Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 02 wrx to LGT trans axel difference?

Post Thanks / Like

02 wrx to LGT trans axel difference?

Good evening,
    My 210k 02 donor transmission is on it's last leg. I have 09 (canbus not an issue) LGT trans available. I know I need the male axle stubs o. The trans mission side, would I need new axles from FFR as well or can I remove the female stubs and put male stubs on the ones I currently have for the 02 trans.

Respectfully,

John

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be able to put the male stubs in the LGT transmission.

You would need to change the diff side seals as well though. The male and female side diff seals are different sizes.

Other than that it should be fine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssly View Post
    You should be able to put the male stubs in the LGT transmission.
    That's easier said then done lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    After re reading my post and noticing my poor description of the issue I am going to take another whack at it. So my 02 trans uses female CV axles as the diff has the male stubs. The 09 uses male CV axles as the diff does not have the stubs. I have complete axles for the 02 which have the female end on the trans side of the axel. Can I dissasemble the axles trans side and put male stubs on it or are the splines/length different and I would need to purchase the axles from FFR.

The other less desirable option would be to swap diffs from 02 to 09 which beyond splitting the case would also require chnging the ring gear or swaping pinions setting back lash and replacing bearings.

Post Thanks / Like
    The male and female CV ends are not swapable. The axles have different spline counts. At least the set I tried to do this with a couple weeks ago were.

The male stubs that come out of the center diff are removable. They are not part of the the center diff. They are just held in with c-clips. So no need to swap diffs. Just remove the stubs and change the seals.

This does require opening the transmission. But as long as you mark the side covers well and count the number of turns to get them out, you don't have to redo the backlash if all you do is remove the stubs and change seals.
    Last edited by ssssly; 07-18-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it pull the diff pin remove spider gears and c clips on stubs put them in the LGT trans diff. Thank you.