Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Graduate #8823, just back from a 1000 mile Inaugural trip to North Arkansas from DFW

Post Thanks / Like

Graduate #8823, just back from a 1000 mile Inaugural trip to North Arkansas from DFW

I finished my FFR Mark IV about a month ago. It has a 453hp Roush Coyote engine and T600. It is the Lexus Indigo blue with platinum stripes and red side stripes. Red accents in the cockpit tie the colors together.
    Last week, in a moment of pure insanity, a good friend and I decided to drive it up to Mountain Home Arkansas, on a work trip. With no top and obviously, no A/C Temperatures along the trip were in the high 90"s, often without shade. Wide brimmed hats and UV restrictive clothing, and about 20 bottles of water we a big help. It was a hot trip to say the least but the mountain roads of central AR were a real joy in this car. The car and the new engine performed flawlessly. I did the interior in marine grade leatherette, with marine carpet and a marine sound system which was good because our sweat alone kept the interior damp. I look forward to cooler temps for the next long trip.
    I really appreciate the help and mentorship of my new, good friend King for his advice and work on the car. He had built his own Coyote flip-top cobra and guided me through the many chances I had to make a dumb mistake. I'd likely still be riveting panels if not for him.
    I've been fortunate to make some great new friends on this project and we look forward to meeting more along the way.

IMG_4605.jpgIMG_4606.jpgIMG_4607.jpgIMG_3488.jpg
    Larry Johnson
    Colleyville, Texas (DFW area)
    2016 Mark IV complete kit
    Delivered March 3, 2016
    New 2016 Roush Coyote engine w/453 hp
    2016 IRS, Tremec T600 mid shifter

2. Likes jrcuz liked this post

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Another Larry Johnson (the other one is in Utah).

Beautiful car and congrats on your road trip. That's what these cars are all about. Yeah, they are cool to take to a car show and to sit in your garage and drool over them ... but the open road is where it all comes together. That and all the wonderful people you will meet with these cars.

I met King, summer of 2016 when I was doing the Hot Rod Power Tour, during the day at Grand Prairie, TX. I had a chance to check out his incredible build and the craftsmanship and attention to detail just blew me away. You had a great mentor and it shows in your build.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks great. Love the unique interior. King helped me a bunch also. A real asset to the FFR community. Congrats and I hope you enjoy many miles in the Cobra!!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    The only way to truly know your car is with butt time in the seat. I've logged 24,000 miles so far since 2014 with a number of cruises across our countries. The Coyote will purr all day and sip fuel on the highway. You learn to have the weather app handy on your phone and keep an eye on the radar.
    You run the full gamut of temperatures and conditions when driving in an open top car. Cool in the morning and evening. Hot during the day. Heated seats and the heater defroster help to take the chill off in the AM. I have large black beach towels to cover the seats when it hot and sunny during the day. Helps to keep the seats cool. And they come in handy when caught in a sudden storm. A hat (with back up) and sunscreen are always behind the seat. I installed large diameter marine drink holders, big enough to fit a cozy. Bottled water gets quite warm in the sun. The top comes on tours but only gets installed if I absolutely need it. The snapless tonneau from Phil and Kate goes on for the night. Keeps the dew off, and prying eyes. Im amazed at how well it works to keep rain out when the car is parked.

Congratulations on the first of many road trips.

Aside...I love that fliptop cobra of Kings. Now there's a mod I wish I had the courage to attempt. Its the best way to show off all the workmanship and detail in the engine compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats very nicely done

I love the interior

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like

Graduate #8823.......

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Johnson View Post
    I finished my FFR Mark IV about a month ago. It has a 453hp Roush Coyote engine and T600. It is the Lexus Indigo blue with platinum stripes and red side stripes. Red accents in the cockpit tie the colors together.
    Last week, in a moment of pure insanity, a good friend and I decided to drive it up to Mountain Home Arkansas, on a work trip. With no top and obviously, no A/C Temperatures along the trip were in the high 90"s, often without shade. Wide brimmed hats and UV restrictive clothing, and about 20 bottles of water we a big help. It was a hot trip to say the least but the mountain roads of central AR were a real joy in this car. The car and the new engine performed flawlessly. I did the interior in marine grade leatherette, with marine carpet and a marine sound system which was good because our sweat alone kept the interior damp. I look forward to cooler temps for the next long trip.
    I really appreciate the help and mentorship of my new, good friend King for his advice and work on the car. He had built his own Coyote flip-top cobra and guided me through the many chances I had to make a dumb mistake. I'd likely still be riveting panels if not for him.
    I've been fortunate to make some great new friends on this project and we look forward to meeting more along the way.

IMG_4605.jpgIMG_4606.jpgIMG_4607.jpgIMG_3488.jpg
    Way to go Larry! CONGRATULATIONS! Good to hear you had a safe trip and the beast ran flawlessly. You did a great job on your build!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! She is a beauty and sounds like you already gave her a workout.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Heck of a shake down cruise. She’s a beauty.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Awesome car.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the kind words. If you ever find yourself in the DFW area, give us a call.
    Larry Johnson
    Colleyville, Texas (DFW area)
    2016 Mark IV complete kit
    Delivered March 3, 2016
    New 2016 Roush Coyote engine w/453 hp
    2016 IRS, Tremec T600 mid shifter