Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Start Problem

Post Thanks / Like

First Start Problem

I have a 1998 Cobra 4.6 DOHC engine on 8740 with a dieted harness by Art Cuesta (he has been very helpful) and a Ron Francis chassis harness. When I tried starting the first time, the engine turned over nicely, I could hear the fuel pump prime, and all the gauges worked fine but the engine would not start. Fuel was not making it to the engine. I replaced the fuel pump assembly but again no start. I remove the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel filter and it is perfectly clear. I reinstalled the line and tried to pump gas into a bottle from the end of this line. No go. I have a little less than half a tank of gas according to the gas gauge. The inertia switch is OK and the fuel relay is OK. Any idea why the no start?

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you have pressure there, your injectors are not receiving a signal to pulse.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you have pressure there, your injectors are not receiving a signal to pulse.
    I haven’t put a gauge there but I have pressed it and there is no pressure or fuel there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Need to go all the way back to the pump and work forward. A new line from the pump to a container, should tell you something. Be careful with gasoline under pressure.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joe! Sorry to hear you're having troubles. So let me clarify. You heard the fuel pump prime, but no fuel. New fuel pump. Does it still prime now? With a new fuel system it may take a fuel "primes" to get fuel up to the injectors. See if you're getting power to the fuel pump out of the relay. Start with fuses and a known good relay for the fuel pump. Could be something simple. Let us know.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2022 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I hear the new fuel pump prime but it doesn’t even pump fuel into a bottle before the fuel filter. The fuel pump relay checks out OK and the inertia switch checks out OK as well. Could it be insufficient fuel in the tank? I have about 20 litres or about 5 US gallons in there now.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure was something simple...and embarrassing! I reversed the wiring to the pump and the engine started. I’ll have to back track to see where the error in the wiring was made. Thanks for the input.