FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Placed my Order

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Placed my Order

Finally placed my order for a Mark IV Complete Kit on 7/5/18. Order scheduled to be completed 8/18/18. I'm waiting for a quote from Stewarts to see if I will pick it up or have it delivered. By chance 8/18/18 is move in day for my oldest son as he starts his freshman year at Clemson, so delivery may be the best option. My plan is to use the car for local cruising with maybe some autocross. Not planning on long distances nor serious track time. So here is what I ordered:

Complete Kit
    Powder coating
    IRS
    351 mounts and headers (likely going with 427 w/EFI)
    Body cut outs
    Leather seats
    Power steering
    Vintage gauges
    15" wheels
    Stainless side pipes
    Wind Wings
    Sun visors
    Wipers
    Front & Rear sway bar
    Brake duct wire mesh
    Battery cut off
    Heater/defroster
    EFI intank fuel system
    Chrome rollbars (D & P)
    Rollbar grommets
    Assembled louvers
    Center dash support
    IRS Center section 3.55

Other options:
    Gordon Levy Wilwood Brakes for 15" wheels and IRS.

Still have garage cleaning and body buck assembly prior to delivery (unless someone in the Tidewater area has a spare body buck). Can't wait for arrival.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a forum member on here "philleas fogg" who had his body buck to give away last week. I don't know if he has given it away yet. He is in Fairfax, Va.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

3. Thanks gkp200 thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    From Slidell Louisiana @ Camp Granny:

> Welcome Aboard!
    > A great journey is about to begin.
    > Order a hard copy of the manual on Monday and read it as quickly as you can, then read it again.
    > It will really help you get familiar with the parts so that you can tackle the inventory process.
    > Again, Welcome Aboard!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-07-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    There is a forum member on here "philleas fogg" who had his body buck to give away last week. I don't know if he has given it away yet. He is in Fairfax, Va.
    JR
    Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how I could transport it that distance since it is 7' wide. Have to research wide trailers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. Sounds like a solid build plan. The forum members are incredibly helpful and generous with their time and experience. Helped me tremendously. Can’t wait to follow along with your progress.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gkp200 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Not sure how I could transport it that distance since it is 7' wide. Have to research wide trailers.
    Side panels are less than 4 feet in height, so will fit in most cars if taken apart and put in length wise. My newly cut pieces fit into Chevy Equinox with ease...
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    OK we finished the body buck over the weekend. Great small project for the boys and me. I still need more posts before I can post pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Tire recommendations

So I'm going with 15" tires. What tires/sizes are best? I looked at the AVON CR6ZZ, WOW they are pricey! Are they that good ($450+ each)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I'm going with 15" tires. What tires/sizes are best? I looked at the AVON CR6ZZ, WOW they are pricey! Are they that good ($450+ each)?
    If you are going for that period correct look, then the Avon's are pretty much it, but you are going to pay handsomely.
    If you are looking at BFG's or Cooper Cobra's then it seems that most folks go with 235/60-15's up front with 295/50-15's out back.
    In an attempt to get some sidewall on my build, steering clear of the 15's, I went with 245/45-17's up front with 285/40-17's out back.

Good Luck!

11. Thanks gkp200 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!! Excited for you!

I have Cooper Cobras on my 15" wheels.

235/60 on front $98 ea
    275/60 on rear $113 ea

My set of tires cost the same as (1) of the AVON CR6ZZ tires. If you do get those (or any) tires, I suggest you wait until the build is near completion so that you have fresh rubber when you drive.

2018-07-11_09-06-06 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

13. Thanks gkp200 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not sure if the Avons are DOT legal. Another option are these;
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s.../sportsman-s-r
    Front = 26x10
    Rear = 26x12
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on your order!!!

You mention autocross, good idea by the way.

I am trying to think of a way to say this without stepping on toes, but it needs to be said. Don't put tires on an FFR that are not up to the cars capabilities. You are putting in a 427 and putting serious brakes on. You need serious tires. Tires are the single most important component of a cars suspension, braking distance included.

16. Thanks gkp200 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

I am trying to think of a way to say this without stepping on toes, but it needs to be said. Don't put tires on an FFR that are not up to the cars capabilities. You are putting in a 427 and putting serious brakes on. You need serious tires. Tires are the single most important component of a cars suspension, braking distance included.
    Wise advice.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post

I have very few miles on my EFI 427W Go-Cart. But it has had the rear tires broken loose and this thing fishtails quickly and aggressively. I'm running 315 NT-05 Nitto's (200 treadwear) on the rear and they will take some pretty serious power before they break loose, but when they do, she goes big time. By the same token, when ya let off, she snaps back in line quick and hard. Mind, this was just running around my neighborhood.

I agree with Avalanche... invest in the best performance tires you can find.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As the other members have stated, a tire up to the task is needed.

I put Nitto 555's on my car because I loved them on my old 1995 6-Speed Corvette, but the same exact tire (Make Model & Size) goes go into wheel spin at or about Half (1/2) Throttle if you push the go pedal down quickly. If you watch the attached video near the end, and slow it down to a bit, you'll actually hear me "Pedal" my Go-Kart a few times in an attempt to plant the tires.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

I wish I would have gone with the Nitto 555-R's (Drag Radial) or maybe their NT01's (Road Race Tire) instead.

https://www.nittotire.com/competition-tires/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-26-2018 at 05:55 AM.

20. Thanks gkp200 thanked for this post