Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Any issues having your land rocket in HOA community?

Post Thanks / Like

Any issues having your land rocket in HOA community?

Hello,

Just wanted some feedback on living in community govern by HOA.
    It seems that in FL almost every neighborhood has one. They do have pretty lengthy rules on what car is/isn't allowed.

I guess my main worry would be some people complaining about my side pipes.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    The way I read it is that everything noted IS allowed so long as it is parked in the garage with the door closed and not left outside.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll get curtain twitchers whether you're in an HOA community or not. I live in one and my neighbours fall into two camps: they LOVE the Cobra and come outside to see/hear it, or they think it's just a loud car. I don't know there's anything in my rulebook (I've never looked!) but according to yours, the only exhaust related item is 'modified' which I'm assuming yours is not. 'Roll-bars' might infringe, but then they're technically OEM.

Don't do donuts or burnouts and I'm sure you'll be fine. It *is* possible to drive these cars relatively quietly. Or so I've read. :-)
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    We have an HOA, but on problems so far. My problem is, when I start it, it sets off my wife's car alarm. The 16.5 inch wheels wold eliminate my Impala. It has 18" wheels, standard equipment.

The county solicitor (prosecutes all misdemeanors) lives 5 houses down and has two load cars.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-11-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Just re-read this: "...vehicles of any type with wheel rims larger than 16.5 inches diameter...".

Seriously?

Best start reporting those 'damned kids and their bicycles'.
    Last edited by Paparazzi; 07-11-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully you won't have some miserable old hag or conformist, rule-obsessed geek measuring your wheel diameter for 16.5" if you park the roadster in the driveway.

"I guess my main worry would be some people complaining about my side pipes."

If someone went to the trouble of drafting that onerous clause, someone will likely be offended by the side pipes too.
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 07-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! And I thought the U. S. of A. was a free country!
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob McCrea View Post
    Hopefully you won't have some miserable old hag or conformist, rule-obsessed geek measuring your wheel diameter for 16.5" if you park the roadster in the driveway.

"I guess my main worry would be some people complaining about my side pipes."

If someone went to the trouble of drafting that onerous clause, someone will likely be offended by the side pipes too.
    In life someone looking to be offended will be offended.

I am easy on the gas coming & going from the subdivision 13 houses. Had the car laid up for bad weather, its a daily driver, & a couple neighbors asked my wife if I was OK. So no issues with the neighbors 50% of whom are car people. I use one guys lift on occasion.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, My family and I would be kicked out of your neighborhood. I think we have half of that stuff. Although, The only thing I store outside is my truck, but it violates at least four of the rules by itself.

I don't see anything mentioned about exhaust sound in the section you posted, so if that's all there is to it, the wheel size is probably your main concern. Even the wheel size seems a little outdated, since most new vehicles come with bigger wheels than that from the factory now a days.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Tequesta, a nearby community and have friends that live in "The Shores". The general purposes of the restrictions as noted is to keep commercial and "unusual" vehicles out of sight. Keep the Cobra in the garage and you will be OK. Plenty of High Performance vehicles running around in that neighborhood. Florida HOA's all try to limit the visual exposure of commercial vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The way I read it is that everything noted IS allowed so long as it is parked in the garage with the door closed and not left outside.

Jeff
    Haha! right?! You get me in trouble sir!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Dang, My family and I would be kicked out of your neighborhood. I think we have half of that stuff. Although, The only thing I store outside is my truck, but it violates at least four of the rules by itself.

I don't see anything mentioned about exhaust sound in the section you posted, so if that's all there is to it, the wheel size is probably your main concern. Even the wheel size seems a little outdated, since most new vehicles come with bigger wheels than that from the factory now a days.
    I hear you, I have never lived in HOA community before. But it is in great school district with low maintenance so it makes sense to me now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE A View Post
    I live in Tequesta, a nearby community and have friends that live in "The Shores". The general purposes of the restrictions as noted is to keep commercial and "unusual" vehicles out of sight. Keep the Cobra in the garage and you will be OK. Plenty of High Performance vehicles running around in that neighborhood. Florida HOA's all try to limit the visual exposure of commercial vehicles.
    Glad to hear! Hope to see you around...once we move there, sometimes in August.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep an eye on where the semi-colons ( ; ) are located in the text. The modified exhaust portion is only valid for 4X4 Off-Road vehicles. Your roadster side-pipes are not listed so should not be a problem for you. The rims greater that 16.5" might be an issue for you. From what I have read though, most of the roadsters are going with 15" rims.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    "...; except four-wheel passenger automobiles:..."

You're fine, the Cobra is exempt.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    "...; except four-wheel passenger automobiles:..."

You're fine, the Cobra is exempt.
    Right, Chris. This is what I see as well. It made me worry.

For example, realtor told me that the neighborhood is 'full' of kids - yet, when looking around I see none, no toys, no junk/mess around Only super clean and neat streets!

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in one that basically says the same thing. I was the president for about 3 years, I am currently not on the board. You should be fine, as long as it is garaged. Also though, if the streets dont belong to the community, as in they turned them over to the city for maintenance, then you follow city guidelines for how you park vehicles. I have a friend who has a cable truck, he cant park it in his driveway cause we dont allow that. But the streets dont belong to us, they belong to the city, so he parks his truck on the city street that doesnt currently have any mandates about parking commercial trucks! ha

Post Thanks / Like
    No issues in our HOA neighborhood so far. But we have a small neighborhood and we're friends with one another. I think if you're respectful, you'll be a welcome neighbor.

But in the morning, I try to idle quietly out of the neighborhood; then I idle past the police station; and finally I'll idle quietly past the campground. But then I'll then open it up on the highway.
    (P.S. It's fun to see the looks on the camper's faces as I idle by) tip toe, tip toe

out of the neighborhood by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I idle in and out of my neighborhood also. NEVER any shenanigans in the neighborhood even when neighbors have asked for it.
    I even push my car to the end of the street when leaving really early, like 5:00am, for a further away autocross. Immediate start and takeoff, warm-up at Home Depot a couple blocks away.

I always assume that someone's baby is sleeping and act accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never have a problem with my HOA. I am on the Board and I am the first to get notices of any violations reported.

I also take it easy around the neighborhood and we have our own version of "Cars and Coffee" once a month with all the neighborhood's interesting cars.
    Larry Johnson
    Colleyville, Texas (DFW area)
    2016 Mark IV complete kit
    Delivered March 3, 2016
    New 2016 Roush Coyote engine w/453 hp
    2016 IRS, Tremec T600 mid shifter

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Man I Am Loving Living In Louisiana & Working In New Orleans More & More & More!

Bars That Don't Close, The Coveted Go Cup, Drive Through Daiquiri Shops, The French Quarter & Bourbon Street & The List Goes On!

Sorry Comrade, But H.O.A.'s Often Make Any Place Worse, Usually Much Worse, But You'll Be Fine If You Close The Garage Door!

Move South, Move South, Move South!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-11-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Man I Am Loving Living In Louisiana & Working In New Orleans More & More & More!

Bars That Don't Close, The Coveted Go Cup, Drive Through Daiquiri Shops, The French Quarter & Bourbon Street & The List Goes On!

Sorry Comrade, But H.O.A.'s Often Make Any Place Worse, Usually Much Worse, But You'll Be Fine If You Close The Garage Door!

Move South, Move South, Move South!
    Pretty sure you can't get much further south than FL, and I don't want to live next door to a house with a broken down camper in the yard and a crappy shed built on my property line and their house painted bright pink. But to each their own!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Pretty sure you can't get much further south than FL, and I don't want to live next door to a house with a broken down camper in the yard and a crappy shed built on my property line and their house painted bright pink. But to each their own!
    Campers are allowed where we live; however, they must be parked behind the front of your home and behind a privacy style gate and fence.

Also, I don't think we have any "Pink Houses" but I am willing to go look for you.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-11-2018 at 08:12 PM.

24. Likes Bobby Doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't saying there were broken down campers where you are, just saying that deed restricted or HOA isn't always bad. It all depends on your life style. There was a neighbor that moved in and moved out within 6 months because he couldn't keep his trailer in the driveway. Did he not read the rules of the community before buying? So it's all good. My point is that the side pipes should not be an issue and while MANY HOAs stink, not all are bad.
    Last edited by mburger; 07-11-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like DadofThree above, I choose to idle out of my HOA governed complex any time I start the Cobra. I start it in the garage, which is isolated from the homes, let it idle for a minute or two (depending on the season/weather) and then back out to the parking lot adjacent to my garage. Then it's a short down hill idle to the property gate and out on to the city streets. I try not to "annoy" my neighbors, hoping that they will return the curiosity. My local city ordinance states that there is a "noise curfew" from 11:00pm to 7:00am so I start the car at 7:01 Saturday mornings for Cars & Coffee. 2-1/2 years here with no issues at all - those that have seen the car love it and want to know more about it . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    For example, realtor told me that the neighborhood is 'full' of kids - yet, when looking around I see none, no toys, no junk/mess around Only super clean and neat streets!
    So you have the Stepford Children in the neighborhood, what about the Stepford wives, you have them too?
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    I believe Jeff hit the nail on the head. As long as it's in a garage, you're fine.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I also live in an HOA governed community in AZ. As others, I idle out of the neighborhood and take it easy on the public street just outside our gates. The car draws many smiles, thumbs up, etc from neighbors and other residents. It also occasionally draws the "stink eye" from a few, but no complaints! Our community has many really nice hot rods / muscle cars /collector cars, including another FFR. and we have actually started an informal car club here. The neighbors are getting accustomed to us!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is you're lucky you don't have a roof top mounted Air Conditioner on your car......................
    :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

Just take the current board members for a ride. They'll never hassle you about the car.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
    You'll get curtain twitchers whether you're in an HOA community or not. I live in one and my neighbours fall into two camps: they LOVE the Cobra and come outside to see/hear it, or they think it's just a loud car. I don't know there's anything in my rulebook (I've never looked!) but according to yours, the only exhaust related item is 'modified' which I'm assuming yours is not. 'Roll-bars' might infringe, but then they're technically OEM.

Don't do donuts or burnouts and I'm sure you'll be fine. It *is* possible to drive these cars relatively quietly. Or so I've read. :-)
    This

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a bigger problem than the pipes. The neighbors had a fit. It. Locked traffic for 2 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just another Saturday at Jeff's house---no HOA

Really Martin, as long as you're respectful of the neighbors I don't think you'll have any problem...and in the end what powers of enforcement does the Association have?

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    and in the end what powers of enforcement does the Association have?

Jeff

In some states the HOA has the power to foreclose on your home and sell it out from under you.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesn't say anything about no burnouts or drifting.........you'll be alright!