Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Any big-block (FE) builds going on right now?

Post Thanks / Like

Any big-block (FE) builds going on right now?

Title says it all.

Like Gen Macarthur said, "I have returned!" Ok, no one may have noticed I have been away from the roadster land for a while. I can accept that. Sniff.

I am very interested in using a 390 stroked to 427 for a roadster build sometime in the not distant future. So I'd like to follow along anyone who is building one currently. Any such builds happening right now? Most seem to be either Coyote, 351, or 302-based and there's not a dang thing wrong with any of those.

If you know of any threads here or in the other forum(s), please tip me off.

Thanks, all.
    Alan

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
    - Pete Townshend

2. Likes erlihemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Building one right now, in build section under FEAdam, got pictures of build have encountered a few detours. I'm using 4 speed toploader and 482 BBM block heads and dual 4 Blue thunder intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I completed mine about a year ago with a 390 FE a TKO and a 3 link
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    feadam: that's too cool, I am also planning on using the Top-Loader and dual quads using the Blue Thunder intake.

Itchief: so, uh, how's it drive?!
    Alan

- Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll have to modify the trans bracket from FF5 to get it to work

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the FE from a friend at work he dropped 12 k into the motor and sold it to me for 4K still in the crate

It’s a blast to drive about 475 ft lbs at the crank

I had to work through some handling issues because my weight balance is about 1700 lbs front and 1000 lbs rear ended up with 9 inch 550 lb springs up front and 250 lb 9 inch springs rear and added anti sway bars front and rear

The ride is still stiff but it no longer hurts to drive over rough roads

Let know if I can try to answer any questions or issues I have had to work through

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by feadam View Post
    Building one right now, in build section under FEAdam, got pictures of build have encountered a few detours. I'm using 4 speed toploader and 482 BBM block heads and dual 4 Blue thunder intake.
    Took a quick look at your build. Nice to see an old school replification. Great job!
    I would like to hear if people are happy with the BBM blocks. Has anyone considered the aluminum FE block from BBM?? Pricey but seems like a natural for the roadster. My experience is that Doug oversold the cylinder wall thickness, but, that was on the "other" make of block. I heard they are working on a coyote block also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had many 427 blocks over the years, original, had a genesis block, this BBM is by far the best block as far as machining and no flaws. I don't think BBM has any aluminum blocks yet they keep getting pushed back on production. The heads are also the first set of heads I have not cleaned up or ported fully for an FE that I have owned, just valve job and blend.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last time I "conversed" with Doug he was actually in Korea at the foundry. I was trying to find out the block material content and they would not divulge it other than the blocks do not require stress relief as they accomplish that in "the process". I haven't done any material checks myself, but, if I switch from ultrasonic checks on an old Chrysler high nickel block to the BBM block I have to significantly change the gain on the sensor. Obviously I'm working with the 392 repro block. The casting features on the Hemi block are not as improved as I would have liked, but, I suspect the purpose was to satisfy the investors need for a nostalgia class block. Diesel grade Iron is not a specific defined grade by our American standards. Its certainly not compacted graphite. In any case he made a better effort on the FE improvements and that's his volume for now. Good luck with your first test drive. Be conservative!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to see an absolutely immaculate 390 build, go here (disclaimer: it's the "other" forum) - -> https://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big...big-block.html

Or do a search for anything posted by RacerAl, he also has an extraordinary build of a FE.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, Your build is really impressive. Have you given any thought to the Robert Pond block vs. the BBM? How difficult is it to get to header bolts and plugs in the Mk4?

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    If you want to see an absolutely immaculate 390 build, go here (disclaimer: it's the "other" forum) - -> https://www.ffcars.com/forums/46-big...big-block.html

Or do a search for anything posted by RacerAl, he also has an extraordinary build of a FE.

Doc
    Yes Doc, I am very familiar with that thread. I have ZERO experience with an engine build, but I can tell he did it SO right.
    Alan

- Pete Townshend

Post Thanks / Like
    Kennyr
    Wanted an iron block and that meant either original ford block or BBM, which was new company at time, so took chance and bought the BBM. Its a really good block if I would have went aluminum probably would have done a Pond block. Header on right wasn't bad left was more challenging, spark plugs are easy because of the way they face up on an FE.

15. Thanks Kennyr, erlihemi thanked for this post