Quote Originally Posted by PeteMeindl View Post
We have a couple questions:
- When looking at other build threads, we don't often see a frame extension sticking towards where the driver sits where you mount the pillow block that far back (as you see in the above picture). It looks like FF drilled holes for the pillow block at the far end of the bracket. Should we move the placement of the pillow block further towards the front of the car and drill some new holes or just keep it where it is? It just seems like most of the time people mount this pillow block further forward. Either way, we'll need to add a decent sized spacer to raise the pillow block enough to keep the steering shaft off of the frame - I think this is ok, right?
- In the manual, it mentions to use threadlocker on the steering shaft but we weren't quite sure where - where do you guys use threadlocker on the steering shaft?
A year or so ago (plus or minus) Factory Five redesigned the upper steering column mount to the longer version you have. This is the best picture I could find of the old version. Zoom in and you can see it. I'd be willing to bet that many build threads you're looking at have this older version, hence the confusion.

Looks like the pictures in even the newest build manual are also still the older version. Although I haven't built with it, I've seen where others have reported the steering shaft hitting exactly like what's happening with yours. Many use the Russ Thompson turn signal assembly, which he has re-designed so it works with the new mount. Using it spaces the column up so it doesn't hit. If you're not using his mount, then add a spacer on each side of the bearing high enough to not interfere with the chassis.

Probably they're talking about thread locker on the set screws on the upper and lower bearings. I wouldn't be in a hurry. You may end up with the steering shaft in and out a couple times before you're done. I always seem to.

Edit: cv2065 posted a similar explanation at the same time as me. At least we agree.