Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with fusebox and wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Help with fusebox and wiring

Hi everyone,

If possible, please post your fusebox pictures. We hit a really weird issue with wiring and can’t rule out a possibility there’s something wrong with our fuse box. The issue is that when we have an ignition key in neutral or accessory mode, and both turn signal and hazard flashers on, fuel pump starts pulsing, along with dash gauges. Really bizarre, and spending an hour on the phone with RF harness person didn’t lead to solving the issue.

So like I said, since we checked all wiring, our current suspect is a fuse box, although I can't rule out some issues in RF harness plugs. At this I'm considering getting help from a Mark — traveling builder — but before I do that, I want to make sure we did everything we could from our side.

Here are some pictures of our fuze box, let me know if you see any potential issues:
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7700.jpeg
    IMG_7702.jpg
    IMG_7701.jpg
    Last edited by alexmak; 06-04-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your battery. If it's almost dead, this will happen
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    Check your battery. If it's almost dead, this will happen
    I think it started acting weirdly when a battery was freshly charged, but at this point we’ll take any advice and will charge it now. thank you
    Build thread
    FFR mk4 roadster complete kit, 347 cu in carbed BluePrint engine, TKO600, IRS, power steering, ordered Jan2020, delivered 3/25/20, titled 8/23/20, finished 07/17/2021, graduated 10/06/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I think A car I had did the same thing when the charger was hooked up Went away after that. Check your grounds as well.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's not a drained battery or charger interference you may have a couple Gremlins. Many do. Here's what I think after tracing down a couple similar issues with mine.

To me it sounds like you have several problems:
    You said the fuel pump "pulsed" so here's what I would consider
    1. Your fuel pump power feed at the ignition should not come on in accessory, just run. Check that wiring at the switch and consider the switch may be defective. Some are.
    2. Your fuel pump is connected to the flasher. Or rather, that flasher is feeding the fuel pump. So with ignition on, fuel pump relay should get a trigger from ignition (assuming not EFI). Then the fuel pump relay is supposed to zap the pump to get it running.
    3. Your flasher may be sitting in the wrong slot.
    4. Ron Francis put it together wrong...again.

Make sure Ron Francis did not get the wires on the panel mixed up during assembly. I had similar issue with my fuel pump and that was the cause.
    Get the wiring diagram and start tracing backward. There's only one spot that sends power directly to the pump and it shouldn't be blinking
    Consider the Obvious stuff that always gets us from time to time, like:
    Check the ignition switch wiring
    Make sure there aren't bare wires touching anything, etc.
    Grounds grounds and more grounds
    Get the RF schematic and follow the lines back from the fuel pump to the fuse panel. Make sure all the connectors/plugs are mated to the proper continuing wire.
    When you get back to the fuse panel, you might find that the panel wires themselves may not be in their proper slots.

Good luck!
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alexmak View Post
    Hi everyone,

If possible, please post your fusebox pictures. We hit a really weird issue with wiring and can’t rule out a possibility there’s something wrong with our fuse box. The issue is that when we have an ignition key in neutral or accessory mode, and both turn signal and hazard flashers on, fuel pump starts pulsing, along with dash gauges. Really bizarre, and spending an hour on the phone with RF harness person didn’t lead to solving the issue.

So like I said, since we checked all wiring, our current suspect is a fuse box, although I can't rule out some issues in RF harness plugs. At this I'm considering getting help from a Mark — traveling builder — but before I do that, I want to make sure we did everything we could from our side.

Here are some pictures of our fuze box, let me know if you see any potential issues:
    IMG_7699.jpeg
    IMG_7700.jpeg
    IMG_7702.jpg
    IMG_7701.jpg
    The directional should not have power with the key off or in neutral as you say.
    If they work with the key off, fix that first.

Next if you turn the key on, and turn on the directionals, does the fuel pump pulsate? if no, does it do it when you turn on the flashers but not the directionals?

If you disconnect the flasher switch entirely what happens?

Do you have tan wires tied together at the back of the car? the fuel pump and the running light wires are tan, but not in the same circuit. The running lights use the same ground as the directional and flasher bulbs at the back of car. you could have a back feed problem.
    d
    Do you have single taillights? is the trailer light adapter wired properly? it is tied into the wrong ran wire?

Run a separate ground jumper wire to the taillights and see what happens, sounds to me like the directionals or rear flasher are hunting for ground and finding it through the fuel pump circuit

if none of that works....

Start disconnecting stuff until you find the problem.
    I have never had a bad ignition switch.
    I would not be quick to blame Ron Francis.
    I have done around 50 cars and only ever had one problem, the taillight wires were tagged wrong.

It is possible one of these parts are to blame, but I would call it highly unlikely.
    Last edited by FFinisher; 06-04-2020 at 06:32 PM.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    FF fuse panel and relay details .pdf

Here is a detail of my fuse panel. It defiantly looks like you have something off at your fuse panel. Things I see are your single relay is feed from 2 separate fuses, one of those fuses is fed from the battery only feed. The Ron Francis harnesses do have a couple different versions so yours might be right but just different from mine. A picture of the front of your fuse panel would help. Also, are you running EFI or carb?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Engine is 347 ci carb from Blueprint. Here’s the fuse box front
    A0081DFB-7EEB-40E4-8F2C-F89B2DF2EFC3.jpg
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the back of my fuse panel. Single relay feed from fuel fuse only which gets power only with ignition on or run. It actually looks like your fuel fuse is fed from the hazard flasher feed. Look a bit closer at the back of your fuse panel to really see what is going on there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Question, you running an electric fuel pump with the carb?
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into some weird issues, too. Here are my thoughts based on my experience.
    1. Check your wiring schematic. Where do the systems that are failing interact? Why? Because I suspect you have wires connected incorrectly in places you didn't imagine. (Ask me how I know)
    2. Pulsating lighting is probably ground related. Something is feeding back through your wiring because of a bad or incorrectly connected ground. (Again, ask me how I know)

What I did: I put together a spreadsheet of what I tested and what the results were, specific to each test case. I sent that to RF tech support. They responded in a couple of hours and their guy nailed it. In my case, I just had two wires backwards. Your issue could be as simple as that (or not, can't say...)

In other words, see if you can isolate the circuits that are faulting, trace them through the schematic, and compare that to what you have connected. I thought everything was correct until I went through that exercise. You may end up with a different result, but I believe it's worth the effort.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boat737 View Post
    Question, you running an electric fuel pump with the carb?
    Yes, electric Holley pump, installed close to fuel tank, fed by two wires from rear harness that said “fuel pump”
    Build thread