BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: US vs Canadian Suppliers

Post Thanks / Like

US vs Canadian Suppliers

Hey all,

I’m in the process of planning my Roadster build and wanted to get a sense of the parts that people are able to source freely in Canada vs importing.

I want to support my local suppliers as much as possible so if any of you can recommend any especially in the southern Ontario area i’d really appreciate the info.

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by DanM; 06-27-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan - For basic mechanical gear I have several shops that I use all the time that I can put you in touch with. For FFR specific stuff (suspension and Cobra specific) I use a guy in Montreal that will ship to SWO no issue.

PM me if you want more information (I'm in London Ontario)

Cheers
    Jonas
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

3. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dan,

Stuff from places like Summit or Jegs gets crazy expensive with shipping. Even the shipping from FFR has stopped me from purchasing simple things. Add to that the exchange rate and the looming ludicrous tariff and the cost sky rockets.

Have you contacted Ryan at Valins Custom Cars in Sudbury Ontario. He is the factory authorized go to guy in Canada for your FFR parts, kit and completion kit imports.
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 07-05-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Howard View Post
    Hi Dan,

Stuff from places like Summit or Jegs get crazy expensive with shipping. Even the shipping from FFR has stopped me from purchasing simple things. Add to that the exchange rate and the looming ludacris tarif and the cost sky rockets.

Have you contacted Ryan at Valins Custom Cars in Sudbury Ontario. He is the factory authorized go to guy in Canada for your FFR parts, kit and completion kit imports.
    I hear you Dave! I have put a spreadsheet together of my build and as soon as I do the exchange rate and shipping it takes my breath away....and that doesn't include the healthy contingency I have for unknowns! I figured that even if I could get some stuff locally and shave a few dollars off here and there it'll soon add up.

I have contacted Ryan. He's an awesome resource and has been extremely helpful supporting me with my build list. I'll definitely be sourcing a lot through him, but if I can get some basic non FFR specific things closer to home and save on shipping and exchange rate I'd like to take the opportunity. I'll go the donor route for some stuff like the rear end but for the engine, trans and brakes etc i'd like to go new. These are the big ticket items where the additional costs soon add up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also a Canadian in the planning stages of a 33 HR.
    Regarding tariffs, what will affect us? I know the US is talking about tariffs on automobile stuff, steel, etc going into the US. I know Canada is talking retaliatory tariffs on items but haven't heard car parts in that list... mostly things like Heinz ketchup....

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hope they don't get us on tariffs too, it's bad enough the exchange rate is not good.

Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    At the current exchange rates plus shipping, I generally double the price in US dollars to get to my delivered price in Canadian dollars for auto parts. The biggest challenge with Canadian suppliers is that it seems that they buy at retail in the US and then add on their 30% to 40% markup. So while they advertise that they don't charge duty or brokerage, their prices are significantly higher than what it would cost me to buy in the USA and ship to Nova Scotia. Also, avoid shipping from the US via UPS - they will rip you big time with their crazy brokerage fees. USPS is great (but not fast).

9. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There wasn’t much that I was able to buy here in Canada. Just a few hydraulic fittings and some services like welding. All my parts were ordered from Summit, etc and shipped to a storage facility in Niagara Falls, New York. I am 45 minutes from there so once I had a handful of parts to pick up I made a run. If the value is less than $100 you don’t pay any taxes. This is by far much less expensive than shipping internationally.

11. Thanks DanM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel and Tires

Wheels and Tires
    I am looking for some chrome wheels from a Canadian source. I am building a 33 HR beginning in Aug 2019.
    Ideally I am after
    Front 18x8
    5.42 backspace
    24 mm offset
    Bolt pattern is 5x 4.5
    Tire is 245/40/R18

Back 20x11
    6” backspace
    0 offset
    Bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5
    Tire is 315/25/r20

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan. My experience is the same as Driver_WT's here in Canada. One way to save on shipping is to have your parts shipped to the UPS store, 2981 Ford Street Extension, Ogdensburg, NY 13669, USA. You should only have to pay the HST at the boarder. I'd also suggest you watch these boards for people selling parts etc. Not sure if you saw this motor/trans package as an example. https://www.ffcars.com/forums/19-par...tk0-500-a.html.
    Take Care. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Wheels and Tires
    I am looking for some chrome wheels from a Canadian source. I am building a 33 HR beginning in Aug 2019.
    Ideally I am after
    Front 18x8
    5.42 backspace
    24 mm offset
    Bolt pattern is 5x 4.5
    Tire is 245/40/R18

Back 20x11
    6” backspace
    0 offset
    Bolt pattern is 5 x 4.5
    Tire is 315/25/r20

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
    Hi Dunc. I'm considering buying larger wheels/tires to fill out the fenders more on my 37 and as a result may be trying to sell the current set. I'm located in Ottawa. Here's a pic. They are Colorado Customs 16"x 205 fronts and 18" x 255 rears. I'm not sure of the back spacing but if you are interested I can give you more info. Let me know, Scott

May 2017.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    Hi Dunc. I'm considering buying larger wheels/tires to fill out the fenders more on my 37 and as a result may be trying to sell the current set. I'm located in Ottawa. Here's a pic. They are Colorado Customs 16"x 205 fronts and 18" x 255 rears. I'm not sure of the back spacing but if you are interested I can give you more info. Let me know, Scott

May 2017.jpg
    I think they will be to small also.... I have bike fenders and if the wheels are small it would look odd.
    Where did you order the wheels and tires.?
    Great looking car!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure those 20's will fit in the wheel well? that size was used at the build school but they didn't put the fenders on...
    For wheels, I went to a local Foose distributor. The 2 pc cast wasn't priced too badly and only took a few weeks to get...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I will investigate further!

Post Thanks / Like
    If your in the Ottawa area I would highly suggest Sipan Tires on Industrial, speak with Mony Hanna and say Andreas sent you. He supplied all my tires and wheels and worked with me on getting the best price installed. If they don't have it they will get it for you. My four spoke wheels were end of line and I was able to get a spare front and rear wheel as well. Be patient as the shoes on your car can make or break the look.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    If your in the Ottawa area I would highly suggest Sipan Tires on Industrial, speak with Mony Hanna and say Andreas sent you. He supplied all my tires and wheels and worked with me on getting the best price installed. If they don't have it they will get it for you. My four spoke wheels were end of line and I was able to get a spare front and rear wheel as well. Be patient as the shoes on your car can make or break the look.
    Excellent! Thank you!!!