Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Input on wing mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Input on wing mounts

I am working on my wing mount and want some input from folks. I am not an pro engineer here so I am open to any suggestion. I attached some pics of my current set up. Ignore the hardware being used its all temp bolts and nuts for testing. Everything thing seems very solid where its at but I am sure I will need some kind of support that will attach more towards the rear of the frame. Any input? Keep support bar that goes all the way across the rear? Or should I just mount it to a small section and call it good?

zNtLXHH.jpg

Zo9HGqf.jpg
    ^^^ Thinking I could attach to this section of the frame on each side giving a triangle shape to the whole assembly Would this be a good idea? Should I use a Rivnut or go through the whole frame with a bolt and maybe insert inside the frame? Is this a bad spot? Should I go for a more parallel mount 90Deg down to something that is more rear facing maybe attach to the back area around the trans?

0KsyWAW.jpg
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-03-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of questions to better understand your use case before offering any advise.

1. What type and size wing are you using?
    2. How much down force do you expect to generate?
    3. Will you be tracking this vehicle or just driving onthe street?
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    1. 57in wing maybe convert to 65/67in or so in the future. Not 100% sure yet. 57 is what I have right now.

2. No idea on the down force it's similar in design to a gtc200 so I would assume 200lbs depending on the attack angle I end up at.

3.Possible track days nothing crazy mostly street. Rather heavy track and race something else ATM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is where I'm going to triangulate my wing support. Not making any promises, but seems like a good spot:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...2&d=1426305772

Post Thanks / Like
    Zach is correct, that is the best spot to anchor your wing when triangulating the support. However if you are not generating more than your target 200 lbs of down force, your location to tie into the frame will be fine. Plus your muffler seem to be in the way of the ideal spot.

Here is a link to the wing support section in my build thread to see how and where I built mine.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post309535
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Think I should be able to tie into that spot actually. Just have to go buy some more material see what I can do this week. Thanks for the helpful input.
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-05-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We offer a complete wing mount kit for doing just what you're wanting. We have wing pedestals available for both the GTC 300 as well as the GT 250.

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/818-wing-mount-kit/
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the mount on my R - 1-5/8" chromoly with 1" chromoly legs going down to the frame:

17903401_10103580277033113_6528190762592035196_n.jpg
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay scratch what I said maybe it won't fit perfect lol. Any input on if I put behind the trans?

Here is my amazing technical drawing. Not exact location I may move things out a little bit. I am thinking have bar go across the frame (Yellow section). Wing mount Square tube will come down and it will get sandwich in between the 2 mounts welded on top of the yellow bar.
    20180706_153919.jpg
    Last edited by redfogo; 07-06-2018 at 03:53 PM.