FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wipers are slipping....

Post Thanks / Like

wipers are slipping....

I have an almost completed car.

I installed the wiper kit but they are slipping on the motors.... it is like the teeth are not enough grip....
    Appears to be very mickey mouse...

any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can tighten the gear boxes with a pair of large channel locks, thats where they can slip.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they can be finicky. The common place they slip is the engagement between the cable and the gear in the wheel boxes. As Walt said, adjust the wheel boxes. With a large pair of pliers, channel locks, hammer (!!), whatever seems appropriate, adjust the loops on each side of the wheel boxes so the cable can't slip away from the gear. But not so tight to cause undo drag. When you're all done, make sure the cables, tubes, and gears are packed with grease. White lithium is often used. You probably don't want to hear this, but many (myself included) after a lot of unsuccessful messing around have solved the problem with wheel boxes from **********. They're higher quality and actually make the wipers work pretty well. They'll never be really great just because the blade is so short and the sweep isn't real wide. Exactly like the 60's vintage Lucas wipers they're replicating.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a reminder, don’t try to run them on a dry windscreen. Put paper towels under them, or wet the windscreen. Like EdwardB says, they can be made to work well. I did swap wheel boxes to get a larger swept area.

Persistence will pay off

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been an ongoing problem with this vintage type wiper system for 10+ years.

Back when I built mine, the first mod you did to the supplied wheel-boxes, was to get rid of the rivet type screws that pinch the cable retaining tabs to the box. Drill out and replace them with machine screws and nuts. There are multiple threads on fine tuning these darn things on the FFCars.Com forum.
    Here is a simple set of instructions from ERA, that gives you a few hints, on what might be needed.
    http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/wiper/index.htm