Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rons Dream MK4 build

Post Thanks / Like

Rons Dream MK4 build

I started my roadster build back in Late February and was in the "Welcome Forum" for a while. I never took the time to start a new thread in the Roadster Build section, so I guess I can consider this my start here. I'm at the point that I should be doing the first engine start next Saturday, July 7.

I have the MK4 with a coyote from Mike Forte.

Everything is moving along smoothly with help from another FFR member (Stack). It's always a great help having someone with you that has built several FFR's before.

I have a question. I installed the power steering hoses today and when I tightened them down the fittings were still somewhat loose I'm not sure why. I used the FFR power steering hoses I got with the kit along with the FFR power steering unit.

Has anyone else had that issue before? I must be missing something.
    Last edited by ronsdream; 06-30-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Misspelled my name.

Post Thanks / Like
    How tight did you tighten them down? Those fittings can be a little delicate. Idea is to just get them just snug, and then if any leaks, slightly adjust until they stop.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I'm aware that they should be snug and not overtightened, but there shouldn't be any play in the tube at the fitting connection I'm thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    can you post a pic?
    Some type of fittings have some play in them when tightened. The ones I got a while back from FFR in my coyote kit where this way but I know they have since changed the kit since then so I am not sure what you have.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, some fittings are designed to still be able to rotate when tightened down. They are generally called Swivel-Seals. Not saying thats what you've got, but it could be. A pic would do a lot here...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hooking up my power steering and found the same. Here's some pictures of the male end of the hose, which is domed, and the inside of the female end for the pump (the receptacle on the rack is the same) which is flat. Wondering if that's the way it is supposed to be to allow it to swivel as Boydster says. There's also a teflon ring that floats in a channel toward the end of the coupling nut, if that helps identify whether or not it is a swivel seal. Any opinions out there? Thanks.
    Power Steering 1.jpgPower Steering 2.jpg
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ehhh... thats not the type of swivel seal I'm aware of. It looks to me like those are 2 parts that are not made to go together. Power steering can have some pretty spectacular pressure spikes, and those are not going to seal nearly enough.

I think you're missing a fitting.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You RJD for posting the pictures of yours. Mine are the same.
    Yes that's exactly what I have going on. It doesn't seem correct. I'm thinking there should be some sort of nylon tapered washer that will make it a tighter fit. Metal on metal won't seal tight enough. (I'm thinking)

Will need to call FFR tomorrow and ask folks there if they sent me the correct fittings.

9. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine were the same, alarmingly loose! I was told that was normal and sure enough on first start not a drop of a leak. It’s a mystery to me how they work.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

11. Thanks RJD thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Mine were the same, alarmingly loose! I was told that was normal and sure enough on first start not a drop of a leak. It’s a mystery to me how they work.
    Thanks BB767 and Boydster. I P.M.ed Papa on this forum to see how his lines were and he said they were loose too but no leaks. Guess its designed that way. I'm gonna give the lines a shot as is. Ronsdream, if you hear anything different from FFR, will you post your findings or PM me please. Thank you.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Talked to FFR today and they confirmed that the fittings will swivel after tightening.

So I guess everything is fine.

Thanks everybody.

14. Thanks RJD thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronsdream View Post
    Talked to FFR today and they confirmed that the fittings will swivel after tightening.

So I guess everything is fine.

Thanks everybody.
    Started everything up and ran great. no brake leaks. Loose and swivel are good