FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Necessary connections for engine start and a short game of "Where does this go?"

Post Thanks / Like

Necessary connections for engine start and a short game of "Where does this go?"

Part 1, just what the title says. I bought a donor not-running, busted timing belt, bent valve...so I never got to see if/how it ran. I built an engine, and I want to modify the wiring as little as possible before confirming it runs. In order to stretch the harness out properly, I removed most of the airbag wiring/module and some of the radio stuff.

I've already connected most of the stuff from two of the under-hood cords to stuff on the engine. Third one is, I think, just for lights/horns/radiator fans. I have a couple of loose plugs. I also have the 3 plugs for the gauge cluster plugged in, and I think I need to extend the wires for the gas pedal (saw it somewhere, then lost it in the harness), clutch (two plugs) and brake pedal (one pretty big plug). Also forgot to hook up the fuel pump before I put the firewall back on, so that's coming. Guess I forgot about the ignition switch until now, too.

What else do I NEED to hook up to get a first start? What's the best way to handle the grounds, and how many/which ones do I need to ground?

Part 2. Don't know what this plugs to, can't find anything that looks like it. Comes off the engine harness, towards the left rear of the engine.
    FormatFactory3.jpg
    Don't know what this goes to, either. Comes out of the same cord as the alternator wires.
    FormatFactory2.jpg
    Pretty certain this is one of the TGV plugs (which I've deleted). There is another just like it, which definitely plugs in to the TGV motor, but this one is right under the throttle body, so I want to confirm.
    FormatFactory1.jpg

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update: the purple plug goes to the secondary air-combination cut valve. I forgot that they don't both have the same number of plugs. The first one was a wheel speed sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless I missed something...You need to give us some basics. No one is going to be able to help without knowing WHAT DONOR CAR you bought. Year, make, model. Once you have that info. Google the ECU PIN OUT, then just look at the wire colors. Should be a no-brainer. For us to help you identify we need to see the connector AND the wiring colors, as well as know the information about the car, harness and ECM The wiring from the alternator wiring is either hot wire to alternator or the starter. The plug should plug in close by to one of those items. Check your alternator starter for a recess like the cable with the eyelet has, should be easy to match up. Good luck, sir!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, I guess donor info might have been helpful. Of course, I did solve it this morning already (see above), but I'll be sure to remember that if I get into any more trouble.
    Apparently, the service manual is much more helpful in the morning than after 5 hours of 100+ degree garage time.

Post Thanks / Like
    hahahaha... glad you're on track!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com