Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: 818 Targa

Post Thanks / Like

818 Targa

Attached are some pictures of a 818 Targa top I have working on for my personal use. The goal is a top that is easy to install in case of rain, to be able to see a traffic light without leaning over and not smell the exhaust fumes on a long trip. The Colorado sun can be quite intense too. There still is a lot of work to do but it is a start. The molding process went pretty smooth and should not be too difficult others to duplicate or try.
    IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg

Here is the redesigned rear deck with the top removed.
    IMG_0224.jpg

This is the first time I posted a picture so I hope it works!
    Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that's pretty cool! Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice design and nice work!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Nice work. What was the thought process for removing the two humps over the the engine? Too cluttered otherwise?

Would love to see some of the build photos. Did you make a mold or is it a one off piece?

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks awesome, nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching the other day the show, How it's made: Dream Cars - Falcon F7. It reminded me as a cross between the GTM and the 818. I thought how cool would it be to make a targa top for the 818, then this morning I see your thread and see that someone has taken that idea and ran with it. Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, I love your targa mod, but have you thought about a rear window? Since I have removed my coupe hardtop for some engine work, I can get photos of the window wall from the front and back. It looks to me like it might fit with your targa top.

window wall - rear.jpg
    window wall front.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the feedback on the targa top. The plan for now is to drive and evaluate the top and get back to other projects. All the new parts bolt to existing holes and in less than a ½ hour I could go back to stock.

AZPete, the rear window will be full width located just before the roll bar and bolted to the fire wall. Slots would be cut in the Lexan for the shoulder harnesses. An alternative is located it behind the roll bar and bonded to the top. Slots would be cut for the cross members.

Ideas for the top run from canvas with clear windows to a solid top if it could be stored in the trunk area. Another alternative is a T top with a center brace to the windshield.

I am also considering side windows to minimize the blind spots. As it gets driven this summer we will find out how important they are.

The core of the assembly is ½ inch foam insulation on a wooden body buck. To make the sharper curves near the door the insulation was laminated and shaped. The insulation is then covered with fiberglass cloth. Once the outside is glassed it can be cut from the buck and glassed on the inside. With the structural layers a ½ inch apart you have a very strong but light weight composite. Generally the parts required less than a 1/16 inch of fill. Check out some of the youtube videos on foam core surf boards, model airplanes and boats for more information.

As for the rear deck I have never liked the humps. It also irritated me a bit when asked if “it is on a VW pan?” or “has a VW engine?” like in the old kit car days. Because of that I wanted to expose the engine more than stock. In the future a nice 3.6 would look good in there!

I hope that answers most of the questions so far.

Larry

9. Likes VicariousJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like what you have done. Your work is very inspirational!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding. Really, REALLY nice work. I'm going to attempt something similar to this, but I haven't made it to the bodywork yet. Actually, I haven't made it to gokart yet. I hadn't considered just making a new rear engine cover and removing the humps, but this is really....clean. Any chance you have documentation of the process you are willing to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Looks like it came that way, awesome fab work!

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear looks like a Porsche 914, awesome!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    The rear looks like a Porsche 914, awesome!
    More like a Honda Del Sol imo. But it looks good. I like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I like it. I think the Targa fits better than the FFR coupe rear.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

16. Likes Maximus liked this post