Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trouble codes...Big deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Trouble codes...Big deal?

I borrowed the battery from my Hyundai this morning. Got power to the cluster, which was nice. Door chime rang a lot...not so nice. I haven't dieted anything except some of the airbag stuff, but I unplugged some of the stuff that went to the hatch as well as some of the radio junk.

I still need plugs/oil/water/intercooler pipes/etc, but I wanted to pull codes and see what I got.

P2016 - TGV
    P2021 - TGV
    P2008 - TGV
    P2011 - TGV
    P2433 - Air Pump

I also still need to hook up the rear O2/neutral/speed/reverse on the trans (which I need to extend, at least temporarily). Will any of these codes push me into limp mode? If nobody knows off-hand, can someone direct me to which section of the manual has these? I remember seeing them, but can't find it.

Aside from -and including- the above, any reason NOT to turn the key? I'd rather not start a new engine just to hear it run, but I need to know before I tear the harness apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've seen TGV deletes claimed to have no limp mode (romraider forum), and limp mode associated with them (NASIOC). Not sure which I trust the most, but it seems that the largest consequence is not being able to rev over 4500RPMs. My stones aren't that big anyway. I wouldn't expect the air pump to make a problem anyway. Wish me luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After looking through the Subaru diagnostics manual, they don't clearly outline all the possible causes for "Limp mode". Technically they don't acknowledge the mode at all. As long as the engine isn't reporting misfires once started it should be fine to let run. But if you're only running as a test/check of functionality you wouldn't even notice it being in limp mode. It only reduces max boost psi, retards timing, and enriches fuel/air mixture but wouldn't effect idle noticeably.

Post Thanks / Like
    You shouldn't have any issues running the engine. I deleted my TGV's and disabled the codes and engine runs fine. Mine is an 02 wrx so I can't speak for the air pump related code but I've heard people delete those things too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    You shouldn't have any issues running the engine. I deleted my TGV's and disabled the codes and engine runs fine. Mine is an 02 wrx so I can't speak for the air pump related code but I've heard people delete those things too.
    I have both TGVs and air pump deleted. Codes disabled. Runs fine and no issues with MA state inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I haven't deleted codes though. Stock ecu as far as I can tell. I just want to hear my engine idle and rev to 2k before I tear the harness apart. Bought the donor with a bent valve, shredded timing belt, not running. Complete engine rebuild, and if it doesn't fire up after dieting the harness, i only want one variable to blame.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be fine - engine will still run with those codes. The codes are not "deleted" but rather disabled; the ECU will still recognize that you don't have any TGV's or air pump but will not report that to an engine scanner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    After looking through the Subaru diagnostics manual, they don't clearly outline all the possible causes for "Limp mode". Technically they don't acknowledge the mode at all. As long as the engine isn't reporting misfires once started it should be fine to let run. But if you're only running as a test/check of functionality you wouldn't even notice it being in limp mode. It only reduces max boost psi, retards timing, and enriches fuel/air mixture but wouldn't effect idle noticeably.
    OBD2 is advanced and car run more diagnostics on your car click here to read more
    I also checked the diagnostics manual but they don't have detail instruction. I think deleted TGV's and disabled the codes
    Last edited by harveyspecter1209; 07-06-2019 at 07:58 AM.