Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedo sending unit

Post Thanks / Like

Speedo sending unit

Howdy,

I have the older style non GPS speedometer and it doesn't seem to be getting pulses from the sending unit. Since I installed this quite some time ago my memory is fuzzy. Does the Ron Francis harness plug directly into the sending unit? The instructions show a pigtail connector so now I'm second guessing myself. The Ron Francis connector seems to plug in but the locking features don't engage. Transmission is the tko-600.

All the other connections seem good. Ran the calibration routine twice still nothing...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, The RF is a direct plug in. Did you put the gear on the end of the sender?
    Mike

3. Thanks cnutting thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The TKO has two sender options. An external sender on the LH side. Typically this one is used if you have an older style cable driven speedo. If that's the one you're using, then it does require a gear as Mike mentioned. There is an internal sender on the RH side. That's the one I'd recommend. The RF connector should attach to it directly. The most common cause of not receiving the signal at the speedo is wiring. Used to be talked about alot before GPS become so common. The circuit needs to be grounded.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks cnutting thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips.

I "believe" that I connected the gear, but then again I believed in the Easter Bunny at one point in my life. Possible that I overlooked it.

Found a dodgy ground connection that I reworked. Still nothing. But, got a nice early evening cruise in the car, so it wasn't a total wash. Propped my cell phone on the dash support ledge and ran with GPS. I may be using this method more often than not since the FIA dash has the speedo in front of the passenger and is tough to see from the driver's side. I can tell people that it doesn't work since I am being period correct...

My next attempt will be to change to the internal sender, but to do that I will need to remove my Metco loop and reroute the cabling in the transmission tunnel. That's a project that will need to wait for me to carve out some time to work through methodically and not cause another issue. Another option may be to just convert to a GPS gauge and call it a day. I sent a message to SpeedHut to see what my options are there.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a sending unit connect it to the plug on the wiring harness and with the key on spin the gear on the sending unit the speedo should move if the wiring is correct

Good luck

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedhut will do it for around $100.00 I vote you go that way. I have extra sending units if you need one.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided that the best approach was to convert the gauge to GPS. Shipped it out yesterday, I'll use my phone until it gets back. They said about a week.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link