Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radiator Panel

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Panel

Hi all,

I am contemplating using Mike Everson's radiator panel on my build http://www.replicaparts.com/Roadster...nel%20page.htm

The suggested radiator angle is 58deg. (vs 51 deg. for the standard install). When I mocked up the placement I noticed the lower radiator outlet is very (too) close to the frame (tow hook).

For those that used Mike's panel, I was looking for some suggestions on how to you addressed (special hose, altered the panel). I would prefer not to have to alter the frame.

Thanks in advance.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    My lower hose also interfered with the tow hook. I have the top of my radiator on a piano hinge, so I propped it up as high as it would go and took the skill saw to the tow hook tip. I still have the tow hook, but it has been trimmed to clear the lower radiator hose.

trimmed tow hook by D. R., on Flickr

20170826_121531 by D. R., on Flickr

20170826_122950 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 07-06-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I just eyeballed mine to fit but I also have the breeze lower radiator pipe system not the FFR ripple pipe.

I also used the lower support package, don't remember who I bought it from & the Breeze upper panel (not in the picture) to seal the opening against the body
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin - do you know what angle you set your radiator at ?

I'll have to look into the lower radiator hose option from Breeze.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Hi all,

I am contemplating using Mike Everson's radiator panel on my build http://www.replicaparts.com/Roadster...nel%20page.htm

The suggested radiator angle is 58deg. (vs 51 deg. for the standard install). When I mocked up the placement I noticed the lower radiator outlet is very (too) close to the frame (tow hook).

For those that used Mike's panel, I was looking for some suggestions on how to you addressed (special hose, altered the panel). I would prefer not to have to alter the frame.

Thanks in advance.
    I just bought one for my MKIV 8687. I have the task of installing it on a completed car. Should be here in a week or so and I will post pics for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin - do you know what angle you set your radiator at ?

I'll have to look into the lower radiator hose option from Breeze.
    No I never measured it. Just clamped it all it & locked it down when it fit.

Just saw the picture in the thread that AC Bill posted. Mine is the same its the Breeze Lower Hose. Good clearance & no pop-off issues like with the corrugated unit. On the COYOTE my upper hose in an F150 piece when equipped with the COYOTE engine.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-07-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an old issue that others have had to deal with. Here is a couple of suggestions for the fix..

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...l-not-fit.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gmagno, I look forward to seeing your solution.

Thanks Kevin

Thanks AC Bill. I will have a look

Post Thanks / Like
    I got Mike Everson's radiator panel and tried to install it but failed. My radiator is at 58 degrees with the Breeze lower support, I measured a bunch of times, even used some poster board paper to get the fit just right but I couldn't get the aluminum in there. I ended up getting it stuck at one point and bent some fins on the radiator then got frustrated and had to completely fold it up to get it out ruining it. I ended up making side and floor panels with 0.40 aluminum and found I like that better. Then I had to straighten the radiator fins out, what a pain..

I'm guessing the Everson panel is ideal prior to the body mount as seen in the pictures posted but I just don't know. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a Dremel with a grinding wheel to take about 1/4" - 1/2" off the tow hook. To get the maximum bend into the F5-provided hose, I put one end in a vise and then bent it over using both hands and no gentleness whatsoever. And to make sure the rubber adapters don't pop off, I put three 3/16" rivets in the metal hose.

John

IMG_3481 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_3443 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    mlewis (and DavidW),

I went a different route, in that I used the existing FFR lower rad pieces, and then made a stainless steel insert shroud that I put in after the fact. Why stainless? Because it can be rolled up and unfurled inside the nose. These pics tell the story:

Standard metal, powdercoated and installed along with lower breeze rad support for adjustability:

I made lots of paper, and then corrugated metal template designs(and corresponding scrap), getting the shape right:

The final shape. (MKIII is different than MKIV):

This is the good part, the install. Just roll it up...:

Place in the opening and with just a little coaxing it will "spring" into it's place. :

Then I used one rivet on each side and 3 in the front to hold it in place:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That SS insert is 'trick" David. What a great relatively easy winter project idea. Is the SS sheet corrugated from the supplier?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, David Hodgkins I like this solution for sure.

What gauge SS did you use ?

Did you follow the position (angle) of the radiator per the standard install (51 deg.) ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Everson's piece, installed after body was on, adjusted radiator to fit. My lower hose (kit supplied) sits on top of the tow hook, I ziptied it in place to the tow hook, no issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to contact Mike Everson. I've sent him 2 emails from his site requesting a quote for shipping on his radiator panel per instructions on his site, no response yet.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Cruz. Very busy. I will respond today.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. I suspected you were pretty busy. I've answered your email.
    JRcuz
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint