FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Emissions in Maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Emissions in Maryland

Who has gone through the Emission testing in Maryland lately?

I went to the emissions station the other day and they didn't have any idea what to do so they gave me an extension until December. When I got the VIN plate attached by the Maryland State Police they told me kit cars would be exempt but I didn't do any research or confirmation. I just looked it up online and found this info and it doesn't say anything about kit cars.

Emissions Exemptions
    Vehicles registered in 13 out of Maryland’s 18 counties and the city of Baltimore are required to undergo
    biennial emissions testing. OBD testing is performed on vehicles MY 1996 and newer and an idle tailpipe
    and gas cap test is administered on MY 1977-1995 vehicles.
    Diesel Vehicles:
    Diesel vehicles are not tested for emissions.
    Exemptions:
    1. New vehicles for the newest two (2) MYs
    2. Pre-1977 MY vehicles
    3. Vehicles with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs
    4. Vehicles driven by a senior citizen (over 70 years) or a physically challenged person that are not driven
    for more than 5000 miles in a year, for which a waiver application has been submitted to the VEIP
    5. Vehicles registered as Class L historic vehicles
    6. Vehicles registered as Class N street rod vehicles

From Code of Maryland Regulations:
    TITLE 11. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    SUBTITLE 14. MOTOR VEHICLE ADMINISTRATION--VEHICLE INSPECTIONS
    CHAPTER 08. VEHICLE EMISSIONS INSPECTION PROGRAM
    COMAR 11.14.08.04 (2016)
    .04 Exemptions.
    A. The vehicles in § B of this regulation are exempt from the provisions of this chapter.
    B. Exempt vehicles include the following vehicles:
    (1) Before October 1, 2012, a qualified hybrid vehicle;
    (2) A zero-emission vehicle;
    (3) A fire or rescue apparatus or ambulance, owned or leased by a state or local government, by a rescue
    squad, or by a volunteer fire or ambulance company, registered as an emergency vehicle as defined
    in Transportation Article, § 11-118, Annotated Code of Maryland;
    (4) A motorcycle registered as a Class D motorcycle;
    (5) Registered as a Class E truck with a registered gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds;
    (6) Registered as a Class E farm truck;
    (7) Registered as a Class F truck tractor;
    (8) Registered as a Class F farm truck tractor;
    (9) Registered as a Class H school vehicle;
    (10) Registered as a Class K farm area vehicle;
    (11) Registered as a Class L historic vehicle;
    (12) Registered as a Class N street rod vehicle;
    (13) Registered as a Class P passenger bus;
    (14) Not self-propelled;
    (15) Powered solely by electricity or diesel fuel;
    (16) Of a model year earlier than 1977; or
    (17) A military vehicle owned by the federal government and used for tactical, combat, or relief
    operations, or for training for these operations.
    Last edited by DavidW; 07-06-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I understand, and I havent done it yet...

Once titled and tagged, you'll get a notification in the mail to emissions test. Same blue & white notice we get for all of our cars. Once you have the notice, you do have to put the car through the test. They should test it just like any other. All the info is on the notice to test.

Once tested, and failed, call Ira Cox, he's the manager of the VEIP program. The way I understand it, the car needs to be in the system, hence proceeding with the test even if it will fail. Once you call him, I understand he issues an lifetime emissions exemption certificate. His number is 410-762-5051. See this link

I've gotten all this info through the forums for the Cap Area Cobra Club and several blogs. Gary Luisi recently went through this and he said it works exactly that way... call him and get the waiver.

Good Luck!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did it a year ago. Ira has retired and I worked with a woman whose name I don’t have. I went to the local emissions test station and they had me do the paperwork for a waiver. No test involved. I ended up with what appears to be a 2 year waiver for an “LMV” which I assume is a low mileage vehicle. She said I would get a notice in 2019 for a mileage check. I didn’t follow up or push back since I don’t plan on being in MD by the time the check is due.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Call (410) 768- 7000 I think ex 3.
    Bill3422

MK4 - 302/347 Stroker - AFR Heads - 400 Hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey David, so my information is way out of date. Confirmed Ira Cox has retired.

Talked at length with Gary L., who just went through this with his Coyote ride. He says there is a form you have to get from a VEIP station and take that to the MVA. He says it was an easy process and as soon as they see "kit car" they stamp it and off you go.

Sorry about the old, misguided info earlier.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Hey David, so my information is way out of date. Confirmed Ira Cox has retired.

Talked at length with Gary L., who just went through this with his Coyote ride. He says there is a form you have to get from a VEIP station and take that to the MVA. He says it was an easy process and as soon as they see "kit car" they stamp it and off you go.

Sorry about the old, misguided info earlier.
    Awesome, now I need to get the form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I went to the Howard County VEIP stations and they didn't know of any form. They did the same thing the other VEIP station did and called the MVA, took my number and said someone would call me in 24 hours. I told them that's what they said last week after giving me an extension until December.....I guess I'm just going to wait to get a call.

8. Thanks tkudog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, man... I tried. Keep us up to date as to how it goes.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, man... I tried. Keep us up to date as to how it goes.
    No worries, I'll keep you posted for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never received a call from VEIP or MVA but got this in the mail Saturday, July 14th. I guess it means when I get another emissions due notice in the mail I take this to the VEIP station show it to them and I'm exempt.

12. Likes Boydster, tkudog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yay!!!! Hey Dave, let me know when you're doing C&C in Annapolis again and I'll come meet ya...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    Yay!!!! Hey Dave, let me know when you're doing C&C in Annapolis again and I'll come meet ya...
    Okay will do, it'll probably be the 29th but I'll send you a PM and confirm. I was at the car show this past Saturday night at the Annapolis Fuddruckers/Wells Fargo parking lot, there were a lot of nice cars there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Okay will do, it'll probably be the 29th but I'll send you a PM and confirm. I was at the car show this past Saturday night at the Annapolis Fuddruckers/Wells Fargo parking lot, there were a lot of nice cars there.
    Excellent. Look forward to it.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us

Post Thanks / Like
    MD MVA Special Vehicle Exemption Form.JPG
    My story: I have a Factory 5 that says KIT 2013 on the registration. I went to VEIP at PG North today, which is only a VEIP station. I went when the lines were empty (Friday 0930). Much confusion at the bay as they tried to figure out what to do. Several other workers came over to gawk at the car and try and see how to handle it in the computer. Finally she gave up and called in 'the engineer', who took my registration and vanished. 5 minutes later I was called around to the office where he had me fill out the MD MVA Special Vehicle Exemption Certification, see attached. He said the 'MVA guy' comes around every week to collect stuff and I should expect a call next week. He said they would 'probably issue me an exemption' since the bays can't handle the car. Will update later if there are any developments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday (21 Sept) I got a call from the MD Emissions guy who said he had approved my exemption and I would be getting it in the mail. Will update later if there are any developments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure would be nice if all this were disseminated through the ranks so it would be simple for everyone at each station but...it's the gov. Unfortunately it seems there is some weird story from almost every state. I used to be in Md when Ira was still working and it was pretty simple then. Moved to Va and it was a problem because my FFR was a 2005 based on the rules in Ga when the original builder titled it. Took a bunch of work but I finally got it resolved. Of course the man who solved it for me retired 2 yrs later so who knows how it would go now.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    And yesterday the exemption came in the mail. (4 Oct)