Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which brakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Which brakes?

Hello! I just recently ordered a base kit with IRS and the 13" brakes for the rear. My question is, what are others using for front brakes, or what should I look at getting for the front?

Advanced thanks for the groups guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had thought about doing Willwood front brakes and the 13' rear brakes from the 2015 mustang but Factory Five's tech recommended against just doing Willwoods up front. I ended up deciding to skip the Willwoods after talking to them and will go with the standard brakes which should still be more then adequate. After all, they were designed to stop a car that weights over a 1000 lbs. more then the roadster will. I think you would need to really abuse the brakes over a period of time to generate enough heat to have any impact on stopping distance in the lightweight roadster. Having said that, I just got my kit and don't have any actually experience with these brakes yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the interwebs ( which is never wrong ), the 2015+ 5.0 mustangs have 13 in the rear and 15 up front. Anyone have experience with those brakes? What wheels are you stuffing those into if so?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 13, 14 and 15" brakes. The largest that will fit on the front with the FFR spindle is a 4" 6 piston front and a 13" 4 piston rear using an 18" wheels. Feel free to call me and we can talk at length.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    I had thought about doing Willwood front brakes and the 13' rear brakes from the 2015 mustang but Factory Five's tech recommended against just doing Willwoods up front. I ended up deciding to skip the Willwoods after talking to them and will go with the standard brakes which should still be more then adequate. After all, they were designed to stop a car that weights over a 1000 lbs. more then the roadster will. I think you would need to really abuse the brakes over a period of time to generate enough heat to have any impact on stopping distance in the lightweight roadster. Having said that, I just got my kit and don't have any actually experience with these brakes yet.
    Clover, aren't the standard brakes 11"? Meaning, you'd be running a 13" in the back and an 11" up front? The FF tech told me the same this morning. Just sounded funny, not being able to see the end result.
    Last edited by erstanl; 06-28-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the standard brakes FFR provideds in complete kit is 99-04 Mustang Gt front calipers. They use 11” rotors what some guys do are upgrade to 99-04 Cobr/Mach 1 calipers that run 13” rotors. And not all 15+ Mustangs Run 13” rotors the performance pack up grade run the kit 13” rotors. That is what I am running with 17” replica Halibrands.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the OE brakes on my 2015 IRS retrofit. They work very well. Even though the parking brake seems to be nearly the same design as the old Mustang calipers, this is the first time I have had a great parking brake. These wheels fit fine
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/dedibuwh.html
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wilwoods are probably overkill, but I opted for them anyway. I'm happy with that choice. Just my opinion. (I'm running 17" wheels)
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for all the replies! This place is great.

Paul2STL: Thanks for the info, that is the route im most interested in.

For you wilwood guys, you don't have to use a booster? Is that right?

Post Thanks / Like
    No booster, it turns the brakes into an on/off switch with little or no feedback. I have big kit's that fit under the Halibrand style wheels that are significantly larger than when anyone else sells. There really is no such thing as too much brake.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up