame. Tried to pick the same place on the opposing sides. Center the rear end to the frame not the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    15 inch wheels right? This is normal for them as the 3 link fits 17s just fine. Grind away some bracket for clearance
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    15 inch wheels right? This is normal for them as the 3 link fits 17s just fine. Grind away some bracket for clearance
    Yes 15 in

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the old version of the the 3 link, the newer ones come with the corner knocked off and a plate welded on. HTH, R
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this isn't comparing apples to apples, since yours is an MK3, but here is a shot of my MK4's clearance to the 15" Halibrands. Plenty of room. My axle is even .1875" narrower per side than a stock 'stang. I'll also add this is the passenger side looking from the back.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-27-2018 at 12:52 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    I know this isn't comparing apples to apples, since yours is an MK3, but here is a shot of my MK4's clearance to the 15" Halibrands. Plenty of room. My axle is even .1875" narrower per side than a stock 'stang. I'll also add this is the passenger side looking from the back.
    Yeah mine has good clearance on pax side it’s the driver side that’s to close

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MKIV, 3-link, 17 x 10.5" inch FFR Halibrands. I had to grind the corner off of the bracket.

Yama-Bro,
    Are those 9" wide? They are MUCH further away than mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I have a MKIV, 3-link, 17 x 10.5" inch FFR Halibrands. I had to grind the corner off of the bracket.

Yama-Bro,
    Are those 9" wide? They are MUCH further away than mine.
    They are 9", keep in mind they are also 15" dia. My 17" halibrands are much closer...
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines