Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Back Seats... unimpressive lateral support

Post Thanks / Like

Low Back Seats... unimpressive lateral support

Like a good many of us, I very much prefer the look of the classic low-back roadster seat. So.. that's what I have in my MK4.
    In my other car, a small sporty AWD Subaru Impreza, I have a low-cost, but comfy Corbeau CR1. Pretty nice lateral support.
    Needless to say, I've grown quite fond of not having to fight the G-Forces with the steering wheel and my knees in sharp corners.
    I'm really unimpressed with how poor the low-back seats hold you. Sure.. I'll grant they were not really intended to be a race seat. but.. none the less.
    It's starting to kinda get on my nerves. I also don't like driving on the street with the 5-pt harness cranked down tight.. I like to be able to look over my shoulder.

So.. I'm asking for options.. reasonable priced options.. my build is a pretty strict budget build. I'm trying to avoid buying Sparco or Bride seats.
    Is there anything that can be done to these F5 low back seats?
    Do I need to decide... do I want the Low Back Look? Or the High-Back performance?

I just remembered.. another small issue with the low back seats, how high I sit in the cockpit. (I'm 6'0").
    My eye level is not far below the top of the windshield.

The other day, I contemplated snagging one of these ProCar seats.. since it's only $140 shipped.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Procar-80-1...r/132475400050

For that price I think I can afford an experiment.. see if it fit, how it looks.. how it feels. If I hate it, I'm sure I could get back 1/2 - 3/4 my cost on Craigslist.
    Plus.. being cloth, might help with the 101F Texas Days.
    Anybody played with those before? I saw that Gordon Levy once sold them.

Perhaps it's time I let Function win over form? and re-think the High-Back seat?
    Anybody have a decent high-back seat in their Mk4 they like?
    I found a surprising lack of good photos of roadsters with high-backs.

*edit*
    Forgot to add.. I need something good for 3-4 hour road-trips with the Wife too. Something the F5 seats do quite well in fact.
    Last edited by skidd; 07-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Low back and great lateral support. Somewhere $350-400 per for the seat, cover and mounts but that may not work for the budget. Could just do the driver's seat.

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/search/...tage%20buckets

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Finding seats that you like and fit the car can be hard to do. For a reference use the Kirkey specs for the 17 inch model which generally is the largest that fits an FFR. In Jim's link click the 17 inch size and then click 'shop drawings'. Also look at the 17 inch size of this one. Ooops, I was going to go to the 47 series, which is what FFR has been supplying, but it says they have been discontinued and replaced w/ this adjustable lay back angle seat.
    https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...CE-BLACK-COVER
    Good luck
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the Kirkey low back seats - vintage looks and, if you buy the right size for your body, super lateral support. Mine are even modified somewhat with the sides cut down from original, so the stock version will have even more sever side bolstering.

The seat shells are really cheap - great pricing at Speedway Motors and other on-line retailers. As for comfort, I had a local upholstery guy do the leather covers to match the original style stitching and he layered various types of foam to fit me perfectly. While he was at it, I had him add inflatable lumbar support for both seats, as well as seat heaters. These are great for long days in the saddle - my farthest in a single day so far is around 400 miles and the noise and wind get to me long before my back or butt get tired.

Last edited by Gumball; 07-09-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I strongly suspect the Kirkey lowbacks are the (lower) basis for the 55 series pro drag seats (top part is welded on).

I am very happy with the 55 series, I may consider cutting them down to lowbacks at some point in the future.

I may also consider cutting the sides / bottoms down a little too (custom upholstery would be required).

They can be mounted where your head will be 3 - 4" lower than unmodified FFR buckets - but you'll have to work harder on getting them mounted well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys... I really don't love the look of the Kirkey stock covers.. those custom made ones on Gumballs car are pretty dang nice though. I guess I can price out a few local shops on making covers. I was kinda hoping to avoid some custom upholstery work. Let alone cutting down the sides... Which begs the question.. what's it like getting in and out of a Mk4 with a fixed-back or low back seat? I gotta admit, I'm a bit spoiled right now with the easy in/out on the stock seats.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Corbeau A4's fit the car well and more importantly will fit you well with great road course support and long road trip comfort. Sounds like you need to get down in the car a little more because of your current line-of-sight. Install the seats with the back of the seat resting on the floor, the front shimmed for comfort (12-15 degree layback) and as far back in the chassis as you can get it. In addition to my suggestions, a little trial and error will get you the result your looking for.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty pleased with the CR1 in my subaru.. so.. I'm no opposed to going with a Corbeau. I just can't seem to let go of something in teh more traditional style.

Snooping on Speedways site.. I found this for only $220.
    Looks like it might be a really decent balance of all of my concerns. And at a price with not to much risk.
    - lateral support
    - traditional look
    - lower butt height (??)
    - easy(ish) ingress and egress
    - cheap!!

thoughts?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/EMPI-...ck,294375.html

A few more $$... but looks like a better seat. Hard to tell if it's butt position is any lower though
    http://winecountrymotorsports.com/pr...roducts_id=334
    Last edited by skidd; 07-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thing you could try is taking apart the seat you have. I did this on the old fiberglass seat but not your current steel frame version. Once you get the foam exposed start cutting it away. I use one of those old electric carving knives w/ the double blade. You need very little padding in the back so you could scoop the foam out more in the center than the side edges. You could also do the bottom but you can't remove as much foam there w/o losing comfort.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know Craig.. that's something I might consider trying. Only because i doubt the resale value of the existing seats is very high. In fact, I doubt I'd be able to even sell them at all. If that's true, I'd be losing little by trying that. Though, I don't know if I even have the skills to attempt it in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post
    I'm pretty pleased with the CR1 in my subaru.. so.. I'm no opposed to going with a Corbeau. I just can't seem to let go of something in teh more traditional style.

Snooping on Speedways site.. I found this for only $220.
    Looks like it might be a really decent balance of all of my concerns. And at a price with not to much risk.
    - lateral support
    - traditional look
    - lower butt height (??)
    - easy(ish) ingress and egress
    - cheap!!

thoughts?

A few more $$... but looks like a better seat. Hard to tell if it's butt position is any lower though
    http://winecountrymotorsports.com/pr...roducts_id=334
    I've used these seats for over 17 years in my MKI. They were the first "mod" I did because the F5 boat seat killed my back. I've had them recovered once in that time and added some lumbar padding and some extra side padding (because the steel bar hurts my tender body). I open track with them and they are comfortable. Taken MANY long trips in them as well. Wife goes to sleep in hers.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info weendoggy. You happen to have a photo of those seats in your mk1? I'd love to see how that particular style looks. I also see they don't have side holes for the seatbelt to pass through. Does it still allow for a pretty snug fit having to wrap the belt over the edge of the seat?

I found a thread with someone who put those Speedway buckets into a replica of an old speedster Claimed there were pretty comfy and supportive.
    https://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/took-the-plunge

And.. found them for $399 a pair with free shipping.
    https://www.appletreeauto.com/roadst...ck-vinyl-pair/

But.. The more I look at those.. the more I doubt I will get the lateral support I'm looking for. Will those deeper seats do enough to keep me planted? I doubt it. Something I'm pretty sure those nice deep low-back Kirkeys will accomplish. And that a fixed-back high-back will easily accomplish. You're correct as usual CraigS.. finding a seat you like is indeed hard to do.

Argh! Having finally committed to a paint color, I honestly thought I was long past any more hard decisions. Who'da guessed I'd be re-thinking Seats.

or

or

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option for you is ultrashield.
    https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/cata...-racing-seats/
    I have the pro road race seat. One huge advantage here is the fabric cover is available in several colors. And it's not black vinyl. Think about getting into that Kirkey after it sat in the sun while you had lunch. You could buy the drag seat and saw off the headrest. See the snaps holding the cover on? The part that they snap to is installed on the aluiminum w/ a pop rivet. So, if you want to move the snap, drill it out, and rivet it on where ever you want. Another advantage of these (and kirkeys) is that it's very easy to add or remove some foam. I have thinned down my bottom a little and added lumbar support. They are also somewhat re-shapable. I bought one an inch too narrow. My floor jack and some 2x6s spread the sides apart just fine.
    Ultrashield by craig stuard, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post

One huge advantage here is the fabric cover is available in several colors. And it's not black vinyl. Think about getting into that Kirkey after it sat in the sun while you had lunch. You could buy the drag seat and saw off the headrest. See the snaps holding the cover on? The part that they snap to is installed on the aluiminum w/ a pop rivet. So, if you want to move the snap, drill it out, and rivet it on where ever you want. Another advantage of these (and kirkeys) is that it's very easy to add or remove some foam. I have thinned down my bottom a little and added lumbar support. They are also somewhat re-shapable. I bought one an inch too narrow. My floor jack and some 2x6s spread the sides apart just fine.
    Just FYI

You could take the same approach with the Kirkey 55 series pro drag seats.

The Kirkey seat covers for those are also available in tweed - much happier in the hot sun than black vinyl.

Not sure why they don't offer tweed covers for the vintage seats...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah.. I saw one of your posts about the Ultrashields.
    The way you trimmed down that seat of yours looks perfect. Almost exactly what I've been trying to find, but nobody quite makes.
    Good support, and relatively easy to get in and out of I assume.
    The "Spec Miata" seat caught my eye. It's just a nice clean lookin' highback. Might not even need the sides trimmed down, if at least only a little.
    I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I'm 6'0' and about 180lbs. the 16" should be the right fit for me yeah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike223 that is good to know. I wasn't aware that Kirkey had fabric available in their other seat design covers.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skidd;331838]Thanks for the info weendoggy. You happen to have a photo of those seats in your mk1? I'd love to see how that particular style looks. I also see they don't have side holes for the seatbelt to pass through. Does it still allow for a pretty snug fit having to wrap the belt over the edge of the seat?

http://www.weendoggy.com/body.htm#seats

Yes, plenty of room for belts to go over the side of the seat, and it does give a nice snug fit.
    Last edited by weendoggy; 07-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks weendoggy... those seats REALLY look good in there. Classic look... nice fit.. lateral support.. easy entry/exit. Hard to argue with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys... I really don't love the look of the Kirkey stock covers.. those custom made ones on Gumballs car are pretty dang nice though. I guess I can price out a few local shops on making covers. I was kinda hoping to avoid some custom upholstery work. Let alone cutting down the sides... Which begs the question.. what's it like getting in and out of a Mk4 with a fixed-back or low back seat? I gotta admit, I'm a bit spoiled right now with the easy in/out on the stock seats.
    I just recently attended the LCS and had a chance to try the kirkey lowbacks. Great lateral support. Not so great getting out. Not a problem for me but for my wife a big NO. I do agree the stock seats provided by FF are great for long periods. Maybe just replace the DS. During an Autocross session last year I just pulled the belts as tight as possible.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Man.. I'm all over the map here.. now I'm looking at the Sparco R100. $285 from a California speed shop
    Looks like it can fit (https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ack-seats.html)
    Doesn't have a sub-belt hole though. I guess if really needed to, I could have one put in by an upholstery shop?
    Should have easy entry/exit, more than enough lateral support for my style. Reclining is a waste, though I can craft a behind-seat pocket.
    Hard to tell, but I suspect mounted to the floor (no slider) It should lower my butt a bit, and also be able to place it far enough back to be at least the same distance as the factory seats. Perhaps farther.

One thing I dislike about San Antonio.. the egregious lack of speed-shops that carry gear to look at in person.
    I'll just have to drive to Austin to WindingRoadRacing.

*edit* I think I need to stop over-thinking this.. and stick with my gut.
    Low Back similar to classic look, with better side support.
    Like Gumballs or Weendoggys
    Last edited by skidd; 07-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Skidd,

If an anti-submarine belt is important to you, may I suggest the OMP Style Sport Seat? As you can see in the picture below, they do fit (though you will have to angle them slightly outboard - more so if you have sliders). I attached the submarine belt to a piece of 1" square tubing sandwiched between the seat and the slider (the end of which is just visible to the right of the top rivet). The OMP also has an adjustable recline. I have no affiliation with OMP, though I do have a pair of their seats.

You may also find the attached spreadsheet useful. It's about 2 1/2 years old, so the prices for sure have changed and some of the seats may not be available.

Cheers,

John

IMG_4735 by jhsitton, on Flickr

IMG_4118 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by phileas_fogg; 07-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks John.. I'm taking a good long look at that OMP seat. I like the sub-belt hole, and the fact that it looks like it would sit nice and low if I put it right on the floor (no sliders).
    It looks like it might sit a bit lower than the Sparco R100. hard to tell in pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you found the information useful. About the OMP seat, I forgot to mention that installing seat heaters was pretty easy too. You just need a set of hog ring pliers and a handful of replacement rings.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing keep forgetting.. and that I have to remind myself of is.. I need better lateral support AND lower butt position.
    As nice as that OMP and R100 seats are, they'll give me the lateral I want, but I keep wondering if I'll get the lowering I need.
    The factory seats are currently bolted right to my floor, with a 3/4" spacer under the front. It's not like I'm really very far off the floor already.
    I just need to go sit in a few, but.. I need to stay focused on a Kirky or Ultrashield. It's that simple. I need to get my butt closer to the floor, and I think those, or some of the other fixed back seats are my only options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know anything about these seats?
    I can't seem to find too much into on them.. except an old post that Mike Forte used to sell them.
    They don't look to have too much padding.. so.. comfort would be an obvious question.
    https://www.butlerbuilt.net/prodrag

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing keep forgetting.. and that I have to remind myself of is.. I need better lateral support AND lower butt position.
    As nice as that OMP and R100 seats are, they'll give me the lateral I want, but I keep wondering if I'll get the lowering I need.
    The factory seats are currently bolted right to my floor, with a 3/4" spacer under the front. It's not like I'm really very far off the floor already.
    I just need to go sit in a few, but.. I need to stay focused on a Kirky or Ultrashield. It's that simple. I need to get my butt closer to the floor, and I think those, or some of the other fixed back seats are my only options.
    It's probably not practical for you to travel around and sit in various seat configurations, so maybe physical dimensions will help. The seat cushion in my car is 4" above the floor without me in the car and I'm estimating 2"-3" with me in the seat. Hope this provides some perspective. Comfort and support are important, so you have a valid reason to be concerned.
    Mark IV -- 04 Mach1 Donor -- 4.6 DOHC -- TKO 600 -- 3:55 Gears -- 3 Link - Hydroboost PS & PB -- 13" PBR's Front & 11.65's Rear -- Cuesta Wiring -- Thompson Signals -- FFR Radiator, heater, wipers, and catalytic converters -- Metco DS safety loop -- Forte 7/8" front bar -- VPM 3/4" rear bar -- Champ road race pan -- Corbeau A4 Seats -- Nitto NT-05's on 17 x 9's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Walt. That does help actually. How tall are you? do the A4s give you decent line of sight?
    I'd say it feels like the stock F5 seats keep me about 3-4" above the floor. I think I could benefit from even just an inch lower. 2 might be ideal.
    I have a Corbeau CR1 in my Subaru, I'm thinking I should just pull it out for a test fit in my cobra.
    I know it's too wide, but it might give me a better idea of how a similar seat will fit compared to the stockers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Walt. That does help actually. How tall are you? do the A4s give you decent line of sight?
    I'd say it feels like the stock F5 seats keep me about 3-4" above the floor. I think I could benefit from even just an inch lower. 2 might be ideal.
    I have a Corbeau CR1 in my Subaru, I'm thinking I should just pull it out for a test fit in my cobra.
    I know it's too wide, but it might give me a better idea of how a similar seat will fit compared to the stockers.
    I am 5'9" and my line of sight is 2" above the top of the leather steering wheel or 6" below the top of the windshield.
    With my wife's help, we measured how much my 160#'s compresses the seat and it turns out to be very close to 1 1/2". You are taller and heavier making it harder to extrapolate accurate dimensions for you. The A4's fit the car very well, so you might download an A4 dimension chart and use it as a guide as you continue your search.

Post Thanks / Like
    ButlerBuilt has been around a long time more in circle track racing from what I have seen. I believe they have a good reputation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Decision. Made. I was pretty evenly torn between the OMP, the vinyl r100 and the kirkey lowback. But, I found a deal on the kirkeys I could not pass up. Which I'm good with, since I just couldn't let go of the low-back look.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you know how it goes once I install them in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent. Now the next research topic may be roll bar mounted headrests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Already done. I just need to put in some spacers to bring them a bit more forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    At first.. I was not impressed... not impressed at all.
    Kirkey Low Backs mounted to the floor.
    I spent the better part of an hour trying to find the position I'd like. Oddly enough, I just couldn't find a good comfortable driving position.
    Lean back, lean forward, straight up.. on the floor, raised off the floor... couldn't get it to feel right.
    Took a while before I figured out what was missing. Lumbar support. My Corbeau in my Subaru has good lumbar, and the stock F5 seats also seem to have decent lumbar.
    I happen to prefer a pretty vertical driving position. I need a seat that is good for that.
    So.. I ran to Target and snagged one of those memory foam pillows. Cut it into the shape I wanted (it was actually just 1/4 of the pillow), positioned it behind my back under the seat cover.. and BOOM!
    It's pretty much perfect now. My line of site is right in the middle of the windshield. I love that part.
    The position is a lot different than the stock seats though, and I couldn't yet tell if I truely liked it or not.
    Until I went for a spirited drive around the neighborhood.
    I didn't realize how much I was relying on the steering wheel to hold me in place. Now that the seat holds me to the car, driving actually became easier. The steering was even less twitchy.
    Needless to say, I'm totally sold.. I'd actually say that the stock F5 seats are just a little more comfortable.. but.. can't compete with every thing else the Kirkey seat does for me.
    It'll take a few more miles, and a long-ish trip before I really know for sure.. but.. I'm pretty happy so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Backdraft Racing Iconic Low Back Seats with Alcantara

I see you already made your decision but I thought I’d offer up some other options for others who are looking for info on here.

We’ve got Factory Five Roadsters, but there are other companies out there making similar cars with different seat options. Keeping that in mind, I’ve had my eye on the Backdraft Racing low back seats. They’re available from Iconic Parts for $850/pair. You get the low back classic look with a little bit of bolstering, and it won’t impede getting in and out of the car.

https://www.iconicparts.com/leather-seats.html

Another option would be to visit an upholsterer and have them stitch in Alcantara/Ultrasuede into the center area to keep your u but planted more.

Or, get the seats from Iconic AND add Alcantara/Ultrasuede. I’ve seriously considered doing that but went a different route with my build. I’m attaching pics of the standard seat as well as shots of them installed with various customizations
    Last edited by chrisarella; 06-05-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.

Post Thanks / Like

New Ultrashield lowback seat

I've been working with UltraShield and their new Low Back Roadster seat. I have a prototype in my possesion and very impressed with what I've seen. Cover snaps on / off and is a higher than normal quality. Seat comes in 15, 16 or 17" widths. Good lateral support yet still looks like a roadster seat.

UltraShield_LowBack.jpg

Lot of guys have gone with the highback UltraShields and been very pleased with them. This answers the need for the low back crowd.

More details to follow

Paul
    Last edited by PaulProe; 07-29-2018 at 04:38 PM.

36. Likes chrisarella liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang! That's a really nice seat! When I was on the phone with Ultrashield a few weeks ago, they didn't even "hint" that thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
    I've been working with UltraShield and their new Low Back Roadster seat. I have a prototype in my possesion and very impressed with what I've seen. Cover snaps on / off and is a higher than normal quality. Seat comes in 15, 16 or 17" widths. Good lateral support yet still looks like a roadster seat.

UltraShield_LowBack.jpg

Lot of guys have gone with the highback UltraShields and been very pleased with them. This answers the need for the low back crowd.

More details to follow

Paul
    Paul - sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if you mind sharing some feedback on the Ultrashield low back roadster seats now that you've had them for a bit? I just came across this thread, and this looks like a really interesting seat to me.

Thanks,
    John
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Paul - sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was wondering if you mind sharing some feedback on the Ultrashield low back roadster seats now that you've had them for a bit? I just came across this thread, and this looks like a really interesting seat to me.

Thanks,
    John
    Hey John, I'm a friend of Paul's. I just might be the first one to get a set of these seats. I really like them. They added a lot more room for me compared to the FF seats. (that's what I was looking for) Very comfortable to me and they hold me much better than the FF seats. I used a 3/4" spacer in the front and mounted the back directly to the floor to give them a bit more layback. Added an extra 1/2 scrap of carpet pad under the cushion. When I first got them I wanted to add some lumbar support. I kept putting that off and now I think I might not need it. My wife still wants it added to hers. I had to get her a 2" piece of foam to put under her seat base. She's a shorty. My only dislike is the vinyl. It's a personal preference that I just don't like vinyl. I think it's a quality vinyl though. Over all I really like them and they look much better than the Kirkey low back. I'm happy I switched from the FF seats. If your looking for a bit more room, short back, good looks and something that holds you better..... this is a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tony. Thanks for taking the time to share your input on these seats. I really appreciate it. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with them. I'm planning to use the Breeze seat install kit, which will give them some additional layback. Hopefully it's not too much. I suffer from chronic lower back pain, so seat ergonomics are important to me. I'll definitely be adding some sort of lumbar support, probably an inflatable bladder that I can adjust,. along with seat heaters. Your comment on the vinyl supports my initial reaction from seeing the seats in photos. Worst case, I could have a local upholstery shop make a set of seat covers in real leather. Is the padding in the seat separate from the cover, or attached to it. Could I just slip the cover off and take it to a shop and ask them to replicate it in leather?
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    John, the seat is made like a race seat with an aluminum shell. The cover snaps on and off real easy. The foam is made into the cover and base. I'm sure you could just take the cover and base to the upholstery shop and they could copy it. They may need to replace some of the foam. That's what I plan on doing one of these days. Wanting to have them just add leather to the parts that show and would be touched. Plus add the heaters at that time. Right now I have the car in the paint shop and the seats in my basement. I'll take some photos tonight so you can see how they are made. I have about 2500 miles of seat time and can't wait to get my butt back in that seat. I'll post those photos tomorrow.

42. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast