FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Misc Engine Component Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Misc Engine Component Help

So I'm trying to wrap up my engine build but I'm hitting a wall because I don't even know what exactly I'm trying to wrap up. It seems further I get, there's just more brackets, hoses, and connectors to put on. I need some help identifying a few electrical connectors, coolant pipes, and intake ports.

Hopefully a few of you guys with Subaru backgrounds can help me figure out how these work. I've tried the Subaru parts diagrams for some items but they have an annoying tendency to not show the whole system. My donor car was also missing a TON of these components for PCV and such so I'm working from nothing on that end and I have a hard time trusting any setup that was previously on the engine.

Picture #1: I have this solenoid valve that I'm not sure what it mounts to or what it does. The connector connects to a plug on the front of the engine harness but that doesn't necessarily mean it goes here. I also have this very small single wire gray plug for something here.
    Front Small Connector and Solenoid.jpg

Picture #2: Where is the plug for this PCV hose? I'm really not even sure what this connector is for.
    PCV Connector.jpg

Picture #3: I have an unidentified electrical connector near the throttle body but nothing within reach to plug it into. I think I may have a sensor missing on the top of the engine block but I have a better picture of the location in pic #4. Knock sensor perhaps? There's also these two small coolant lines, do they connect to each other as a sort of crossover?
    Rear Electrical plug and small coolant connectors.jpg

Picture #4: Here is the location of what looks like a sensor port. I have it plugged with a bolt at the moment. It doesn't seem like it has an oil passage or anything but it has a machined flush mounting surface. Also, do these large coolant line ends go to the heater core? The FFR manual shows two lines very close to each other but mine are about a foot apart.
    Heater pipe and possible engine sensor.jpg

Picture #5: Where does this small coolant connection go on the front of the engine? My donor had it capped like this and I can't think of anything it'd go to nearby.
    Front small coolant connector.jpg

Picture #6: What does this port on the turbo inlet connect to?
    Turbo inlet connector.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture one is a purge solenoid

3. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1. That's the purge control solenoid for the emission system. You can remove it and plug the barb on the intake manifold unless you plan on re-implementing the entire factory emission control system. The gray connector goes to the power steering pump.

#2. To help identify that connector, it would be good to know what year and model engine you have. Looks like a connector that plugs into the air intake on the later engines.

#3. Knock sensor would also be my guess. Yes, connect those two hoses.

#4. Tough to see in the photo but that could be the mounting location for the knock sensor. Yes, those are the heater core lines (the parts are swap-able). On some model subarus they are far apart like that and on some, close together as FFR depicts. If you wanted to remove the intake manifold, you could replace that aluminum coolant crossover on the top of the engine with one that puts the lines closer.

#5. Not sure about that one, again, it would be good to know what the motor came out of. That may have been capped from the factory on manual transmission cars since autos sometimes have a trans fluid cooler. It's probably ok to leave it capped.

#6. Here's a useful link for identifying hoses:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2614458
    This hose can provide vacuum for the boost control solenoid or vacuum for an air/oil separator, catch can.

5. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the help!

The reason why I refrained from giving the engine year is because it's really a mixture of everything at this point. It's a hybrid swap that I've rebuilt. The donor was a 2004 WRX so some components are from that. The wiring harness is 2005 WRX. I bought the PCV pieces new. The TGV and fuel system is 2005 STi.

Post Thanks / Like
    That capped coolant line might have gone to the radiator at some point. Mine had a crossover metal pipe that went from that general area across the engine bay to the radiator.

Picture 1 goes to the back of the power steering pump.

The knock sensor plugs into the cord under the intake, so if that plug in pic 3 goes to the engine cord, then you've solved BOTH of those problems.

The two spouts off your coolant line (that probably goes to the heater core) might be the ones that go to the throttle body.

Electrical connector on the PCV goes to a plug that comes out of the engine cord on the right side of the engine. Same place the two bulkhead connectors and one of the tgv connectors come out.

Gimme some more.

8. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I confirmed that those coolant pipe ends do indeed go to the throttle body and do not loop together.

If picture 1 is power steering than it simply gets left unplugged?

I don't have another plug for the PCV on my engine harness so maybe 05 WRX just didn't have it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be. Mine is 06. I'll load a pic as soon as I get out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    FormatFactory20180710_182027.jpg
    You can't really see where the wires come out of the engine harness, but it's right under that coolant hose, where the corrugated protector comes out and up to the grey bulkhead connector. So if you got something different, well, you got something different!!

And by the way, thanks for starting this thread. Digging around in there, I realized I totally forgot to deal with the coolant pipe that goes up to the throttle body, so I would have put coolant EVERYWHERE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    And by the way, thanks for starting this thread. Digging around in there, I realized I totally forgot to deal with the coolant pipe that goes up to the throttle body, so I would have put coolant EVERYWHERE.
    Ha! Well I'm glad you got something in return for helping me out . I will look again this weekend, but I don't have any unplugged connectors outside of the ones I posted as far as I know. Maybe it's just a model year quirk after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of modders delete the throttle body heater "coolant" connection and bypass the throttle body. The idea being the "coolant" lines are there to heat up the throttle body for extreme cold weather driving to avoid icing. I can't imagine many 818s being driven in sub zero temps. I've cut the connections off every race Subaru I've owned.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As another engine component question, where do people mount their boost control solenoid since the OEM setup is a bracket attached to the shock tower?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nothing on the boost control solenoid? I'm sure I can find a a way to bolt it onto the manifold or something similar but wondering if there was a common way to secure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I attached mine to the side of the upper frame rail like so:
    ebcs.jpg
    It's an aftermarket grimmspeed EBCS

17. Thanks lsfourwheeler thanked for this post
    fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lsfourwheeler View Post
    Nothing on the boost control solenoid? I'm sure I can find a a way to bolt it onto the manifold or something similar but wondering if there was a common way to secure it.
    thats what subaru did on the newer models
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.