Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Low Back Seats... unimpressive lateral support

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Low Back Seats... unimpressive lateral support

Like a good many of us, I very much prefer the look of the classic low-back roadster seat. So.. that's what I have in my MK4.
    In my other car, a small sporty AWD Subaru Impreza, I have a low-cost, but comfy Corbeau CR1. Pretty nice lateral support.
    Needless to say, I've grown quite fond of not having to fight the G-Forces with the steering wheel and my knees in sharp corners.
    I'm really unimpressed with how poor the low-back seats hold you. Sure.. I'll grant they were not really intended to be a race seat. but.. none the less.
    It's starting to kinda get on my nerves. I also don't like driving on the street with the 5-pt harness cranked down tight.. I like to be able to look over my shoulder.

So.. I'm asking for options.. reasonable priced options.. my build is a pretty strict budget build. I'm trying to avoid buying Sparco or Bride seats.
    Is there anything that can be done to these F5 low back seats?
    Do I need to decide... do I want the Low Back Look? Or the High-Back performance?

I just remembered.. another small issue with the low back seats, how high I sit in the cockpit. (I'm 6'0").
    My eye level is not far below the top of the windshield.

The other day, I contemplated snagging one of these ProCar seats.. since it's only $140 shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Procar-80-1...r/132475400050

For that price I think I can afford an experiment.. see if it fit, how it looks.. how it feels. If I hate it, I'm sure I could get back 1/2 - 3/4 my cost on Craigslist.
    Plus.. being cloth, might help with the 101F Texas Days.
    Anybody played with those before? I saw that Gordon Levy once sold them.

Perhaps it's time I let Function win over form? and re-think the High-Back seat?
    Anybody have a decent high-back seat in their Mk4 they like?
    I found a surprising lack of good photos of roadsters with high-backs.

*edit*
    Forgot to add.. I need something good for 3-4 hour road-trips with the Wife too. Something the F5 seats do quite well in fact.
    Last edited by skidd; 07-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |