Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Declaring success: New SBF w/ FiTech EFI hesitation/sputtering problem solved!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get back to basics... Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow. If your have fuel, compression, and ignition at the correct time there is nothing that'll stop it from running.

(Lets clarify something for those that may not know this - there is no designated "#1" terminal on the distributor. You can make any terminal #1, as long as you index that terminal (while installing the distributor) to the compression stroke TDC on #1 Cylinder - and follow the correct firing order afterward.
    This may be needed to gain timing "swing" on the distributor if the vacuum advance can or something is hitting something)

From your description, it sounds like it wants to run - and you may have a combination problem - fuel and timing/ignition.

I see you're running a Weiand dual plane. Do you have access to a known, working 4bbl carburetor, with the mixture & idle already set/known?
    Pull the EFI throttle body off, bolt the carb on, and rig it up with an "IV gravity" feed fuel bottle.

Get the engine fired and running with this setup.
    Eliminate the "what if's" of the EFI system. Once running you can set your initial timing, and eliminate every other question listed above. When you can get the engine to start, shut off, and run at your command, you now have a new baseline to work from.

Now throw the variables of the EFI system at it.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

2. Thanks Cobradavid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    On my 302, I initially went with the 302 HO firing order. It started but ran very rough on 4 cylinders. I double checked and found that my new cam needed the older 289/302 firing order. Worth checking th literature that came with your cam (cam card). Good luck
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

4. Thanks Cobradavid thanked for this post